VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my husband and I have a zoo membership. I have always gone back and forth wheather zoos are a good thing or not. My husband believes zoos do alot of good in the fact that they focus on environment and what a great loss we would have if we allow people to viloate the environment as much as they continue to do. My issue is that I wonder how good it is for these animals who have been pulled out of thier natural environment and forcing them to live in these limited cages, and unnatural envoirments.

I should let Mr. Smedley come on the board.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I don't know on this one. Sometimes I think it just depends on the zoo, but how can we ever be sure? Steve Irwin makes the Australia Zoo look great, but I've read some pretty bad things about other ones.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I think it does depend on th zoo. There are zoos out there with conservation programs to breed endangered species and release them into the wild, that's certainly not wrong. But I have a huge problem with the ones who cram animals into tiny cages just so people can stare at them... they give me the heebie jeebies...

·
Registered
878 Posts
i think zoos are bad unless they are like that san diego zoo ive been to that one and they are really great there cept for the preforming animals

·
Registered
603 Posts
I disagree with zoos and circuses. They are all evil. They push animals into an unnatural environment and demand that they perform to entertain and amuse humans.

On the other hand, I agree with rehabilitation centres and rescue programs. I know there is a large sort of Safari owned by an Englishman who rescues injured animals, or those taken by poachers and puts them in his HUGE natural environment park. I also gave money to WSPA after the fires in Indonesia who went and built a rehab centre for orangutangs injured in the fire and an orphanage. Once they well or old enough to look after themselves, they were released back into the wild.

I also support breeding programs within a national park environment, as long as they are released back into the wild.

I hate and disagree with zoos and circuses.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Like shewolf and Erin, I think it depends on the zoo. Some zoos seem to do an awesome job of replicating the natural environment with limited funds, and some of them are just nasty. I think for some people, especially those who can't afford to go overseas, it's a marvellous, enjoyable education.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Euphoria

I disagree with zoos and circuses. They are all evil. They push animals into an unnatural environment and demand that they perform to entertain and amuse humans.
Taronga Zoo (Sydney) is like that, with performing animals and Elephant rides. Its "sister" Zoo (Western Plains Zoo out at Dubbo) seems better..... a LOT more open spaces for the animals and nowhere near as much caging (and as far as I recall no performances. I know Taronga Zoo does some good things, though, like cleaning Birdlife that has been caught in an oil spill.

As for (animal) Circuses, I loathe them (they're the thing I have protested the most at). Seeing the animals there breaks my heart (I stood outside a monkey cage for a long time once as one of the monkeys and I stared at each other.... it was kind of "connecting").

And the Circus people are scum (they always offer to allow us into the Circus to fight them, whisper death threats and lie).

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
I'd never compare zoos and circuses!

all circuses w/ animals are bad by nature.

not all zoos are bad. some zoos are great. displaying animals is not their only purpose. zoos can be educational, they can promote conservation & compassion, especially in children. it makes them feel close to the animals, connect with them.

some animals are directly involved in conservation. the toronto zoo, for example, had this project where they increased the black ferret population from only 7 left to a large enough population that could be released back in the wild.

the toronto zoo also has these little education programs about hunting/cutting trees etc. they're also involved in habitat restoration and outreach programs. i don't think they're bad at all.

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
they explain how hunting contributes to animals' extinction, and they have a list of animals that are endangered and threatened w/ hunting. i think it's in the gorilla rainforest section. i don't know what the actual outreach program is like because it's for kids and i can't get in

·
Registered
828 Posts
The Winnipeg zoo is less than stellar. Some of the animals, like monkeys, don't have a lot of room, and in winter they all have to live inside. They could do a better job educating people too, instead of one little sign that you have to squint to read.

I went to the Asuncion zoo in Paraguay, and OMG, those poor animals. It was run down and there were no workers there! There was a poor hippopotomus sitting in about a foot of water in a little cement pool. And that's all it had.

The monkeys threw stuff at people and screamed and howled in anger all the time.

·
Registered
0 Posts
As others have said, I think it depends upon the zoo. Here in St. Louis, we have a great zoo that is free to the public. I still feel sad when I do go to the zoo, because (a) it reminds me that we humans have driven so many species to the brink of extinction, so that their only remaining hope for some sort of survival is the breeding programs operated by zoos and similar organizations; and (b) the habitats, no matter how wonderful, still are no replacement for freedom. I oppose any animal being taken from the wild and placed in a zoo, unless (a) the species is so endangered that the safety of a zoo and zoo breeding programs are the only hope for survival of the species, or (b) the individual animal's chance of survival in the wild is slim.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurmudgeon

And the Circus people are scum (they always offer to allow us into the Circus to fight them, whisper death threats and lie).
Hmm... A family friend ran away and joined the circus & I wouldn't consider her scum. And my grandfather was a clown (though, granted, not in a circus).

But I actually am not a fan of circuses for more than just the mistreatment of animals. They're not always that kind to the humans in the circus. Another acquaintance of mine ran away from the circus at 10 years old because he didn't want to be a trapeze artist (he had been born into it). He hated the rehearsals, the shows, etc... and the only way he could get out was to leave his entire family behind. He was (luckily) taken in and eventually adopted by a family in a town near where the circus was performing when he ran away. It's a pretty interesting story, actually, and the details of life in the circus were quite appalling, though it's been years since I've seen him and I cannot do his story justice. Circus culture is intriguing, though admittedly unsavory.

Mskedi

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
good golly miss molly!! i am loving all of this input. i would never go to a circus. i wonder if anyone has any experience with the brookfield zoo in brookfield, il, or the lincoln park zoo in lincoln park, il? the lincoln park zoo is free--and i have only been there once. the brookfield zoo, i have a membership to, i feel does well in regards to preserving, and educating. i would love to hear opinions on that. thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
I was last at the Brookfield zoo about thirty years ago, but my recollection is that it was a pretty decent zoo for those days, and I would assume it has improved since then.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts