Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 5 Post By 121674
  • 4 Post By meagan36
  • 2 Post By Purp

#1 Old 06-10-2017, 08:00 PM
From Le Dergoncave

Lightbulb My Parents

My dad went vegan in December 2016, and my mom went vegan a month later in January 2017. I would've announced this earlier, but I wanted to make sure it was something they would commit to. They're still vegan, so it seems so.

My grandparents, on the other hand, keep calling us "brainwashed" and say we need to be "deprogrammed". They say to "deprogram" us we need to "get rid of our internet", because they say it made us go vegan (it didn't).

They told this to us (paraphrased): "You know, the animal product industries want people to go vegan, just not the majority, because since vegans are all crazy, everyone else will associate abandoning animal products with craziness. So, if you don't want to support the animal product industries, go non-vegan."

wow I never realized that not giving the animal product industries money was actually supporting them
Purp, David3, meagan36 and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2017, 08:09 PM

My grandparents are anti-vegan too. They bring up a vegan couple who happened to be unhealthy and talk about inadequate nutrition. And my grandma's sister's doctor told her to start eating dairy so it must be the right thing. My mom is starting to ask more questions though so that's exciting!

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
#3 Old 06-11-2017, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riuma View Post
My dad went vegan in December 2016, and my mom went vegan a month later in January 2017. I would've announced this earlier, but I wanted to make sure it was something they would commit to. They're still vegan, so it seems so.

My grandparents, on the other hand, keep calling us "brainwashed" and say we need to be "deprogrammed". They say to "deprogram" us we need to "get rid of our internet", because they say it made us go vegan (it didn't).

They told this to us (paraphrased): "You know, the animal product industries want people to go vegan, just not the majority, because since vegans are all crazy, everyone else will associate abandoning animal products with craziness. So, if you don't want to support the animal product industries, go non-vegan."

wow I never realized that not giving the animal product industries money was actually supporting them
Quote:
Originally Posted by meagan36 View Post
My grandparents are anti-vegan too. They bring up a vegan couple who happened to be unhealthy and talk about inadequate nutrition. And my grandma's sister's doctor told her to start eating dairy so it must be the right thing. My mom is starting to ask more questions though so that's exciting!

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
Congratulations on being vegan, and, in @Riuma 's case, parents, going vegan. You could deprogram your grandparents by showing them Forks Over Knives, Cowspiracy, or Earthlings.
Poppy and Riuma like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-14-2017, 05:13 AM

lol yeah OP can dine-out (no pun intended) on that anecdote for years.

It's so quaint and rustic-sounding.

I suppose when we vegans become majority (don't hold ya breath!), itd be like some mental regressive throwback saying he/she wants to be a carnivore. Then his vegan grandparents explain that the vegan establishment want SOME people to eat meat, as THOSE meat eaters are visibly crazy. So, if you don't want to support veganism, stay vegan! But if you believe in veganism, eat meat (and act crazy while doing it).

The more I turn it over in my mind the more I think grandparents might be onto something

It's like those 9/11 conspiracy theories - a false flag attack. Attack your own side to make your enemy look bad:P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page