VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just getting a veggie sub at subway - whole wheat, all the toppings (lettuce, tomato, onion, green pepper, sweet peppers, carrots, cucumbers, pickles, olives) oil and vinegar, and provolone cheese. These two little tiny teenage girls behind me ordered veggie subs as well (pretty sure they were vegetarian from their discussion about what to do for "dead turkey day", hehe.) Anyway, to my horror, they got lettuce, onions, and oil on the subs.... THATS IT!!! One of them had american cheese, the other no cheese, and both on white bread. I guess maybe that's what they used to like on an italian sub before, so they just subtracted the meat, lol.

Anyway, I considered saying something to them, but decided it would be presumptuous and intrusive, so I didn't. But I worry about them getting enough nutrients if they don't like veggies! I wish we could have a little "mentor" program for new vegetarians to help them ensure a healthy diet, especially the younger ones. I just had to get that off my chest, thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I hear ya! I could have used the help when I first started off... and I was 17, LOL. I tried before that but my mother wouldn't have anything to do with it. Hahhaa, here's showing her, almost 10 years later, here I sit.
And eating healthier than she is, most days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
maby we should start a program like that, turn this thread into a place to meet eachother, and then exchange emails with eachother about that. I would love to help as a 16 year vegetarian

·
Registered
0 Posts
Young and misguided? Maybe they just don't like a ton of vegetables on their sandwiches.

I never ordered the works on a veggie Subway sub (which I don't even eat anymore). I just don't care for the taste of 10 different vegetables piled on top of each other. No biggie.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I think the OP was just trying to say that maybe they aren't very educated on how to eat as a vegetarian. I mean white bread with lettuce, cheese and oil is pretty lacking in much of anything.

And she didn't say anything to them because she didn't know the facts about them. I don't think it is too far fetched to say that a lot of people (young or old) who turn veg*n will need some help along the way until they figure out what is what and may not be eating very well at first (or ever with some people).

I still think a nice little pamphlet would be nice.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been here 3 weeks and I already knew seeing you replied to this VJ that you would say something like that. By the way, its "young and unguided". Not misguided. You read into that a bit. And yes, I think a sandwich with iceberg lettuce and onions is not a good lunch. I'm not a huge subway fan either but its vegetarian and cheap so when I don't have a lunch I go there. Obviously not everyone likes "the works" but I think something more than iceberg lettuce is certainly called for. I'm trying to have a positive thread about youth nutrition - 14 year olds need more than iceberg lettuce to grow on. Is that really so controversial? ;-)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

I've been here 3 weeks and I already knew seeing you replied to this VJ that you would say something like that.
I'm not so sure what this means... I thought my post was pretty calm and neutral. It seems you're trying to imply otherwise. I bring a lot of positivity to threads and reach out to a lot of people who need help, so I don't care about your judgements. Thanks.

Quote:

By the way, its "young and unguided". Not misguided. You read into that a bit.
Okay, I'm sorry. It was an honest accident, though.

Quote:

And yes, I think a sandwich with iceberg lettuce and onions is not a good lunch. I'm not a huge subway fan either but its vegetarian and cheap so when I don't have a lunch I go there. Obviously not everyone likes "the works" but I think something more than iceberg lettuce is certainly called for. I'm trying to have a positive thread about youth nutrition - 14 year olds need more than iceberg lettuce to grow on. Is that really so controversial? ;-)
I didn't think it was controversial subject at all. I think it's a great idea for a thread, and it's good to think of ways to educate teens who go veg*n. Some of them don't know much about nutrition.

I wasn't trying to bring negativity to the thread. I was confused by the title, and I was suggesting that maybe the kids are like me and don't enjoy eating lots of veggies at a time. Or maybe they just don't like those particular vegetables that Subway has to offer. I'm not crazy about olives or cucumbers, either.
I don't see the big deal, that's all.

Plus, depending on how much oil was used and the size of the sandwich, the caloric intake might not have been too bad for a teen's lunch.
Cheese, lettuce, onions, and oil on a footlong sub isn't that bad, considering the context that we don't have complete knowledge of.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VJ i didn't mean to upset you, I just notice you tend to play devil's advocate, you've got a fiesty kick. Nothing inherently wrong with that. ;-)

I think you read it as "young and misguided" and just took on a defensive tone. Its all cool.

It was a 6 inch sub by the way. Not a lot of oil. Sigh. These girls were your typical teeny weeny emo girls..... maybe its because I'm pregnant, but after seeing them, I just want to feed them, lol. I know that when I started as a vegetarian I didn't know a ton about good veggie nutrition - I was pretty decent on omni nutrition, it took a while for me to figure out the right new balance for my body. Thats all i'm talking about here. ;-)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

VJ i didn't mean to upset you, I just notice you tend to play devil's advocate, you've got a fiesty kick. Nothing inherently wrong with that. ;-)

I think you read it as "young and misguided" and just took on a defensive tone. Its all cool.

It was a 6 inch sub by the way. Not a lot of oil. Sigh. These girls were your typical teeny weeny emo girls..... maybe its because I'm pregnant, but after seeing them, I just want to feed them, lol. I know that when I started as a vegetarian I didn't know a ton about good veggie nutrition - I was pretty decent on omni nutrition, it took a while for me to figure out the right new balance for my body. Thats all i'm talking about here. ;-)
Oh, well then lets
'em. hehe

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I was kinda thinking along the same lines as veggiejanie.

I hate the nasty veggies at subway, so if I have to eat there (ie) starving, broke and no other options, I will get a 6 inch with just lettuce, cheese and green peppers. I hate the taste of all their other veggies. Even the ones I get are gross. And I know plenty about nutrition. Just cause you know doesn't mean you always put it into practice.

But I also do know what you mean about wanting to give them guidance. I feel like that myself if I see anyone with poor nutrional habits.

You could always give them this website address! That generation may (or may not) respond better to that than to a pamphlet. I know for myself personally, VB was a haven as a new vegetarian- for support and information.

BTW- congrats! You're going to be a great mom. The maternal instinct is already kickin into high gear!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a fabulous idea synergy - tell them about VB! I wish I had thought of that :) Definitely something that generation can get into, and not feel weird about :) So smart :)

And thanks about the mom comment *blushes*

btw I also very much dislike the taste of subway's veggies. I have them put on oil, vinegar and lots of black pepper, and that gives the sub a little kick ;-)

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Young & un/misguided? Last I knew, subway cheese had animal-based rennet in it. The noncheese girl was the only one who made the vegetarian choice out of the 3 of you.

I do find it controversial because I can't imagine someone turning to me because I had a bag of (vegan) chips and spouting off about nutrition.

Now, I know you didn't, but you thought about it. You have no idea what they eat on a regular basis. They were at a fast food joint. They aren't exactly known for being nutritional libraries.

There are plenty of things I eat because I WANT to, not because i'm uneducated on nutrition.

If they like their sammiches like that, then so what?

·
Banned
8 Posts
I dont think it was the poster's intent to rally up a pamphlet campaign and get in people's faces*. If the girls behind her are into poor nutrition, its their life, and if they are simply doing it as a matter of taste preference, it is also theirs. The basic premise of offering a COMPLETLY OPTIONAL nutrition advice resource for vegetarians is good, and I'd say the same easily about those who choose to eat meat, as well. I hope nobody here has the misconception that we as vegetarians are somehow more nutritionally "enlightened" by default.

* At least, I hope it wasn't.

PS - My girlfriend is studying to be a dietician, believe me, I am well-versed in the subtleties of this debate and scenario.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

Young & un/misguided? Last I knew, subway cheese had animal-based rennet in it. The noncheese girl was the only one who made the vegetarian choice out of the 3 of you.

I do find it controversial because I can't imagine someone turning to me because I had a bag of (vegan) chips and spouting off about nutrition.

Now, I know you didn't, but you thought about it. You have no idea what they eat on a regular basis. They were at a fast food joint. They aren't exactly known for being nutritional libraries.

There are plenty of things I eat because I WANT to, not because i'm uneducated on nutrition.

If they like their sammiches like that, then so what?
Agreed 150%

·
Registered
141 Posts
I became a vegetarian at age 9- my parents are omni's and basically I just ate what sounded good to me, which was usually a ton of carbs and fruit and very little protein. Actually, until I developed an eating disorder and had to go to a nutritionist I had no idea what I was supposed to be eating! I seriously used to think that a bunch of fries and an apple was a good lunch... and of course, mac&cheese for dinner.

True, we don't know those specific girl's specific situation, but why does that matter? It's more about the idea that was inspired by the situation. I wish I had some kind of easy access info on nutrition for vegetarian teens when I was that age!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wish I had the privilage of being illinformed about nutrition when I stopped eating meat. With parents like mine I knew I had to do the research to prove how to eat healthy. ....of course being me I didn't fallow through, I eat healthy only about half the time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.