VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first thing you can remember with any clarity?

I was about 3 or 4 and sitting in our front room on my potty. I'd swallowed an ornate brass button, and we were waiting for nature to takes its course.

The second was a year or two later. Our toilet was separate from the bathroom, in what felt like a long thin corridor of a room. I discovered that by leaning my back/shoulders against one wall that I could reach the wall on the other side with my feet. From here I could start moving my way up the wall, and get up to the ceiling, where I could move sideways down the room. I did try it face down (hands on one wall, feet on the other), and this added a dangerous thrill as I got a real sense of how high (and vunerable) I was. I'm glad I never left footprints on the walls, so my parents never knew.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That is one awesome story! I can't really imagine anyone standing sideways below the ceiling

My earliest memory is when I was about 2 years old and we were at a store of a friend that was closing or opening (don't remember). My sister and I were sitting in front of the counter on a bench and a song was playing that I still remember. My mother said that that's exactly how it happened (I could even remember the decoration of the room) and that the song was playing. But she thinks I can't remember because I was so young, eh, whatever

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm not sure which memory was my first really, but i do have a couple vague memories of when we still lived in chicago (we moved to florida when i was 3) .. One memory was of when i was at a laundromat with my mom, and i was playing with this other kid there, but my mom took me away and didn't want me to play with him for some reason that i don't remember.. but i think it was because she didn't want me playing on the floor in there.

My other memory was from the parking garage next to the apartment complex building we lived in (pretty big building in fact - you can see it in most pictures of Chicago taken from the side of Lake Michigan).. I think we had just gotten back from grocery shopping, i can remember the smell in the garage, and walking up some stairs.. i can't remember anything else about that though.

well, so my first memories are pretty boring i suppose..

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
my first memory was when i was 2 years old. my parents used to give me this banana papaya smoothie every single day and i'd drink it from my bottle. my first memory was when i had the smoothie from a mug instead of the baby bottle. i remember the mug felt very strange and cold against my mouth, and i spilled some smoothie on myself. heh. then my parents told me i'm a big girl now

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I think I was around 3 years old. My father was preparing a bowl of cereal for me, and I was crying, because I didn't want milk on it, and I thought he was going to make me have it, anyway - turns out he didn't! I also know what I was wearing - a pair of shorts that were tan with little pink bees all over them.
Also, I was absolutely terrified of the theme song from the Twilight Zone and Rod Serling's voice. Around the same age, I remember the show coming on, me crying and screaming hysterically, and making my mother run into the bathroom with me and closing the door. I didn't want to come out for quite some time. Want to know what's really weird? I continued to be spooked by that song until I was in my early 20's. Even now, if I hear it, I feel a little twinge in my stomach! Wild, huh?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
My first memory is from before I was three years old, or I had just turned three. I woke up in my crib (this is how I know how old I was - my little brother got the crib when he was born). I thought I heard a voice in my room, and it said,

"Hello, my name's Mickey Mouse. What's yours?"

I was freaked out that Mickey Mouse was in my room. At the time I thought he was real -- the guy dressed up in a MM costume, not the cartoon one -- and I didn't want to go back to sleep with him in my room. I climbed over the rails of my crib and went into my mom and dad's room, and woke Mom up. That's all I remember.

The other really early memories I have are of my little brother Scott being born. My third birthday was two months earlier. On the night Scott was born, it snowed and my Dad got the car stuck at the end of the driveway when we were coming home from the hospital. Then I remember a few days later, Mom and Scott coming home from the hospital. My grandparents stayed with us while Dad went to pick them up.

Years later I told my mom that I remembered these things, and she said I couldn't possibly have. But when I provided the details of the snow on Scott's birthnight, and Grandma and Grandpa babysitting the day he was brought home, she had to admit I really remembered it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I remember when I'd just turned two my sister was born and I got to see her in the hospital a few weeks after. I remember how tiny she was (even for a newborn) and all the things that were hooked up to her. It was...really scary, especially since I was two and didn't understand what was wrong with her. I also remember that the little hospital gown I had to put on in order to be around her had Disney characters on it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I can remember parts of the wallpaper that was in my room when I was 2. We moved a few months after I turned 2, so it couldn't have been any later.

My first really clear memory is from when I was 3, and I was sitting in my backyard, next to the post on the corner of our deck, and there was a purple flower growing. I was drinking lemonade out of a little plastic cup I used to have with animals on it. That little puple flower grew back in the same place every year until I was about 10.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Not sure which is first...all were when I was 3...

1.) Walking into our house with a squirt gun, pointing it my mom and saying "stick 'em up, fat yady".

2.) Going to see new puppies in a neighbor's barn. My sisters had been spelling the word "puppies" around me for a few days, until I figured out what it meant. Then I demanded to go see the " P-P-I-E-Ss".

