VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the one thing you do badly with as far as conservation and ecological concerns are...concerned? I figured we could post, and then maybe someone else could post and help us with our downfall.

Mine is too much time in the shower. I spend like, 20-25 minutes in there everyday. The problem is, I have to wash my hair, condition my hair, use body scrub, and then use bar soap. What could I do??!?!? Does anyone else have this problem? The only thing I can think of is shutting the water off in between tasks...

I might just start doing that.

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
rainbowmoon: it's better for your hair not to wash it everyday.

epski: You could use a bicycle for short trips, it's better for your health too.

·
Registered
507 Posts
hehe, rainbowmoon, I have exactly the same problem. it actually depends on my mood. If i'm in a good mood I'm able to easily make my shower 5 minutes long, but if I'm slow and sluggish and down I take forever (ever had the 60 minute shower shocker? guilt, is all i can say). What I do is what you were talking about, shutting off the water inbetween. And if I just need some hot water on my back I try to get the shampooing and everything else done REALLY quickly so afterwards I can just stand there for like 3 minutes or so, just enjoying the water.

One other thing I do is that I'm constantly on the computer, and it's on pretty much 24/7. I suppose I could save a lot of energy using it a few hours a day or less and then shutting it off until the next day.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
You could consider a water-saving shower head.

(or whatever you call the part where the water comes out of)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I drive an SUV (ducks as the flying objects start coming). I am not proud of it, but I have gotten to the point where I am not necessarily ashamed, either. I tried and tried to dodge the SUV bullet, but was forced to face the reality of:

- Seatbelts for 2 adults and 3 children (2 of whom are in carseats),

- Room for 2 dog crates for our 2 Labradors, and

- Space for all the "stuff" that goes along with the above-mentioned people and dogs.

I felt tremendously guilty about the SUV in the beginning. However, I am now just trying to make it up in other ways (manic recycling, water/gas/electric conservation, etc.).

And for the long shower folks - we installed showerheads that can be turned off during the shower (you twist the shower head and the water flow stops - you don't actually have to turn the faucets off and on, which would be a pain). My shower: water on, get wet, water off, soap and shampoo up, water on, rinse, water off, condition hair, water on, rinse. I also don't take long showers (maybe 5 minutes?), and I don't wash my hair every day (which takes the most time).

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 1vegan

epski: You could use a bicycle for short trips, it's better for your health too.
I can't afford the bicycle, used or not. (Besides, my collarbone is still broken) But I did do all my errands on foot last weekend, and that's nothing to sneeze at. I must have walked a total of 3 hours on Sunday! I usually walk short distances anyway. I mainly use the car to go out at night, or to drive to work or auditions.

I'm trying to sell my cars so I can take more public transportation and then maybe I can also afford a decent bike.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I don't recycle. I was sooo good before I moved, and now, NOTHING.

(I bought the water conserving shut-off type of shower head too and follow a similar shower pattern to firebird_81)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
oh i loooove long showers. plus i wash dishes by hand instead of dishwasher. they say a dishwasher uses less water but yuck. im not about to put MY dishes in with pigpens.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i feel that i drive too much. i have a fuel efficient car but live in a rural area which leads to what i feel is an excessive amount of driving. i also think i choose organic over closely grown too much, which is selfish.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
My days of driving a car are numbered...

At least for a while.

I heard from my auto insurance broker today. My rates are going up 33%. I'm done with owning a car in California as long as I'm living this way.

If I can't sell both of my cars in the next two to three weeks, I'm simply going to turn them into the dealer (both are still under lease - please don't lecture me about leasing; trust me, I'll never do that again!), and I'll simply have to suffer the potential negative credit consequences. Better that than be a slave to these environmentally unfriendly beasts anyway.

My monthly auto expenses, including both car payments, the insurance, fuel, etc. hit over $1100 with that insurance increase. It's just plain crazy for me to throw that money away for no good reason.

Hello public transportation!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I don't drive but I take too many cabs I guess. I can use public transportation but sometimes I'd just rather take a cab then take one bus to transfer to the train to take another bus and then walk...

I also take really really long showers/baths. I can't help it sometimes; I fall asleep! (You can't imagine how many times I've woken up almost underwater.) My building doesn't recycle either. I told the landlord and he looked at me like I was insane.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I, too, drive too much. Between my husband and I, we only own one car, though. I used to bike a lot and even have a cargo trailer for my bike, but with two kids to cart around now that's kind of difficult. We had a trailer for the kids for a while, but they're too big for that now.

Other than that, I'm a magazine junkie. I only really like fitness magazines, but there are quite a few. Along with my recent subscription to Herbivore, I now have a total of 7 magazines that I get a month. Once the subscriptions run out, I'm going to narrow them down to a few of my favorites.

I do put them in the lunchroom at work when I'm done with them, so they do get "recycled" that way. But still.....

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I drive a car (but not much - I take public transportation to work). Biking isn't an option for me, because I have knee problems. I do walk when I can. I also use a lot of paper plates due to my crazy work schedule so I don't have to wash so many dishes (I don't have a lot of free time), but I am very conscious of it and intend to make some changes when things slow down a bit.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I take long showers in the morning to wake up. Lately though, I've been cutting my showers down to every other day (unless I get really dirty). I live in the woods in a park, so it's ok.

I also wear most of my clothes (except underwear) more than once or twice before washing.

I am guilty of driving lots, but like I said, I live in a park, and EVERYTHING and everybody is miles away from me. My car is fuel efficient, but I am a speed demon.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My hair is really oily, so I can't skip a day showering. I will have to buy an easy turn off shower...it blows, cuz my bathroom is in the basement, and its freezing cold down there, so when I turn the water off, I'm like shivering! But its worth it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Dawngirl ~ I am with you on not recycling as much. When I lived in Maryland it was required in the area that I lived in (which I think was really cool) but back here in Texas it's a whole different kind of life (not bad ~ just different). I try to recycle as much as possible but in order to get to the nearest recycling station to drop it all off it's a pain in my tuckus ~ especially because I don't own a car. I'm not so sure the people on the public transit system would appreciate my kindness to the earth!

Hugs! ~ Jengle

1 - 20 of 51 Posts