VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I usually go out to eat (usually an Italian place), one of the only vegan options is a plate of spaghetti with tomato sauce. I usually order that. Sometimes though, there's a little parmesan cheese on top. Is it bad that I don't throw a fuss and just work my way around it/try to take some off/just mix it in and eat it? I feel SO uncomfortable in this position, but does anyone else go through this? Last night I had this happen to me, and I actually had a nightmare about it

I usually ask to put no cheese, but the menu said cheese was extra so I assumed that it wasn't on it. Turns out there was a little :/

Is it bad that I don't make a fuss about it? I'm 17 and I'd feel like a ***** when I'm out with friends for making a huge deal over it. I mean it's not like I'm directly ordering the cheese...

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Depends I guess. If you struggled with giving up cheese, as so many do, having a little could start bad cravings again. I don't see returning a dish and asking for what you ordered as a big fuss though, when done quietly with a smile on your face.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I don't see how you would come off as a ***** or making a huge fuss if you just asked nicely if you could have another plate without cheese. Orders get messed up all the time. As long as you are polite about it then it shouldn't be a huge deal.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm vegan. Vegans don't eat cheese. Knowing that makes situations like this a lot easier. Whatever I choose to do, it will most definitely not involve eating cheese. There's really no reason to feel uncomfortable or bad in this situation. You're a vegan. You don't eat cheese. Just tell them that.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'd bring it back simply because I'm lactose intolerant. If I wasn't, I don't know if I would give it back to them because they would probably just either pick it out themselves and give it back to you or throw it out and be wasteful with the food... :S

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I would say every single time "no cheese at all" or "no cheese of any kind."

But if you already received it because you hadn't specified and are okay with eating it (taste-wise and stomach-wise and emotionally), then eat it or box it up and take it home to someone who can; the damage has been done.

If you specified "no cheese" specifically and they messed up your order, then I'd send it back (but also maybe suggest that you have a person at home who can eat the botched order, in case they just throw that out).

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Anyone puts solidified cow pus on my food and solidified cow pus being on my food is exactly what I complain about.

Being able to quote that the allowable pus content of moo-juice is 400,000,000 cells per litre does make that seem a tad more reasonable objection than it may appear to be on the first hearing though.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If it is on in a way that it is not much and I can pick it off, then I might not say anything. But if it is of the type that is melted into the sauce or something like that, I will ask for a non-cheese version.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If I asked for it without cheese, then I expect it without cheese. And would gently remind them of the fact when I received my food with cheese on top. But as someone has mentioned, they may just take it back to the kitchen and remove the cheese and hand the dish back to you. I had no idea of what some chefs/kitchen staff do to food when someone complains until I did a bit of research - so if you return it, be NICE!!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Always specify when ordering. If there's any chance the dish could have dairy added, tell them you want no dairy. And don't worry about sending things back. I'm waitress and people complain about much sillier things. Just be polite.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I would send it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa View Post

I'm waitress and people complain about much sillier things. Just be polite.
I whinged about a wobbly table when I was out earlier tonight - "Bring me a piece of cardboard now garcon!"

·
Registered
337 Posts
As I vegan I would have specified, no cheese or dairy used in preparation. Since it was prepared incorrectly, I would send it back.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
The same thing I would do in a hypothetical situation when I get pizza with cheese.
(seriously people, can we be a little more creative here!?)

Send it back and get a new one without cheese!

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

The same thing I would do in a hypothetical situation when I get pizza with cheese.
(seriously people, can we be a little more creative here!?)

Send it back and get a new one without cheese!
Being specific when you order saves a lot of trouble in the long run. I'll usually mention I don't eat dairy and double check that nothing I order comes with cheese, then if they make a mistake I don't have to feel bad about sending it back. When I order pizza online I deselect all the cheese and put a note in the comment section saying "no cheese on the vegetarian pizza at all, thanks" so they know it wasn't just an omission.

In the end it's totally worth it to get used to taking that extra minute to be specific when you order, cheese can end up in weird places sometimes. Once I ordered a side garden salad at Denny's and it came covered in shredded cheddar, that taught me my lesson about asking first (I guess I really should have known, it WAS Denny's
)

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I really believe that all the people that just pick off cheeses like feta, melted mozzarella, ricotta, and parm are some sort of magicians!
I don't see how someone could pick out every little bit of those cheeses since they tend to be so tiny, melty, and are experts at being deceptive and hiding in the little cracks and crevices in most foods.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
If I was given something and it had say, coleslaw on the side that was contaminating some of my food, i'd give the bits covered in coleslaw to a friend/family/whoever im with or just leave it on the plate - and eat the bits that were clean. BUT if it was all over my actual food I'd send it back in the nicest way possible. you are paying for food - why cant it be right? as long as youre not asking for outrageous things no worries. With pasta, I'd always specify no cheese just in case.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Anyone puts solidified cow pus on my food and solidified cow pus being on my food is exactly what I complain about.

Being able to quote that the allowable pus content of moo-juice is 400,000,000 cells per litre does make that seem a tad more reasonable objection than it may appear to be on the first hearing though.
I think it might be fair to assume that the vegan diner walked into the restaurant at will. Reacting to a mistake with that kind of antagonism would be pretty pathetic.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys! I didn't specify "no cheese" so I guess I deserved it. I felt terrible eating it and afterwards my stomach was terrible. I'd never ever get cravings for cheese. I guess I'll just have to tell them "no cheese" every time I order.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Yeah, it's always a good idea to specify "no dairy" on orders... Even worse that this was parmesan... That's not even vegetarian as it has to, by law, have calf rennet in it because it's a trademarked name and protected designation of origin.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts