Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

4 large sweet onions (or just regular onions), sliced

2 tablespoon butter (vegan or regular)

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 - 1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon dried mustard

2-3 tablespoon shoyu (soy sauce, tamari, Braggs, etc.)

1/4 cup vegan red wine ( I used Cabernet)

6 cup vegetable stock (use a good one!)

Pepper to taste

Instructions:

Heat butter in large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook for 1 full hour, stirring frequently.

Add thyme, mustard, shoyu, vegan wine, pepper, and a little more salt (if desired). Let vegan wine cook down for a few minutes.

Add vegetable broth, bring just to a boil, andits done!

Serve with warm vegan french bread.

Additional comments:

This recipe came from Choochles on VegWeb.

Serves about 6.

For a recipe image, click here: http://shippersx.com/blog/wp-content.../onionsoup.jpg

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Oh, that looks really good. Must try. Will be skipping the wine though. Is the dried mustard in the form of a powder?

ETA: I made this today and it's yummy! Everyone had seconds. =D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Did you skip the wine? We don't really drink wine, so I wouldn't want to have to specifically buy a bottle to make this recipe, although it sounds yummy and I really want to try it!

Cyr.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrillia View Post

Did you skip the wine? We don't really drink wine, so I wouldn't want to have to specifically buy a bottle to make this recipe, although it sounds yummy and I really want to try it!

Cyr.
I skipped the wine and it tasted great.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if skipping the wine changes the flavor. I bought a tiny bottle for less than $2 and it was enough to make a few batches. My bf had Barbera open and we used that, it was even better than the Cabernet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you thank you thank you for posting this. I love French Onion Soup and it was really keeping me away from going vegetarian. I just came here to try to find a recipe or post to see if anyone had one.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're welcome
Make sure you cook the onions for an entire hour (very very important). I used beef-style veggie broth last time I made it (a week ago) and it turned out great! And trust me, most dishes that you love as an omni are available in vegetarian options. They might not be the exact same, but some are pretty darn close!

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
That was Mandy that posted under my name earlier in this thread. I'll take care of her later.

Just wanted to add that I also really liked the soup. I can't say that french onion soup was one of my favorites but it tasted really good for what it was. And I'd second that it's important to really let the onions cook down.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh you kinky man!
Save the whipping info for the BannedForum!

If the onions aren't cooked long enough, the soup will be a disappointment because the texture will be off. I had actually never tried french onion soup before finding this recipe as a veg, it just looked really good.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I'm so glad I came across this recipe. I LOVE French onion soup! Can't wait to try this. I'll bet it makes the kitchen smell wonderful. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Well, I didn't like it.

I LOVED IT!! I added veggie beef flavored bullion cubes to the veggie broth, and I have to say it tasted better than the onion soup I've had before I became vegan.

There's just something about a pot of homemade soup simmering on the stove..

Really good soup recipe. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
YAY! (you had me there for a moment)

I use beef-style broth too sometimes, but my version isn't vegan. When I run out, I'll get the vegan version.

This stuff is even better the next day

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I made this recipe again
I can't get enough of it! I found the sweet onions on sale for 69 cents a pound, such a great deal (normally $1.99 a pound). This time, I used Merlot and it worked great!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Would it still taste fine if I left out the dry mustard? I don't think the stores around here carry it because I've never heard of it before.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmariposoxx View Post

Mmmm I can't wait to try this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess78 View Post

Would it still taste fine if I left out the dry mustard? I don't think the stores around here carry it because I've never heard of it before.
I don't see why not. I had never seen it before either until I went looking for it for this recipe. You might be able to find it at your local grocery store. It's a spice, not like a mustard you put on a sandwich.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Thanks to everyone who's bumped this cause I made this tonight and it's amazing!!! I haven't had french onion soup in years and years and this was yummy! My meat-eating but veg-adventurous friend loved it and had two huge bowls. I made it pretty close to the recipe. I cooked the onions for well over an hour and reduced some cab sauv in a seperate pot but that's all I changed.

Heather- you always have recipes I like.
I made it with the French bread that Lobsteriffic posted that you and I have both made. Mmmmm

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.