Few reasons you may not be Vegetarian without realising it. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Greetings. All of us here strive to do better for our environment as much as we do for our health. Vegetarianism is a way of life, each person here wants to do so for a reason be it love of nature, humanitarian reasons or religious reasons. This thread is just a reminder for everyone about how tricky being a real-vegetarian is. Some of the points that follow maybe strictly personal opinions but they will never be far from the truth. I  encourage many people to contribute their opinions so people reading this will have a great guideline to live by.

You are not a veggie if :

1. You buy genuine animal/reptilian leather for furniture, shoes, belts, etc.

Remedy : Artificial PVC leather is actually cheaper and longer lasting. Alcantara leather is premium while being completely artificial and animal friendly. Remember using real leather is a mockery of animal life.

2. Chocolates : Yes, chocolates do have egg whites on them *gasp* dont shoot me.

Remedy : Many big chocolate brands do not have egg as ingredient and duly mention it, and they taste just as good. smiley.gif

3. Pastries : As much as you love them, eggless pastries/cakes are a rare find.

Remedy : Avoid

4. Supplements : We all need a little help once in a while through food supplements, but cod-liver oil and many anti-oxidants carry animal products. Do read ingredients very closely!

Remedy : A wide range of effective herbal supplements consisting of Vitamin A/Beta carotine antioxidants are available like Carofit/Spiruluna etc.

Our veggie diet can only get us halfway to our goal of making this earth a better place to live in. Please spread this message to as many people as possible. More points are welcome so that we can keep evolving to be better people.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

The original definition of vegetarianism is more or less modern-day veganism.

http://www.ivu.org/history/Vegan_History.pdf

Quote:

3. Pastries : As much as you love them, eggless pastries/cakes are a rare find.

Remedy : Avoid

Or buy those that lack animal ingredients. Vegan bakeries, cafes, and some grocery stores carry vegan (or "accidentally vegan" products). Better yet, it's also great to make your own vegan pastries, pies, and cakes at home. chef.gif

Aristede book2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#3 Old 07-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

2. I often buy dark chocolate so I look at a lot of labels. I have never seen egg anything!

3. Pastries: my kitchen. Not rare enough.

4. Many vegan brands--like Deva. Everything from d2 to omega dha and glucosamine!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

The original definition of vegetarianism is more or less modern-day veganism.

Glad you mentioned it, because the vegetarianism I knew of before joining this forum was infact veganism. My guess is since there is so much confusion internationally veganism evolved from vegetarianism.

#5 Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

2. I often buy dark chocolate so I look at a lot of labels. I have never seen egg anything!

True, many brands do not have egg ingredients as they substitute it for a cheaper soy lecithin. Nougat based confectionary apart from many others do have it though. Examples are Milky Way, Snickers, Mars, Toblerone etc

#6 Old 07-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun View Post

True, many brands do not have egg ingredients as they substitute it for a cheaper soy lecithin. Nougat based confectionary apart from many others do have it though. Examples are Milky Way, Snickers, Mars, Toblerone etc

Do you think of vegetarianism as including dairy, but not egg? I took it for granted you were going with vegan. All thoes candies mentioned have dairy
I was also only thinking of plain chocolate.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 07-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I took it for granted you were going with vegan. All thoes candies mentioned have dairy
I was also only thinking of plain chocolate.

Yes for the benefit of most people in this forum who seem to understand the concept of Vegetarian-Vegan better, I decided to keep that distinction & write this to help people graduate to Vegetarian first. Vegans by themselves need little advice, they are fully evolved in the diet system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page