VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any Jewish recipes to share? From Kugel to Matzo ball soup to Rugelach -- what's your favourite vegetarian/vegan or made-to-be-veg dish?

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I made noodle kugel years ago! I used broken lasagna noodles, boiled, with silken tofu blended with some non dairy milk--coconut would be awesome!, and raisens. Put together in a greased casserole and bake till set

Isa Moscowitz has great Jewish recipes. I know there's one in Veganomicon that takes matzo I've wanted to try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
TastyandHealthy

Lentil soup can be made vegan. Add finely chopped potatoes, carrots, a piece of turnip or rutabaga that's been very finely minced which really adds to the flavor of all soups and stews, chopped garlic, onions, a dash of curry, pepper, and other spices. Will take time to cook in the crockpot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tzimmes is a very traditional Jewish dish. There are many variations. Even if you are a meat eater I don't recommend adding it. I also scoff at modern versions that require butter. It's not needed. Think of the following recipe as a healthier version of sweet potato casserole served at Thanksgiving.

Combine peeled chunks of sweet potatoes and carrots with dried fruit, orange and lemon juice, and sweetener. You might want to consider parboiling the carrots.
This is not dessert so you don't need very much honey. Date sugar will work as well. Then you must add dried fruit. If you cut it up in fine pieces and mix it throughout your casserole you won't need very much brown sugar or honey. It's common to use dried apricots and prunes. Others use dried apples and prunes. While it's not traditional as many spices weren't available way back when, I add cinnamon, nutmeg, and a dash of vanilla. I also break tradition and add a dab of curry powder. You don't need to add any fat.

Bake in the oven until very well done. Some prefer the dish to appear overcooked with the contents mushed together. Others use a crockpot which IMHO does not have anywhere as good a flavor. I prefer a large glass pan where you can spread out the ingredients.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts