VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
You know someone is vegan when they never refer to it as a diet.

* You know someone is really vegan when they get angry at dairy industry commercials.

* You know someone is really vegan when they look at clothing made of wool, fur, leather, or any other skin and just see horrific pain and suffering.

* You know someone is really vegan when they can no longer use euphemisms for animal exploitation. Instead of saying filet they would say the dismembered flesh of a corpse of a sentient creature. They would not say putting them to sleep or euthanasia but instead say killing them
http://thevegantruth.blogspot.com/

The list goes on. I posted this in the vegan section, so vegetarians be warned, it contains comments that might be a bit offensive. I don't necessarily agree with everything in the list, but I thought it was an interesting read nonetheless.

·
Registered
824 Posts
These are all true. Especially; You know someone is really vegan when they use the phrase ‘you cannot be a meat-eating environmentalist’.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Well, I guess I'm a poser because I don't fit a whole lot of these.
The overwhelming majority of people in my life are non-vegetarians. I hope that many of them will someday change their minds, and I enjoy feeding them vegan foods (especially my little nanny gals), but I don't think an overtly hostile attitude will help me in this quest.

Quote:
* You know someone is really vegan when they can no longer use euphemisms for animal exploitation. Instead of saying "filet" they would say "the dismembered flesh of a corpse of a sentient creature." They would not say "putting them to sleep" or "euthanasia" - but instead say- "killing them".

* You know someone is really vegan when there is no way in the world they will ever be tempted by a non-vegan product because they can't look at them without seeing the horrendous suffering behind the pretty wrappings.

* You know someone is really vegan when they tell a stranger in the grocery store check out line the reasons to give up dairy

* You know someone is really vegan when they leaflet.

* You know someone is really vegan when they use the phrase 'you cannot be a meat-eating environmentalist'.

* You know someone is really vegan when they compare factory farms to Nazi death camps.

* You know someone is really vegan when they consider artificial insemination of cows to be the moral equivalent of rape.

* You know someone is really vegan when they call meat-eaters "carnists" or "corpse-munchers" and view them this way.

* You know someone is really vegan when they dread hearing the words, "I'm a vegetarian!"

·
Registered
824 Posts
Haha, I wouldn't think I'm hostile, maybe a little combative sometimes, but I was taking the list rather tongue in cheek. Some serious points in there though.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Well, no. I've met enough vegetarians who resent this implication to never assume that.
Yeah... I don't think we're supposed to assume that (especially on this board, since we're never supposed to imply that vegetarianism isn't enough.)

·
Banned
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

Why? Aren't vegetarians potential vegans in training? I'm serious, I didn't know vegans despised vegetarians.
I'm vegan, although if someone is vegetarian, or even a meat-eater who abstains a few days a week, then I'm thrilled that it's a step in the right direction. Besides, it's easier to inspire 5 people to cut down their meat consumption by 50% than it is to inspire one person to go vegan, and then it's easier to inspire someone who has cut out a large portion of their meat consumption to cut it out completely than it is to encourage someone who feels that a meal isn't a meal without meat.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

I'm vegan, although if someone is vegetarian, or even a meat-eater who abstains a few days a week, then I'm thrilled that it's a step in the right direction. Besides, it's easier to inspire 5 people to cut down their meat consumption by 50% than it is to inspire one person to go vegan, and then it's easier to inspire someone who has cut out a large portion of their meat consumption to cut it out completely than it is to encourage someone who feels that a meal isn't a meal without meat.
I became vegetarian for health reasons, but soon began to appreciate and embrace the ethical and environmental arguments. Then, over time I began to see the big picture and just recently made the pledge to go vegan. I'm blowing it left and right, but I'm trying as hard as I can. That's why I can't understand the attitude toward vegetarians, especially ones doing it "just for health".

It seems that being encouraging and supportive might help others like me to expand their awareness and continue further down the road. In contrast, threads about what a "real" vegan is smacks of the elitism and holier-than-thou attitude that omnis complain about endlessly. As such, I'm finding it difficult to remain a member of this community. I've brought it up with Michael in the past and he doesn't think people have crossed the line, which is fine, it's his prerogative, so I think I will just bid "Farewell" and wish you all godspeed and a safe journey. I will find my own way on my vegan quest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Well, I guess I'm a poser because I don't fit a whole lot of these.
The overwhelming majority of people in my life are non-vegetarians. I hope that many of them will someday change their minds, and I enjoy feeding them vegan foods (especially my little nanny gals), but I don't think an overtly hostile attitude will help me in this quest.
I must not be really vegan then, either. I would never say those things to anyone. They're mean and condescending, IMO. And they're meant to be sensational, which just rubs me the wrong way. One can be frank about veganism and the realities of speciesism without such extreme speech. It also runs the risk of alienating the very people you mean to convince.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Butterflies Katz is a pretty cool person, so if you think she is hateful and condescending you are reading too much into it.

Another thread where vegans pretty much can't talk about our feelings amongst ourselves without being accused of hatred toward vegetarians.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Quote:

In contrast, threads about what a "real" vegan is smacks of the elitism and holier-than-thou attitude that omnis complain about endlessly.
I wouldn't let a few bad apples put you off. Many people, veg or not, have a holier than thou attitude, I just take it with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda66 View Post

It also runs the risk of alienating the very people you mean to convince.
Precisely, and that is what I am trying to be very careful of. I would love to have a world where everyone went vegan, but shock therapy in the form of extremism wasn't what convinced me. What convinced me was hearing from people who used to work at the slaughterhouse about what really happened there, research I've done on a health problem of mine that many articles kept saying that meat eating will exacerbate, and the fact that the world's population is skyrocketing and that we won't be able to feed ourselves if we continue our current eating habits. As for everyone else, hopefully I can lead by example!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Another thread where vegans pretty much can't talk about our feelings amongst ourselves without being accused of hatred toward vegetarians.
It's pretty unfortunate, especially considering no one even really said anything...

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:

I became vegetarian for health reasons, but soon began to appreciate and embrace the ethical and environmental arguments. Then, over time I began to see the big picture and just recently made the pledge to go vegan. I'm blowing it left and right, but I'm trying as hard as I can. That's why I can't understand the attitude toward vegetarians, especially ones doing it "just for health".

It seems that being encouraging and supportive might help others like me to expand their awareness and continue further down the road. In contrast, threads about what a "real" vegan is smacks of the elitism and holier-than-thou attitude that omnis complain about endlessly. As such, I'm finding it difficult to remain a member of this community. I've brought it up with Michael in the past and he doesn't think people have crossed the line, which is fine, it's his prerogative, so I think I will just bid "Farewell" and wish you all godspeed and a safe journey. I will find my own way on my vegan quest.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.