Need help understanding IgG results (food sensitivity questions) *long* - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I have had stomach issues pretty much my entire life.  When I was younger I remember laying down with a stomach ache almost every night after dinner. 

When I was 18 I cut meat out of my diet.  Around then I developed oral allergies (not true allergies but my throat gets itchy and my lips get swollen.)  I can’t eat RAW apples, peaches, plums, cherries, or blackberries.  I went to an allergist and discovered I’m allergic to almonds.

I am now 24 and mostly follow a vegan diet, but I will eat food with small amounts of dairy products.  I believe I am lactose intolerant, which contributed to the stomach issues.  If I eat something very cheesy, I get a stomach ache immediately after, as well as…bathroom issues.

But even with cutting back on dairy I still get the occasional stomachache with cramping, diarrhea, etc.

I started going to a naturopath this summer and began taking probiotics, enzymes, and drinking marshmallow root tea; all to aid with digestion.

I had a lot of bloodwork done, and just received my results.  I specifically need help interpreting my IgG food antibody results. 

I had NO high (3+) or moderate (2+) results.

I had a low (1+) response to the following foods: apple, string bean, kidney bean, pinto bean. 

I had a very low response to the following foods: banana, cranberry, grapefruit, plum, alfalfa, asparagus, cabbage, pea, tomato, zucchini, corn, lima bean, oat, sesame, wheat, yeast, coffee.

My doctor basically told me to decrease my intake of wheat, corn, and beans because they are difficult to digest.  She also wants me to follow a rotation diet, which is basically spreading out when I eat the foods on my IgG results.  (If I eat a banana, don’t eat another one for four days, etc.)

I asked her if I really need to avoid the “very low” food items, and she said yes.  If I have several of those items on the same day, it could contribute to my stomach pain and fatigue. 

Should I try to do a gluten-free diet?  I feel like my food choices are so limited now.  Even if I have brown rice pasta I can't eat it with tomato sauce because of my tomato sensitivity.  I have been eating a LOT of salads and other fruits and vegetables the past few days.  I used to eat a lot of whole wheat pasta, bread, etc.

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions you can offer.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Banned

You don't need to eat gluten free, just follow your doctors advice about spreading out and rotating foods.

For sure stick to the probiotics and don't eat dairy.
#3 Old 08-05-2012, 08:55 PM

Seconding the "don't eat dairy" advice. If you suspect you're sensitive to it at all, I recommend eliminating it completely (label check things carefully, you may be eating casein/whey/dairy products without realizing it too) for a few weeks and seeing how you feel. Even in very small quantities, or not often, it can cause a reaction if you're intolerant/allergic. I'm allergic to dairy, and sometimes even tiny amounts can set off a reaction for me these days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for your responses!  I have basically eliminated the low and very low response foods from my diet.  I need to remind myself that I CAN eat them, I just need to spread it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page