VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one here who grew up on a farm? People are often surprised that I grew up on a farm since I am vegetarian.

Just curious: What was your experience with animals as you were growing up? Did you grow up on a farm? Have pets/companion animals around you all the time? Did you grow up in a rural, sub-urban, or urban area?

I, obviously, grew up in a rural area. We had pigs, cows, goats, chickens, and lots of dogs and cats living with us. Also the occasional rabbit and duck! There were always animals around. I can't imagine life without them. Just curious about the experience of others.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My grandparents own a farm and I spent most of my childhood there. That was the biggest factor in my decision to be vegetarian, followed by vegan. My grandparents treat their livestock very nicely, and they love them...but they still send them to be slaughtered, and they happily eat steaks. I could never do that.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Grew up in a small town. I always had pets of some sort: outdoor cats, an indoor dog, turtles and fish. My great grand parents had a farm, but I only remember going there a couple of times. I was an animal person and I was always trying to bring home sick, injured or lost animals to keep as pets. My mother is NOT an animal person so of course she didn't let me keep them. I was very happy to get out on my own so I could keep my cat indoors.

·
Banned
559 Posts
always been around animals. grew up in a suburban neighborhood, but we have a lake...so i got to raise ducks and save wounded pond life all the time.

always had dogs, cats, turtles, ducks!, etc.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vegankat

...but they still send them to be slaughtered, and they happily eat steaks. I could never do that.
Interesting. So they send the animals to be slaughtered by someone else? Why don't they do it themselves?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rushabh-on large farms, the cattle are sent to be slaughtered because there is no way it could be done on the farm. The sheer number of animals are more than the farmers could handle themselves. This is usually a farm that is raising cattle for profit (selling the cows or the meat,) not one that is just for subsistance of the family on the farm. Also, many farmers sell their cattle at livestock auctions rather than slaughter them themselves.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I used to stay on a small farm at times (up to my early teens). I'd collect eggs from the Hen house, feed them, milk the Cow, chase a Sheep around on a motorbike with my Dog running along, provoke the Bull into chasing me, drive a tractor (almost crashing into fences), get thrown off a Horse while riding bare-back, and come close to tearing my testicles open when climbing barbed-wire fences.

I was never exposed to the sinister slaughter side at all..... I don't even recall what I thought about the source of meat and the animals I was around.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I grew up in the city, but my parents are very fond of animals (as well as all my relatives) Cats especially. And I was scolded for doing things that would hurt, upset or annoy our cats. They also senounced people who were mean or neglectful to animals.

I think even besides that I have always been very sensitive about animals. I remember fighting with kids if they were about to try to hurt an animal. Even when I was little I would be very bothered by children stepping on worms. I didn't necessarily think they felt pain, but something about it bothered me, that disregard for life.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I'm a citygirl, but we always had dogs and cats. I grew up with dogs basically. I too would bring home injured animals (my mum still hasn't forgiven me for the crow...) I knew more about animals in grade 5 than I do now, because I would sit and read books on animals, and I'm talking fairly indepth heavy going books... not just kiddy picture books. I have forgotten a lot, but I still know more than most, I'd say. I love animals. That is why sometimes I hate humans, because of how we treat animals...

·
Registered
0 Posts
I grew up on a farm,and I think it's the best of all possible places to grow up. Although my parents were always working, they were also always there. During planting/harvesting time, I would come home from school, change clothes, and join my parents in the fields. It gave me a great sense of family cohesion, and of the fact that this was a joint enterprise...we were in this thing called "life" TOGETHER. It made me very aware of what was necessary to make a living, to survive. Also, there were lots of places to explore, and to be alone. And the cats and dogs were my best friends. We always had lots of cats(all outdoor). People were/are always dumping cats and dogs off to fend for themselves or be taken in by a farmer. I became aware, at a very young age, of the irresponsibility and callousness of so many people with respect to animals. Our animals, and those dumped on us, were never allowed to go hungry, which was more than I could say for the townspeople who dumped their animals.

When I was little, we had two milk cows. My mother made butter for our family. I remember one of the cows was sick and wouldn't/couldn't get up. My parents called the local vet, who decided there was nothing wrong with her, and began beating her with a rake to force her to get up. My mother saw what he was doing, and sent him away after giving him a piece of her mind. The cow died later that day. My mother never let that vet step foot on our property again, and we went further afield for veterinary care. We didn't replace either cow. (The second one also eventually died--old age.)

Also, when I was little, we raised a pig for meat and had it butchered. I don't think any of us particularly enjoyed the meat--it was too difficult to "forget" its source, and we never again had a pig.

My father kept chickens for eggs. For a number of years, he bought chicks to replace chickens who had died, and when the roosters were grown, he slaughtered them. I think he must have found it difficult though, because he eventually started buying older hens, who were no longer good layers, from larger chicken operations to replace our hens who were dying of old age.

When I was in college, one of my friends gave us ten ducklings (her mother raised ducks). The idea originall was that they would eventually become dinner, but my father could never bring himself to slaughter them. They had a child's wading pool and had the run of the farm. They all eventually died at the hands (teeth?) of predators and old age, variously.

Oh, we also had a horse, who lived out her retirement on our farm. She was ridden only very seldom, and then bareback.

