VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of Zoos? I used to have it in my head that they were safe places where endangered animals were protected and allowed to reproduce. I've only recently found out that only a tiny percentage of the captive animals are endangered and they tend to lose certain skills while inside their cages like a cheater loses the ability to run so fast and predator cats are fed so they lose their ability to hunt. I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Some people argue that they become anxious with boredom hence the pacing that is typical of the large predator cats. My little sister has been asking me to take her to the zoo during the school holidays but now I don't think I want to
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I really think it depends on the individual zoo. I have been to some zoos that I had to leave because they were so depressing, but I have also been to some places where the animals have very large areas to roam in and given "toys" of sorts so they don't get bored. I know this is a veggie board, but I very much enjoyed watching a tiger having a wonderful time playing in the "pool" with a "meat popsicle" on a hot day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
There's a scene in a music video from my favorite melodic hardcore band, Rise Against, where a young person sneaks into a zoo at night and places a large sticker that says "I've lived my whole life in a cage" on the tiger's enclosure.

That reflects my feelings well enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
I'm sure some zoos are worse than others but I just hate seeing animals in cages. Makes me sad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
Animals don't belong in cages. It's as simple as that. Zoos try to say that they are working to protect certain species, which is true, but ultimately they exist to make money off of people who want to see "exotic" animals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Zoos try to say that they are working to protect certain species, which is true, but ultimately they exist to make money off of people who want to see "exotic" animals.
I agree. There are preserves and other places that don't commodify animals. The animals may sometimes be well taken care of, but ultimately they're only as valuable as visitors are willing to pay to see them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
My husband (vegan) asked me this when we were discussing this very subject:

"If zoos are bad because they exploit the animals and keep them in cages, aren't hamsters the same? Should people not keep pets? We have dogs. They are supposed to be in the wild? Are we not vegan then?"

I actually didn't have an answer for this one.

He stumped me the other day about something else, but it is irrelevant to this thread.

Any ideas about this? I love my dogs and treat them like family. They go in a crate when we leave the house because they get nervous wandering the entire house and destroy everything. They love cuddling in the crate with blankets and each other and napping when we are gone. I don't know how this could be wrong, maybe it is.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Wild animals belong the wild, end of story. I support parts and reserves to protect them, but not locking them up and putting them on display.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

My husband (vegan) asked me this when we were discussing this very subject:

"If zoos are bad because they exploit the animals and keep them in cages, aren't hamsters the same? Should people not keep pets? We have dogs. They are supposed to be in the wild? Are we not vegan then?"

I actually didn't have an answer for this one.

He stumped me the other day about something else, but it is irrelevant to this thread.

Any ideas about this? I love my dogs and treat them like family. They go in a crate when we leave the house because they get nervous wandering the entire house and destroy everything. They love cuddling in the crate with blankets and each other and napping when we are gone. I don't know how this could be wrong, maybe it is.
Dogs, cats, hamsters, etc are domesticated and have been bred to be in the company of humans. Dogs actually like their crates because it is their "den". Animals in zoos are not domesticated and are not used to being in cages, which is why they pace, get bored, and display other signs of distress.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Dogs, cats, hamsters, etc are domesticated and have been bred to be in the company of humans. Dogs actually like their crates because it is their "den". Animals in zoos are not domesticated and are not used to being in cages, which is why they pace, get bored, and display other signs of distress.


Also, the animals we have domesticated would literally die with out our assistance, I know my dog has tried to kill himself multiple times. We've simply altered them too far to live on their own, they don't even resemble a wild animal anymore.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top