9Likes
  • 2 Post By LedBoots
  • 2 Post By Go Vegan
  • 1 Post By Ashwani
  • 3 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 02-20-2015, 09:57 AM

Key To Happiness.

I think the key to happiness is: Simple living & Contentment.

If one lives a simple lifestyle (does not crave for unnecessary expensive material things), then he/she will be happy, even if he earns less, since the cost of living will be low in this case.

Also, if somebody is content with whatever he/she possesses, then one will always be at peace with oneself. Of course one should always strive hard to achieve better in life.

What do you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-20-2015, 11:49 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I agree, AshwaniKantroo. Material things are just a passing thrill. The people, passions, work, and laughter are what you will remember and smile about in old age.
#3 Old 02-21-2015, 02:17 AM
Vegan as f**k

Wise words

I do like to buy stuff though so maybe I need more practice
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-21-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
Wise words

Sometimes, I too crave for the new stuff. I prefer to go for the inexpensive one without compromising much on the quality of the product.
LedBoots likes this.
#5 Old 02-21-2015, 09:58 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
Wise words

Sure, we all do. It's just a matter of priorities. Stuff is only harmful if it overtakes the really important stuff.
Ashwani, no whey jose and BlueMts like this.
#6 Old 02-21-2015, 07:49 PM
Vegan as f**k

Very true!
#7 Old 09-28-2015, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
The people, passions, work, and laughter are what you will remember and smile about in old age.
Why to think about old age? To leave this moment not for a future is a key fro happiness (as for me). Seize the hour!

Author from
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 10-23-2015, 10:02 AM

I think simple living is helpful in obtaining happiness but may not be the only thing to make someone happy.
#9 Old 10-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Beginner

Simple living is great but I think the key to happiness is having a sense of purpose.
#10 Old 10-23-2015, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwani View Post
I think the key to happiness is: Simple living & Contentment.

If one lives a simple lifestyle (does not crave for unnecessary expensive material things), then he/she will be happy, even if he earns less, since the cost of living will be low in this case.

Also, if somebody is content with whatever he/she possesses, then one will always be at peace with oneself. Of course one should always strive hard to achieve better in life.

What do you think.
I certainly think Western materialism is antagonistic to inner peace.

In the West we live under a constant barrage of messages designed to provoke discontent with how we are and who we are, and the only answer is to buy product X in order to alleviate that lack.

There's nothing wrong with owning, enjoying and appreciating nice things, be they clothes, flowers, food or art works etc. The issue as I see it, is internalising the message that both we and our lives simply aren't 'good enough' without those things that other people want us to buy from them.

I enjoy things, but I don't crave them; I almost always buy second hand in order to make the best use of my money and of the planet's resources. I also have a small home, so I regularly donate things when I no longer need or want them.

I bypass the barrage of "your life isn't good enough without product X" messages by not watching TV or reading papers (and I use ad blockers online). Living life advert free is liberating and peace inducing in its own right.

I usually feel rather jittery and overwhelmed when I have to endure an evening in someone else's home if the television is on full blast and no-one shuts the adverts down.
#11 Old 10-23-2015, 11:08 AM
Beginner

Simplicity and being ego free are two of the most important factors in my opinion. Incredibly hard to achieve both in the world we live in.

I could give up my phone, tv, games console, car, laptop but would that make me happy?

That would make me jobless, bored and probably friendless.

I think when I'm 40 and bored with the modern world I'll sell everything and move to Asia to be a monk haha.
#12 Old 10-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Beginner

it's different for everyone. but i would assume that a key would be to live simply...be that less material objects, less abuse of others, more in tune with nature, etc...

Dog, guts and guns..
#13 Old 10-23-2015, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Being able to accept and embrace who you are, but still be vulnerable enough to realize you need others.

This is one of the hardest concepts for me. It isn't even material things I seek. In my head daily it's...you will never be smart enough, fast enough, thin enough, strong enough....You are too quiet, too shy, too sensitive, you gotta have tougher skin, gotta speak up, be more outgoing, bla bla bla. This is what I say to myself every day...you're so stupid Elaine. You don't even have a backbone. You're a fat slob. A worthless human being. Selfish.

I would never think these thoughts about others, much less ever say them to anyone. But some days honestly I can't even stand to look at myself or hold my head up. Even if I have worked really hard, put others first, tried my hardest, loved someone. Even if I took care of myself, lived in the most compassionate way I knew how, I still have this self hate and I still don't know quite where it came from and how to overcome it. :/ A lot of it I think is because the qualities I possess are not sought after qualities, but tend to be downplayed or thought of as defects. I am an extreme introvert, I am shy, quiet, sensitive. I am soft, passive. But...I am also passionate, compassionate, extremely patient, caring, hard working, loyal.

I was never really taught to love my body and myself. I was taught...by family, by culture, by social norms, by tragic circumstance....to always put others needs first. To not love my body but abuse it because this is what people do to feel better. They smoke, diet, starve, eat crap and stuff themselves, overwork themselves, never sleep, self cut and other forms of self harm. They push their bodies past the brink and society cheers on the ones who can do the most of this.

The material stuff is just the symbol of success, just the afterthought. Figuring out who I am at the core and loving that person, that's where I feel peace would finally come into my life. Then I could spend more time loving others and less wasting energy on all the negative thoughts and feelings that permeate my brain all the time.
Sidhuriel likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#14 Old 10-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

“It is in the nature of things that joy arises in a person free from remorse.”
The Buddha (Cetana Sutta, Anguttara Nikaya)
#15 Old 01-18-2017, 08:25 AM

My key to happiness is the hope that tomorrow will be better than today.
#16 Old 01-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Peace

I have had two near death experiences the past two years, and I have found that I make my own happiness. I am chronically ill and I could be sorry for myself all the time because I am seriously disabled.

My doctor said yesterday, there's only two ways to deal with what I have. Go crazy or accept it. I am accepting it, and through that I can say I am at peace.

I find the beauty in small things, like the singing of birds outside my window in the morning. A great sunrise. A nice dinner. There are so many things to love. It's just what you put your focus on.

I know this is easier said than done, my illness forced me to start thinking this way. Before I was ill I used to suffer depression and would have laughed at my own suggestions now as unattainable, but for me it really changed my life.

I am happy. I also meditate and have become a Buddhist, and I believe I have found a permanent centre of peace in myself. I am at peace.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#17 Old 05-23-2017, 01:18 AM

Yep, less is more. Lead a simple life, open up you heart and look forward to tommorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page