3.) My grandfather taking me to the general store for a bag full of candy, and spilling a pixie stick in the hallway of his house. My cousin laughing at me because I spilled it, and then he immediately followed suit.

4.) Eating too much pumpkin pie at my aunt's house and throwing up. (This must have been the last of the 4, as it was near Thanksgiving.)

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
My first memories were when I was 2-years-old. My family went to Florida, and I remember sitting in a shamu stroller, I also remembing playing with the tray table on the seat in front of me on the airplane.

When I think about these events I tend to keep remembering small details about them. Every once and awhile I'll remember something that I've never even thought about.

For instance, I was talking to a friend who I went to kindergarten with. Between the two of us, we kept rattling off things that we did/had in kindergarten that I alone completely forgot about.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hrm my first memory is probably my favourite.. I was just under 2 and I remember going swimming at a whale pool.. It not much buts its the only memory I have of my opa because he took me there...

and also I remember going to my opas factory shortly after he died and it was really scarey cause there were tons of dogs (I was about 2 )

Hrm and when I just started kindy.. I had just turned 3.. they had a lamb.. Cant remember its name.. and I feed it with a bottle...

And also I remember all the times I got lost.. Which was a lot.. Id always just wandar off when i was little..

I can remember lots of things from 2 and 3 but just not in much detail...

Danny

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I remember going sledding at Mt. St. Helens before it blew it's top. I must have been 3 at the time. I was wearing a red snow suit and my mom and I were going down the hill on one of those old-fashioned runner sleds and I fell off and the sled ran over me. I also remember walking back up the hill and seeing our orange VW bus at the top of the hill.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I was in the cutting my hair at age 3 with my kiddie scissors. And I was wearing a pink turtleneck(so my clothes weren't that cool when I was three. Well it wasn't me who bought them!) I remember that I was on my little stepstool, looking in the mirror and cutting off random pieces of hair. The lights in the bathroom were off but the door was open. I don't remember my mom seeing my "new haircut," but i'm sure she was mad.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I remember when I was two or younger, I woke up one morning, and my blanket that I used to drag around with me had lost its wonderful, comforting smell. (My mother had sneaked it away while I was sleeping, and had washed it.) My sister told me that it really stank, but to me, it was the best smell in the world.

I must have been about the same age when I picked a really large piece of dried snot ot of my nose. It was so big, I thought it was part of my nose.
Iwas terrified, but I couldn't tell anyone about it, since I had been told not to pick my nose, so I put it back in and lived in fear for a while that my nose would collapse or fall off.

When I was three, I slipped on a flight of stairs my mother had just waxed. An old man tried to catch me, and ended up falling down the stairs too. I remember catching glimpses of him falling behind me as I tumbled head over heels down the stairs. I broke my left leg. My sister drew a donkey on the part of the cast that covered my knee. I remember lying on the couch, under the window, and cracking Easter eggs on my cast.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I thought that I was about 2 when I had this memory, but my Mom said that it was actually when I was closer to 1.

My father, Gregg Smith, was the Director of Music at Ithaca College, and also the conductor of the Gregg Smith Singers (who has won 3 grammies btw, and is considered the greatest living composer of "modern" music). He was doing something where they were rehearsing an Aaron Copland song, "I Bought Me A Cat". Iremember sitting underneath a table while they were rehearsing and sing with them. My Mom was amazed that I remembered that, but I do. I remember all of the words of the song to this day (It's a childrens' song, "I bought me a cat, my cat loves me. I feed my cat under yonder tree. My cat says "fiddle - eye - fee"). I have no other memories until I was around the age of 3, and I remember my Mom telling me that my Dad had left and that he wasn't coming back.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I can remember a few things from when I was 2 or three but they are all meaningless memories. I can't be sure about the important ones because my parents tellign me stories clouds my own memory of the event.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I remember a few....not sure in what sequence, but anyway.....

1.) I was probably about 2 and I was digging in the toy box downstairs...It had a hinged lid and my sister (who is handicapped) came down and closed the lid while half my body was still in there and sat on the toy box!
I remember the smell of the box and yelling...My mom had apparently taught me how to say help that day and I was screaming it! I wasn't hurt at all...just a little freaked!

2.) My sister had to take this red medication (depikene...now depakote in pill form) It was liquid red in a seringe....and I thought it would taste like cherries. So when my mom went to give it to her I stood right next to her with my mouth open and my mom shot it right into my mouth...not realizing it was me!! I was so happy until I tasted it and it was disgusting!!! She immediately called a doctor freaking out about it...again I was ok.

3.) I also remember playing w/ my other sister and cousin while they were wheeling me around in a wagon @ my grandma's. They were going to fast and I fell out skinning my knees. I cried for a while and still have a pic of my mom holding me as I'm glaring at my sister in cousin.

Wow.....Every memory has to do w/ me getting hurt. I really DID have a good childhood!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.