VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few moments ago a casual aquaintance came into my office and right out told me that i look terrible today. thanks, now i feel terrible too.

can we institute some kind of new social rule that any such comments immediately receive the response of a b**** slap?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I always hate it when people come in and say something like that - my other favorite is "Oh my gosh you look so tired today - didn't you get any sleep last night" or "are you ok - you like kind of sick" or some theme and variation on those. I know sometimes it is said out of concern, but I usually try to adopt my mom's wisdom: if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all. If I am having a bad appearance day - I am very aware of the problem and don't need everyone pointing it out.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My personal fav was when my boss/friend said, "What's up with you today, you're all casual, got your glasses on, hair pulled up...you feeling ok?"

I dress like that EVERY DAY FOR WORK.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i didn't even feel as though i looked bad!! i had a shower, styled my hair and i'm ever wearing a wee bit of make-up!

i'm also completely annoyed by the conversation i have every morning with my boss (whom i HATE - and i'm not a hater).

troll: are you tired today

me: no

troll: well, i must be looking at you with tired eyes

EVERY DAY i endure this.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
LOL. The bf and I ran around doing stupid stuff most of Monday--nothing taxing in the least, but we ended up not getting a whole lot of sleep. I came into the office and a coworker said to me "What were you doing all weekend? You look dead." When the bf got to work, he got the comment "You must have had a nice weekend. You look tired, but chipper."

I would have much rather had the chipper comment. Oh, well. I'm not trying to impress any of the coworkers. Now when the bf asks me if I'm feeling ok b/c I look sick/tired/yucky whatever--haven't ever hit him, but I've raised my hand a couple of times. (Usually b/c I AM tired which makes me extra cranky).

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Raine

can we institute some kind of new social rule that any such comments immediately receive the response of a b**** slap?
You got my vote.

More frequently, when I worked a real job, if I even just tucked in my shirt some smartass would ask me why I'm all dressed up. #$%^!!!

There was one time when a coworker told me I looked like **** - I had been travelling for weeks 3 or 4 cities/week and hadn't slept much. When I looked in the mirror after I was told I looked like **** it looked like I had aged 25 years and had two black eyes. Perhaps sometimes people aren't entirely out of place to comment!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My mom used to always point out when I had a pimple. "Oh, you've got a pimple on your chin." Like I didn't already know!

I must have protested enough that she finally stopped doing it, though.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I hate that! The other day I got new contacts (I had been wearing my glasses for about 5 months i was too cheap to buy new contacts right away) My boss walks in "you look funny!"

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Eugh... I get that too. I was in the orchestra room after class with my friend (who is a wonderful pianist) learning how to play piano, when our orch. teacher came in and sat down by me on the bench and started playing. So I started at her (I've never gotten along with her, too many reasons to list why), slammed my hands down on the keys and ran off to have lunch. Before I leave the room I hear "Ellen, why's she so cranky? What happened to her? All I did was walk in the room!" *screams* I can't stand that woman!

Whoo... I'm okay. *calms down*

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My friend Sarah asks stupid questions all the time. It's always, "Are you okay?" when I'm obviously not, or "You look sick" when it's apparent.

She also has the habit of asking people, me included, "Wow, have you lost weight?" That seems like a terribly rude question to ask, in my opinion, and it hurts when you're struggling to conquer an eating disorder and you DON'T want people to point out your weight.

She is utterly exasperating.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JDghoergw4ktu!!!! I HATE... HATE it when people have the need to point out something I would know is there!

"You have a HUGE pimple on your chin!" Nooooo S**T?! Oh, geez Mr. Isaac Newton! maybe you should sit and point out everything, because NOBODY notices ANYTHING! Especially on their OWN FACE! God forbid I look at myself! Because THEN I'd be VAIN!

*calms down*

Ooh.. maybe I'll use that next time.

I used to care when people asked, "have you lost weight?" I felt like I accomplished something. But when I REALLY made a dent at the beginning of the year, no one seemed to notice. Maybe I'm just an attention whore? lol It's probably because they saw me like every day. Maybe when I get back to school they'll notice. heh

Some people are just FRUSTERATING!

·
Registered
184 Posts
That happened to me about a month ago. A bunch of us went camping one weekend and Saturday morning, 3 different people asked me if I was okay. I was like "okay, it is 7:30 in the morning, and I have been awake for exactly 30 seconds, I think I am allowed to look less than gorgeous" Geez, I didn't look THAT bad....*mutters*

But I'm also on the other end of the spectrum. Hehe, I felt so bad after I did it! My best friend always looks really tired right after she wakes up (I guess everybody does, but she just takes a little longer to get going) So I walk in the room and without realizing what I was saying, I go, "holy cow, you look like crap"

It's amazing how much she puts up with!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I feel like comments about people's weight -- however well-meaning -- are totally inappropriate. If someone looks like they've had a positive weight change (loss or gain), I just say, "You look great!" That pretty much covers it and you don't insult anyone.

About 3 years after I graduated high school, I ran into an old classmate. A guy I barely knew. And he said, "Wow, you look great! Have you lost a lot of weight???!"

OK, what's wrong with this commentary. For one, "What... did I look like s%&$ before?" And two, "Was I really HUGE before or something? Was I just like a disgusting blob?!?" I've always been of average weight (if anything, on the thin side), in high school and beyond. So I have no idea where his comment was coming from, but it pissed the he$$ out of me. That conversation was almost 7 years ago and I still marvel at it.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
It bugs me when I get into work and this one particular coworker, upon noticing my telltale signs of tiredness, goes around telling everyone I was up late on a hot date. Fortunately, no one takes this guy seriously.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol.. One guy that liked me, hadn't seen me in a long time. And in that long time I had changed my make-up, and cut my hair.. When he saw me he didn't know what to say, and he goes, "Wow, you look....better..." I laughed and said, "What? did I look like s**t before?" He said he didn't know what do say... But I know. Frosh year I looked like crap, IMO. hehehe.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does this happen to anyone else?

I can be in a perfectly fine mood, and someone says "Smile!"

Why do people have to say that?

THIS IS MY FACE! This is how I look. I don't feel that I always have to walk around with a big grin on my face. I was in a great mood, until you said that!!!

Who are these people who say "Smile" to other people?

And why? WHY????

Sorry for the rant!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I came into work tonight, and the guys stated I looked tired. I had plenty of sleep, it is just an allergy attack making my eyes a lil red. Geeeeeezz

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How about when you feel your hair looks crap, then people (including a teacher) say "Your hair looks really nice today"

Does that mean it never looks nice, expect for today?

And also that just confused me, I dont know if people are genuine or if they are being sypmathetic, and trying to make me feel better for having bad hair.

I genrally dont take compliements well.

And also when people say "YOU'RE WEARING THAT!?!?" Of corse im wearing it.. does it not look like i am?

And why should you care about what im wearing if i dont??

Danny

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Once after I got dressed (I was wearinga skirt with blue roses, and chinese symbols on it it was sooo cool, and a black shirt) my Dad said, "Well, Aren't you going to get dressed!" I GOT SO MAD! He said he thought I was wearing pajama pants....

Then to top it off, I had my hair combed, and the loose hair at the top on a pony tail was intentionally curly and messy, and he goes, "COMB YOUR HAIR..."

Sometimes I detest my dad.

My mom does the "You're wearing that?" thing too... So what if I want to wear a polo shirt to graduation? people wear more casual clothes..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts