VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy my husband works with has one of those calenders with daily trivia (The 365 Amazing Trivia Facts Calender- www.pageaday.com). He found this question in there-

Q- What animal's sapphire-blue blood is used in testing for bacterial toxins in all drugs and invasive medical devices manufactured for human use in the US?

A- The horseshoe crab's. The crabs are caught, drained of about 1/3 of their blood and returned to the deep. A protein in their white blood cells is turned into a freeze-dried powder called Limulus Amebocyte Lysate (LAL), which pharmaceutical companies are required by the Food and Drug Administration to use in screening new batches of drugs and equipment for purity.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
My friend from Vermont went to college in Maine for Biology. One summer, her job was to catch and test horseshoe crabs on the beaches of Maine.

She could go on forever on the amazing biological properties of those crabs.

·
Banned
14,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by punkmommy

A guy my husband works with has one of those calenders with daily trivia (The 365 Amazing Trivia Facts Calender- www.pageaday.com). He found this question in there-

Q- What animal's sapphire-blue blood is used in testing for bacterial toxins in all drugs and invasive medical devices manufactured for human use in the US?

A- The horseshoe crab's. The crabs are caught, drained of about 1/3 of their blood and returned to the deep. A protein in their white blood cells is turned into a freeze-dried powder called Limulus Amebocyte Lysate (LAL), which pharmaceutical companies are required by the Food and Drug Administration to use in screening new batches of drugs and equipment for purity.
I actually did some work recently with a company that does those tests. They are always located in Atlantic coastal states.

I assumed they had to kill the crabs, but the lady I spoke with said they didn't. They also do some other tests with crabs that don't involve their blood...something to do with their shells.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.