Call from "Blocked" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-23-2011, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Yesterday I received a call on my cell phone and it came up as "Blocked." Anyone know what that's about?

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Um, someone set their number as blocked. Either you trust in the universe and answer it or you let it go to voicemail. Either decision is the right decision.
#3 Old 01-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

If I don't recognize a number and it's not local, I let it go to VM. I don't have a password to my VM, so I can't ever listen to them. I figure if it's important enough, they'll call back. If it's a recruiter (for a new job), they will e-mail you 99% of the time anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

If it comes up as blocked, it means it's a silent, unlisted or private number ( from the directory).

m8itcanw8.com
#5 Old 01-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

If the person dialed *67 before your number it can also block their incoming number.
#6 Old 01-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

"Blocked is never a good thing, in my experience. "Private" is something a bit different; my parents' number comes up as that, but even knowing that I'll usually ignore it and call back if it was them.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? -Bill Hicks
#7 Old 01-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

In my experience, blocked numbers usually mean sales calls or bill collectors.
#8 Old 01-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post

"Blocked is never a good thing, in my experience. "Private" is something a bit different; my parents' number comes up as that, but even knowing that I'll usually ignore it and call back if it was them.

My parents' number come up "Restricted" but I usually ignore it also and just call them a few mins later to see if it was them.
#9 Old 01-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

i've never seen blocked on a call. my grandparents show up as unknown because it's an international number.
i don't answer any number i don't know except when i've been expecting a call from an unknown number. if it's important they'll leave a message
#10 Old 01-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

We do have a movie that we kept longer than we were supposed to but if it was the video store I figured they'd leave a message.

As far as I know we don't owe anyone money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 01-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry about that, Michael, I was calling you to find out where you would like me to send you the latest extortion check. I presume you are no longer interested in the money.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#12 Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Bummer. On my phone, blocked usually means it's my mum calling on her land-line which is a silent #.

m8itcanw8.com
#13 Old 01-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Banned

I answered a couple "Blocked" numbered calls and they were Allstate's auto club (like AAA) trying to get me to sign up.
#14 Old 01-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Yesterday I received a call on my cell phone and it came up as "Blocked." Anyone know what that's about?

I had the same thing this past Saturday.I ignored the call.
#15 Old 01-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

We get those calls a lot. I've learned to ignore them since they've always been some sort of telemarketing thing.
#16 Old 01-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

It should be illegal for telemarketers to block their numbers.
#17 Old 01-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

It means that your phone autorejected the number in horror.

Maybe something like 666-666-666?

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#18 Old 01-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Banned

When my work calls me in at 4am they use "blocked". I quickly trained myself not to answer, until I got my first warning of course. :s
#19 Old 01-30-2011, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

When my work calls me in at 4am they use "blocked". I quickly trained myself not to answer, until I got my first warning of course. :s

Ouch. That hardly seems fair.

#20 Old 01-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I either ignore them or hang up on them, depends on my mood. Same with 'unlisted number.' When the kids were younger, I'd answer then give them the phone to play with.
#21 Old 01-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

If I don't recognize the number calling, or if it's blocked or whatever, I don't answer. If they want to talk to me, they can leave a message - and the message had better say who they are. I have a lot of bill collectors after me, for debts incurred MANY years ago. I often get messages like "This is an important message for (pause) Randy Raphael (pause). Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx immediately." ummm... no. If you can't identify yourself, I ain't calling you back.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#22 Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

If I don't recognize the number calling, or if it's blocked or whatever, I don't answer.

There's an app for that, dude.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? -Bill Hicks
#23 Old 02-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah, i never answer blocked calls either. if it's that important they can leave a message.
and i asked my parents to always dial *82 and then my number so i'll always know it's them and answer right away. cuz i would never not want to not answer them, especially now that their getting on in years.

carpe vegiem
#24 Old 02-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

I was employed by a place that did that. Sneaky *******s!
#25 Old 02-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiSis View Post

yeah, i never answer blocked calls either. if it's that important they can leave a message.
and i asked my parents to always dial *82 and then my number so i'll always know it's them and answer right away. cuz i would never not want to not answer them, especially now that their getting on in years.

What does *82 do?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#26 Old 02-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

What does *82 do?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dial+*82

#27 Old 02-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dial+*82

Thanks.

#28 Old 02-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

De nada. I love that site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page