VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've grown rather disenchanted with The Nature Conservancy (TNC), and am looking for a new charity to make the beneficiary of my estate. My beef with TNC is that they are too cozy with folks who know that they are part of the problem and are looking to assuage their own guilt by 'partnering' or 'collaborating' with Big Green. The result is that Big Green becomes Big Greenwash.

My short-list of alternatives includes:
+ The Natural Resources Defense Council
+ The Trust For Public Land
+ The Sierra Club Foundation (non-profit arm of the Sierra Club)

Are there any other alternatives I should be considering? Anyone have any opinions on my options above?

TIA!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I am a member of the Sierra Club. I also like Environment California (if you're in California). There's also Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, which I love.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Earth Liberation Front.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
You might look into this group - Vital Ground
http://www.vitalground.org/

I don't know much about them, but their mission is great.

Quote:
Operating as a land trust, the mission of The Vital Ground Foundation is to protect and restore North America's grizzly bear populations by conserving wildlife habitat. Vital Ground believes the grizzly bear, as an umbrella species, is one of nature's barometers of a healthy and complete ecosystem. Because the grizzly's home range covers several hundred square miles-from alpine meadows to valley bottoms-protecting grizzly habitat benefits entire plant and animal communities in the wildest, most scenic, places left on the continent.

Grizzly and other brown bear populations persist only in the continent's last wilderness ecosystems. Between, within, and at the edges of these ecosystems, roads and development are rapidly filling open lands and valley floors, frittering away once wild landscapes and creating "habitat fracture zones."

Habitat links between these wild grizzly sanctuaries-lands that provide food, shelter and security for seasonal foraging and movement-are the crux point of grizzly survival and recovery. Today these lands are clad in streamside willows and cottonwoods, pastures, grasslands, wet meadows, clear waters, and conifer forests-habitat for innumerable species. Tomorrow they could be peppered with homes, roads, and other developments.

This is where we target our resources and efforts. Acre by acre, we protect jigsaw puzzlepieces of habitat to maintain the lifelines between grizzly ecosystems. Lifelines that will help sustain bears and everything else that depends ongrizzly country.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

There's also Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, which I love.
That's a good hint - I have added them to my list of beneficiaries. One nice thing - the senior management isn't outrageously overpaid as in many other charities (even some highly rated ones). The horrifying clip in the documentary 'The Cove' of the mortally wounded dolphin escaping from the killing area is a memory that I just can't shake.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=5784
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1208882-cove/

·
Registered
8,743 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a bit of a sweet spot for Environment California, because I used to canvass with them... and I put in a good amount of my paychecks to make quota sometimes XP

Does anyone know of any Environmental organizations that focus around a plant-based lifestyle?
It seems you're left with either vegetarianism for animal rights/welfare, or an environmental group that either overlooks or shies away from the easy answer of vegetarianism.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdead-goaway View Post

I have a bit of a sweet spot for Environment California, because I used to canvass with them... and I put in a good amount of my paychecks to make quota sometimes XP

Does anyone know of any Environmental organizations that focus around a plant-based lifestyle?
It seems you're left with either vegetarianism for animal rights/welfare, or an environmental group that either overlooks or shies away from the easy answer of vegetarianism.
Sea Shepherd is vegan.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Trusts can be good, but you have to make sure what they are doing with the land they procure in the long-term. Some of them turn their land into "eco-tourism" spots which sound great for a human experience but are a detriment to pristine habitat.

We recently rethought our gifting strategies and are focusing more locally by getting involved with schools who are trying to develop environmental programs and trips for their kids. For as little as a few hundred bucks you can sponsor a field-trip for a class, and if you have the knowledge and resources yourself to present your own program it is all the cheaper. Schools are very receptive to this kind of involvement and have means to receive your money in tax exempt status, get you teachers to help etc.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Sea Shepherd. Because not they do an amazing job, but they also work a lot to show what's hapening to the media. And because they are vegan. And i must admit that the look is nice too ^^

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A while back, the Nature Conservancy's magazine had an article by its new chief scientist, arguing that wilderness is best valued in terms of what it can do for humans. I was stunned that a senior official in a modern environmental organization would possess such an antiquated worldview.

The latest Nature Conservancy magazine may shed some light on the issue: the new President and CEO made his millions with Goldman Sachs before joining TNC. Now the situation becomes clearer: should we be surprised that a CEO who lived for years in a climate of pure, unmitigated greed would welcome senior staff who share the same kind of unconscious greed?

The bottom line is that TNC is not getting one penny of my money until the new CEO is fired by the TNC's board of directors, and the new CEO fires the new chief scientist.

Thanks for letting me rant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts