What WORKS? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-02-2007, 09:18 AM

I want to do something about animal rights, but apart from veganism I can't figure out a way to reach out to people that actually works. It is usually either too radical for most people to fathom or they just don't care. With that in mind, how do you reach out to people without alienating them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Beginner

This might sound very simple, but when I first went vegan, I pondered the same question as you. I pored over AR literature and just basically couldnt understand why people ate meat & didnt care. I was miserable and felt powerless.

My solution was (and is): cooking kickass vegan food for people. Lots of people see an ethical reasoning for veg*nism, but think that they have to sacrifice taste to do so. I bake vegan cupcakes, make wonderful lunches and have people over for dinner and make great vegan food. People always ask for recipes from me. The fact that it is vegan is secondary.

So whenever I pass a recipe to someone, hear a friend tell me they ordered tofu in a restaurant because they liked what I made the other night or tell someone at work exactly what is in the dish I'm microwaving because they want to know how to duplicate it, in a simple way I'm contributing to promoting veganism and helping in the best possible way I know.

This usually leads to a discussion about why I am vegan and that is pretty easy to explain.
#3 Old 11-04-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophia_cat View Post

This might sound very simple, but when I first went vegan, I pondered the same question as you. I pored over AR literature and just basically couldnt understand why people ate meat & didnt care. I was miserable and felt powerless.

My solution was (and is): cooking kickass vegan food for people. Lots of people see an ethical reasoning for veg*nism, but think that they have to sacrifice taste to do so. I bake vegan cupcakes, make wonderful lunches and have people over for dinner and make great vegan food. People always ask for recipes from me. The fact that it is vegan is secondary.

So whenever I pass a recipe to someone, hear a friend tell me they ordered tofu in a restaurant because they liked what I made the other night or tell someone at work exactly what is in the dish I'm microwaving because they want to know how to duplicate it, in a simple way I'm contributing to promoting veganism and helping in the best possible way I know.

This usually leads to a discussion about why I am vegan and that is pretty easy to explain.

Man that is so great! I did things like that when I was in highschool. I was able to get the principle to let me have what I called a "secret bakesale" to raise money for the Humane Society. Of course EVERYONE asked what the 'secret' was to the bakesale, I told them they wouldn't find out until they ate the item they purchased. LOL, after that I gave them a card that included the recipe and explained how the items were 100% vegan and it explained what that meant. the look on people's faces were priceless, they never knew it could be so tasty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegreenmom View Post

Man that is so great! I did things like that when I was in highschool. I was able to get the principle to let me have what I called a "secret bakesale" to raise money for the Humane Society. Of course EVERYONE asked what the 'secret' was to the bakesale, I told them they wouldn't find out until they ate the item they purchased. LOL, after that I gave them a card that included the recipe and explained how the items were 100% vegan and it explained what that meant. the look on people's faces were priceless, they never knew it could be so tasty!

That's soooo cool!

Have you got a cupcake recipe? Id love to have it
#5 Old 11-05-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUDDY View Post

That's soooo cool!

Have you got a cupcake recipe? Id love to have it

I'm not around my recipes atm, but I'll PM you later tonight when I get on
#6 Old 11-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I think others have hit the nail on the head. People don't want to hear the negative. It makes them defensive, because it's an attack against their current way of life.

The solution is to accentuate the positive! Introduce them to good foods, then point out that those foods are cholesterol free, don't cause global warming like animal farming does, and only then mention the cruelty to animals that you avoid by being veg.

I love that secret bake sale, by the way. That's terrific. You should post that (with recipes) on the teen subforum as a suggestion. That's a great way to reach young, impressionable minds.

--Fromper

#7 Old 11-05-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I love that secret bake sale, by the way. That's terrific. You should post that (with recipes) on the teen subforum as a suggestion. That's a great way to reach young, impressionable minds.

--Fromper

Thank you! Once I'm able to get my recipes together I think I just might do that . It was my favorite thing I think I ever did when I was a vegetarian. Heck, it's my favorite thing I did as a teen maybe lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page