VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
YouTube, the popular video-sharing website, has banned MFA's latest undercover investigation videodepicting egregious cruelty to calves raised for the dairy industry at a E6 Cattle Company in Texas.
In an email notification, YouTube stated: "It's not okay to post gross-out videos of accidents, dead bodies or similar things intended to be shocking, sensational, or disrespectful. If a video is particularly graphic or disturbing, it should be balanced with additional educational or documentary context and information."
http://www.mfablog.org/2011/04/youtu...lty-video.html

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
One more reason not to give those ****ers my phone number to make my account usable again.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
It's not okay to post gross-out videos of accidents, dead bodies or similar things intended to be shocking, sensational, or disrespectful.
And yet they allow that video of the girl complaining (and being super-racist) about "Asians" being too loud in the UCLA library...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
That calf footage is brutal.

I try to watch and pass on all the animal rights videos as I come across them. This one, I had to turn off before I even got 2 minutes in.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

That calf footage is brutal.

I try to watch and pass on all the animal rights videos as I come across them. This one, I had to turn off before I even got 2 minutes in.
It was gruesome. I still have those images in my mind. If anyone can continue eating meat and dairy after watching that.... I dunno....
As horrific as it was, I believe it should stay. I still come across many who have no idea what really goes on and are so completely shocked when they see things like this. A friend of my daughter's accidentally came across a similar video and was stunned. She's having second thoughts about her eating habits and has been asking all kinds of questions.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Shocking or not, if it was shown with the purpose of educating, it should have stayed. They could have easily just put a "warning: graphic" before hand.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I am just glad that YouTube and other services do allow graphic factory farming and slaughterhouse footage to the extent that they do, as this is causing thousands of new people to go veg*n on a regular basis.

I think that MFA is doing the AR movement a disservice by deliberately trying to push the envelope with these services, seeing just how gruesome they can make their video before it finally gets banned, and then publically complaining to the service provider about it when it finally happens. The only thing they can accomplish with this is to create a backlash from these providers, where they will even further restrict what is allowed on their site, thereby hurting everyone's ability to get the word out through these mechanisms.

-Eugene

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
How could you blame Mercy For Animals for what amounts to hypocrisy from Google/Youtube? I think Nathan Runkle's letter to Google was eloquent and perfect:

Quote:
MFA strongly agrees that videos of cruelty to animals are shocking and disturbing, but in the context of helping to expose and eliminate animal abuse they are extremely important. Consumers have a right to know how their food is being produced, especially when the production methods are shocking or disturbing, so that they can make informed choices. MFA's "No Mercy" video opens a critical dialogue about animal use and abuse in our society, as well as pressing social and consumer issues. Without open dialogue in a free society, broken systems remain unchallenged and unchanged.
It seems an obvious contradiction that YouTube censors MFA's efforts to expose and eliminate cruelty to animals, while continuing to allow highly sanitized meat, dairy and egg industry propaganda videos that promote killing animals for profit, and countless sensationalized prohunting videos that glamorize gleeful hunters mercilessly maiming and killing animals for "sport." YouTube was awarded a 2008 Peabody Award and cited as "a 'Speakers' Corner' that both embodies and promotes democracy." Silencing one side of the debate over how farmed animals should be treated flies in the face of democracy. YouTube seems to be sending a message that hurting animals for fun or profit is acceptable but speaking out against such abuses is not.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
This kind of reminds me of an incident many years ago here in Houston, when a Whole Foods allowed a local AR group to have a table outside their store, and to distribute literature and stickers. Over the course of the day, some of the activists volunteering at the table then took it upon themselves to go into the store, and place the anti-meat stickers on all the meat items in the store. Then, later that night, someone came back, trashed the entire Whole Foods store, and spray painted ALF all over it.

Although it is obviously not as extreme in this case, this is essentially the spirit of what MFA is doing with YouTube, after YouTube has been of incalculable help in promoting veganism by allowing graphic factory farming videos on their site.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. S. Bey View Post

Nathan is on the front line; he deserves support...
Nathan does a tremendous amount of good work for animals every week of every month of every year. Even if he's censored on Youtube, MFA is out there doing other great things for animals like the Farm To Fridge tour.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.