VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here try it? I'm very interested and have been doing some reading but I haven't had the guts to try it yet. Gonna give it a shot this morning. But I have read it can do good things for your mental health, and I wonder if as a former-depression-sufferer it could help settle me down a little.

Anybody have some advice, somebody further along the path?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Go for it! It does work for calming down, but don't expect anything, since any expections are counterproductive to it. Also, there are many schools of meditation, so over time, read about several, and pick what you like.

There's a another new thread in The Veggie Patch right now that will give you more info. Also, one source of meditation articles that I forgot to mention in my post to that thread is yogajournal.com.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Yes, I do zazen. It's nothing to be nervous about. Zazen is "nothing", hehe. Just sit and try to think of nothing. Well you WILL think of things, but just go with the thoughts and let go of them. After a while you will see things just as they are without judging them. Sounds odd but works LOL.

The books of Shrunyu Suzuki contain good tips for zazen!!

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
There's a book called "Quiet Therapies: Japanese Pathways to Personal Growth" by David Reynolds. It's out of print, but I know there are a number of used copies available at amazon.com through the used dealers (that's where i got my copy) and other online used book dealers. The book discusses the psychotherapeutic benefits of a few different meditation styles (including zazen, btw). It's a really good book and not hard to read.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, cool. I'm reading "Zen Mind, Beginners Mind" right now. I think this zen thing is a little intimidating because it IS so simple. I keep looking for more information but everybody just says the same thing. Do zazen. Practice is the whole of it.

Scary.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Zen always sounded interesting to me, and I did a lot of reading, but in the end I found it impratical. It just did not fit with my mind. I am now a Vajrayana practitioner. www.diamondway-buddhism.org

different strokes for different folks. which is what I love about buddhism. we don't claim that any one way is right for all. good luck to you!

XOXO

beth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts