VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like their deli slices. I had fake turkey and fake salami this week. They also have fake ham and fake baloney. It's $2.49 for 5.5 oz. I wish they'd lower the price some. It never lasts me long when I buy it. There is about 15 g or more of protein to a serving, too. It's low fat and cholesterol free, plus it has less sodium than other products like it. Pretty good stuff, I think. Anyone else tried it?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Yves is about the only kind we buy. I guess because the company is based in our city, it's the cheapest of all the readily available fake meats. my kids love the pizza pepperoni slices on vegan pesto pizza. yum!

i try not to incorporate too much of the stuff in our diets though. it's very heavily processed and is compose primarily of that "soy protein isolate" we were discussing in the soy beverage thread.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i generally don't eat much of this stuff either, but i love their sausage patties and veggie burgers. the deli slices are good, the salami one is my favourite. the bologna one really tastes like bologna but i find the texture kinda wierd, and the turkey one tastes rather too similar to the bologna for some reason lol but it's still ok.

you're right, the prices are too high considering how little you get in a package. some of the newer Yves products are better priced than the deli slices, it makes me think that maybe they've never ever lowered the price on the older products, but that could just be the stores i shop at.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I really like Yves veggie slices, I'm glad i "discovered" them, because turkey sandwiches were one of the things i missed most

when i went veggie. I tried another brand, Smart Deli, i think. It tasted funny, like cardboard, or something.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Should I try them? Right now the only fake meat I eat on a regular basis is TVP flakes, and I add them to sauces and stir fries to give more texture. I wasn't too crazy about meat even when I was omni, and I just really don't like the taste of it now. I got tired of Gardenburgers awhile ago, and I was only eatting them like once in a month or two.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
if you didn't like bologna or turkey or salami when you were omni, you probably still won't like them now. try them if you want, but don't be upset if you hate it and waste $3. mostly what i do with them is stack the sandwich so high with lettuce and tomato and other stuff that i barely even taste the "meat", i just put it in there for nutritional value

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I might like the turkey slices one if it's not as time-consuming to chew as real turkey. Do any of you recall the chew-factor of turkey enough to compare?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't like them at all...none of them. And I actually liked some lunch meat when I actually ate it. I find myself beginning not to like any of the 'meat fakes' as of late. They just don't taste all that good to me anymore..it may be that my tastebuds are finally coming back to life after quiting smoking.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i'm the opposite, i didn't really like any fakies at first but now i'm finding more and more stuff i do like.

chew-factor? it's processed lunch"meat". nough said.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Perhaps I'm just remembering the day-after-Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches. Sorry! I've been out of the meat loop a bit too long to really remember consistencies and textures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts