VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
I was a normal-sized boy, but after a severe sinus infection put me in the hospital for two months in fourth grade, I gained 20 pounds. At 5 feet 8 inches, I weighed a healthy, embarrassing, terrible, natural, miserable 135 pounds. I became the chubby kid in fifth grade. I always wore my T-shirt in the pool. Over the summer, though, I grew three inches and shed 10 pounds. It was like a magic wand waved over my sad-sack life: Did Susan McDonald, the class beauty, really just touch my arm she was cracking up so hard at my joke? Was I really, during recess, the second one chosen for kickball?

I was euphoric. And I was hooked. If this was what happened after I lost 10 pounds, what would happen if I lost 20? My brain with its genetic predisposition to addictions alighted with possibility. Who could have known something as innocuous as a growth spurt could lead to starving myself?
- Full story.

On of the more WTF parts of that is when his parents threatened him with boarding school and groundings. Er...

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
If this was what happened after I lost 10 pounds, what would happen if I lost 20?
From that logic, I'd suggest that his first weight loss actually came from his brain.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Well, it's pretty messed up too of course.

It's not really widely known that boys also can become anorexic.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
I've known quite a few males with eating disorders (mind you, I met them when I was in treatment for anorexia myself, but still) and all of them were straight. One was a basketball coach at a state university. They're not immune to eating disorders any more than females are immune to being sociopaths. It is less common, however.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

I've known quite a few males with eating disorders (mind you, I met them when I was in treatment for anorexia myself, but still) and all of them were straight. One was a basketball coach at a state university. They're not immune to eating disorders any more than females are immune to being sociopaths. It is less common, however.
I would certainly think men with anorexia are far, far less common than female sociopaths.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

I would certainly think men with anorexia are far, far less common than female sociopaths.
Nowadays, I really couldn't tell you!!

Then again, I guess that depends on how you define a female sociopath.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Nowadays, I really couldn't tell you!!

Then again, I guess that depends on how you define a female sociopath.
Female, sociopath... synonyms, lol.

j/k

1 - 7 of 7 Posts