When I was growing up, there were still a lot of pheasants around. My parents never allowed hunting, and my father would chase off hunters who would shoot from the road at the pheasants in our fields. Both of my parents strongly disapproved of hunting; they couldn't understand how someone could enjoy killing.

To this day, at 83, my mother puts out enormous amounts of birdseed all year long, and daily fresh water for the birds, no matter if she is sick. The farm is a haven for birds and squirrels, and my mother worries about what will happen to her wildlife when she dies.

·
Registered
0 Posts
BTW, pickletatertot, I have gotten that surprised "But how can you be veg*n if you grew up on a farm?" comment a couple of times, which rather surprises me. In my opinion, growing up on a farm should make you more, not less, sensitive to animals.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I grew up in little suburban neighborhoods for the most part, and we almost always had a pet of some sort - dog, cat, fish, bird.. and so on. Animals were always family members... I guess I've had a special fondness for them ever since i was born - my first word as a baby was the name of my grandma's dog, Shadow.

So I guess it was pretty inevitable that I would eventually go veg..

·
Registered
0 Posts
I grew up in a suburban town, same house my whole life, and i've never not had cats. i also used to have a bird, but we gave her away to someone who can spend more time and has other companion birds and bigger cages. *sniffle*

I also used to feed squirrels peanuts out of my hands. and we always have had bird feeders and stuff outside. I guess I grew up in an environment sensitive to that. my mom loved animals which rubbed off on me.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
One of my earliest memories was going over to my neighbours' house to watch the dad cut the heads off of his chickens. I remember laughing.

I come from a family of hunters. Watching videos of the hunt at get togethers was quite common. I've eaten deer, moose, rabbit, beaver and partridge without blinking an eye. It seemed normal at the time.

My uncle owns a small cattle farm. I remember playing with the calves one year. A few months later I went back for a visit, and I had a piece of steak. After I ate it, I was told that it was "Randy" the same little calf I had played with.

My family always had lots of pets. I was abused as a child, and my pets were my comfort and my only friends. As I got older, I couldn't see as clear a separation between the animals I loved and the animals I ate. So I stopped eating meat. I feel so much better now that I'm a veggie/ARA.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I grew up in the suburbs. We never had any pets until I was in high school and I got my birds. Once I left for college, my parents finally got a dog.

My best friend grew up on a mini farm though. I beleive that is what had the most impact on my decision to become vegetarian. She always had pigs and we would go out and pet them and play with them, etc. One morning after spending the night at her house one night her family served bacon for breakfast. As I was eating it, her mother asked how their pigs tasted. EWWWW. It was like eating a pet for me, I couldn't beleive it.

Silver C, after I wrote all that I read about your experience with Randy. I guess we had a similar experience....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverC

One of my earliest memories was going over to my neighbours' house to watch the dad cut the heads off of his chickens. I remember laughing.

I come from a family of hunters. Watching videos of the hunt at get togethers was quite common. I've eaten deer, moose, rabbit, beaver and partridge without blinking an eye. It seemed normal at the time.
<snip>

Quote:

As I got older, I couldn't see as clear a separation between the animals I loved and the animals I ate. So I stopped eating meat. I feel so much better now that I'm a veggie/ARA.
SilverC,

I am quite impressed by your transformation. From a person who enjoyed hunting (watching hunting, at least) and eating various types of hunted animals to one who is now a veg, it must have been quite a transformation for you. I wish you could tell your story to all the recently-arrived Indians who were vegs in their native land but turned into non-vegs simply because they wanted to "blend in" and "assimilate" into the American society. I think you should be the poster person for the American vegetarian movement because quite a large number of Americans can relate to your lifestyle before you became a veg.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have always loved animals, but I never thought to give up meat until last year. Vegetarianism was never something I thought about.

Even when I would go out to my grandparents house. They had A few goats, a cow, some chickens and such. Once I saw them slaughter a goat.
In was very inhumane, I know they cut it's head off slowly, and took the blood in a pot to drink it. (That is almost savage!!!!!!! Well, okay it IS savage! I was so shocked) Then cut it up to make Carne Guisada (Tex-Mex dish).... WITH IT'S BLOOD IN THE GRAVY! They even tried to get us to drink the blood, and I wouldn't. SICK isn't it? Ugh. I think I ate potatoes that night.

Even being Hispanic, I think most cultures of Spanish Ancestry are CRAZY for what they do to animals! Bullfights, in Spain they tie a chicken, or goose, up high, and run by on a horse ripping it's head off, dropping goats out of windows, etc. I've seen videos.

But now I am a happy vegan.
I don't know if my family has goats anymore. I'll probably find out this summer, and BEG them to not kill it while I'm there.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I am growing up in a medium sized city. Every summer we go to vist my grandmothers. She lives on a hobby farms. She has chickens and bulls. Sometimes calves. They are treated real nice and sometimes she asks if i feel different abot eating them. Now, i'd have to say pretty much no. How could you eat someone after you find out how intelligent and caring these creatures really are. I mean, after you name them they are more than just one of a #

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rushabh

Interesting. So they send the animals to be slaughtered by someone else? Why don't they do it themselves?
They did not have the facilities on their property. Commercial beef steers must be slaughtered "humanely" under Federal law. I don't think decapitation is humane at all, even if the animal is drugged, but that's how it goes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.