VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so this is my very first vegan Thanksgiving & Christmas and I REALLY don't want to do some weird meat substitute thing. However I would love to have some ideas for a new vegan menu.

This time last year was when I actually reverted back to a meat eater, after being vegetarian for almost 6 months (I never truly understood the connection between food & traditions until then!!), but this year I have a new resolve and am not going back to my pre-veg. days.

But I would love to have a completely brand new menu to end my year!

So if you have a fav. way of fixing your favorite veggie or a favorite gravy recipe, I would REALLY love to hear about it! So, what is your favorite/special item you make JUST for the holidays or what does your usual holiday menu look like???

Thanks a bunch!

Michelle

·
Registered
0 Posts
well, I do a vegan thanksgiving. it's buffet style because it's mostly friends that come over- not as formal as a tradish sit down dinner.

i do two stuffed squashes, cranberry sauce, wild rice and mushrooms, grilled asparagus, broccoli, roasted garden carrots, and rosemary roasted potatoes, and black bean and corn salad.

i might attempt a nut roast this year.

usually my friends will bring a fruit plate or dips and pita.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

well, I do a vegan thanksgiving. it's buffet style because it's mostly friends that come over- not as formal as a tradish sit down dinner.

i do two stuffed squashes, cranberry sauce, wild rice and mushrooms, grilled asparagus, broccoli, roasted garden carrots, and rosemary roasted potatoes, and black bean and corn salad.

i might attempt a nut roast this year.

usually my friends will bring a fruit plate or dips and pita.
Wow! I wanna come to you house for the holidays!!!
Your menu sounds awesome!!

Okay, so the first thing that caught my eye was the stuffed squashes, would you care to share the recipe for those? I LOVE anything with squash!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Michelle

·
Registered
294 Posts
I did stuffed squash for last years thanksgiving! It was beautiful ^^ I used a recipe out of the Moosewood cookbook. I did find the stuffing a little dry, I'd prolly add a little veggie stock to moisen it up. This year I'm doing a 'weird meat substitute thing' made of wheat gluten. I'm doing it from scratch... in fact the seitan is boiling right now! I'll let you know how that turns out if you're interested.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I made a nut roast last year. It was pretty good. I hope I can find the recipe. I want to try making a tofu turkey this year. The one where you press the tofu in a colander and stuff it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, what about your fav. veggie dish? Or even salads that you like to make this time of year?

Obviously I'm going to do the traditional green beans, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes & mushroom gravy, but I would love some new ideas to try out some new veggies in different ways! I'm thinking about something with some butternut squash or pumpkin? I would also like to maybe roast some veggies too??

As for the seitan thing, I've heard good things about it, I personally haven't eaten it yet, but would like to try it sometime I just don't know if it's something I'd want to try out for Thanksgiving or Christmas, kwim? But defiantely come back and let us know how it turns out, I would like to know how long it takes for you to fix it & if it's something that I could make later.

Thanks for taking the time to post, I'm always interested in what other vegans serve for meals, especially this time of year!

Michelle

·
Registered
73 Posts
so far I am having mixed greens--turnip greens and collard greens. My vegetable garden of greens is doing great this year. I am going to get more ideas from everyone here.

I have to work on Thanksgiving and the hospital is going to serve the traditional meal.......so I will have to bring in something good.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I'm hosting Thanksgiving for my parents and siblings and my bf's parents and brother. I know my family doesn't expect meat, and I know his family knows I don't cook meat, but I'm not entirely sure they've realized it's going to be vegetarian unless someone else decides to bring a turkey. (Which really, is ok with me, as long as I don't have to deal with it at all)

My menu, so far, is:

Seitan Roulade stuffed with a Walnut Pear stuffing

Vegetarian stuffing

Cornbread

Pumpkin Soup

Butternut squash risotto

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Other green veggies to be determined later (possibly green beans and almonds, or some steamed broccoli... perhaps also, not green, but cinnamon apple glazed baby carrots)

Sweet potato and apple bake

Citrus flavoured cranberry sauce with apple bits (mellows out the cranberry tartness)

Gravy

Then for dessert..

definitely an apple pie and pecan pie... possibly a sweet potato pie as well

OH and for appetizers..

I'm going to bake a nice Boule (round loaf of bread)

Have cheese and crackers (for those who eat cheese)

Fresh fruit

Crudite

I may make a 3 layered vegetable pate I saw in a cookbook.. it looks awesome.. it's mushroom, spinach and tomato I believe.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I'm going to stuff a pumpkin with cornbread stuffing and I'm also going to make mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, roasted butternut squash, homemade rolls, and something green (don't know what yet, it depends on what I get from my CSA farm that week.)

For desert I plan on making an apple pie and some fudge.

My husband is insisting on having a turkey on the table so I'm going to buy a pre-cooked one that I can just heat up.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow! RabidChild you ARE going all out!!! I would love your recipe for sweet potatoe & apple bake, that sounds REALLY yummy!!!

SouthernVegan, I do have a recipe around here somewhere for a vegan mushroom gravy, although I haven't made it myself yet, when I find it, I'll come back here and post it for you!

Cringe that Braided Sweet Potatoe bread sounds awesome!!! I am not however a very good bread maker, but this would be worth a try for me! Thanks for the tip about the extra flour!

I'm thinking this year, I'll let my hubby work out whatever he wants to do about his meat dish. Whatever he buys, he makes. I'm really not trying to sound b*tchy, but it'll work out better for us all! He can have what he wants however he wants it, and I don't have to worry about handling the meat!

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Michelle

·
Registered
0 Posts
as far as stuffed squash, just use any stuffing recipe that appeals to you- there's a lot on Vegweb. put it in the squash and bake. waalah.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Last year I made squash stuffed with a wild rice/brown rice/red bean/black bean "stuffing." It was pretty good, but not very many of my family members ate any. I also made mushroom-dill gravy, which had a much better reception.

This year I'm spending Thanksgiving with future in-laws, and since I feel the need to impress, my contribution to the meal is going to be a pink rice pilaf. Also, it's going to be the only thing there for me to eat, since they all love turkey and ham and butter and marshmallows and jello.

·
Registered
281 Posts
These recipies all sound quite delicious. It is always better to celebrate holidays without taking the life of other sentient creatures. The stuffed squash sounds particularly enticing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Every time I visit this site I want to eat everything you guys are talking about. Only I wish it would just magically materialize so I don't actually have to cook it.

I found a recipe for homemade cranberry sauce a few years ago, and it's really tasty and easy to make (and not scary like the stuff in the can!) so I thought I'd share. Plus it's kinda fun because the cranberries pop and then you get to squish them.
[edit: Unfortunately because I'm new, VB won't let me post the URL. If you want the recipe, PM me and I'll send it to you.]

And I guess this is more of an activity suggestion than a recipe, but my friends and I have a big Thanksgiving dinner every year, and create a "mashed potato bar" with every kind of mashed potato we can dream up (regular, dirty, butter, cheese, broccoli, bacon, garlic, Guinness, etc.). It's really fun and silly, and doesn't involve a lot of advanced cooking skills (i.e., good for a party). This is my umpteenth Thanksgiving as a vegetarian, but my first as a vegan too, so there will be some additions this year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I always google in good vegan pumpkin pie recipes and I always find them. At whole foods they carry a new vegan whip to top the pies with. Im gonna go check it out

1 - 20 of 79 Posts