VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a vegetarian, I would also like to start eating more 'raw' (unprocessed, etc). My main dilemma is going to be what my dad buys at the grocery store. But maybe if I give him a list, he might actually pick up somethings.. fingers crossed. But then I come to another dilemma.. I don't know what to get! So if you guys could share some basic things to buy that I can pretty much make into anything, that'd be great!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
greens- kale, collards, spinach, bok choy, nappa cabbage, romaine, arugala, spring mix, parsley.
Fruits- everything under the sun!
veggies- peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, (both can be shredded or spiraled as noodles), carrots,
raw nuts and seeds, unsalted.
almonds, to soak and make your own almond milk with, then you can find some almond meal recipes online to use your leftover meal in, w/o wasting it.

If you have a dehydrator, you can make your own crisps and crackers, and dehydrate veggies

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Can you go with your father when he goes shopping? I don't have a problem with processed foods and I'm not a raw vegan so my list might not be that much of a help. But my basic list usually consists of things like:
beans
whole wheat tortillas
whole wheat pita bread
hummus
almond/soy milk
lots of fresh fruits and veggies along with some cheap frozen veggies
brown rice
tofu
canned tomatoes (for soups, stews, curries)
spices
sweet potatoes
cereal

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Before I go shopping, I look at recipes, decide what to make and then make my grocery list based on what I need for those specific recipes. I don't buy a bunch of food, then try to figure out what I can make with it. Your household will dictate what you need to buy, as well. If you live in a house full of fresh fruits and veggies, you won't need to make many special requests, but if you don't, you will. If you want to go more raw and unprocessed, think about the processed foods you eat now and choose healthy replacements.

This week I'm making:

"fish" tacos
spaghetti and salad
spicy lentils and rice
frankfurters and potato salad
veggie pizza
hummus
chocolate cake

So I needed to buy:

tofu
cabbage
avocados
lettuce
tomatoes
celery
green onions
mushrooms
red peppers
fresh lemon juice
baking powder
organic cocoa

I also bought a bag of apples and a bunch of bananas and oranges to snack on, soymilk (plain and chocolate) blue chips, Vegenaise and a few soy yogurts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts