VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whether you gradually transition to veg*anism or go veg*an overnight, switching to a new diet/lifestyle can be something of a culture shock. I hope this will help those of you who are new to or aspiring to veg*anism:

You Know You're a Veg*an Now When...

1. You automatically check in the pantry for a can of tuna to make salad with, and suddenly remember that you gave all your canned tuna away to a neighbor.

Keep a can or two of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) in the pantry for those
moments. You can mash up the chickpeas and make "mock tuna" salad the same way you used to make regular tuna salad.

2. A friend invites you to a barbecue and you forget to mention that you're a veg*an now, so as a result when you get there all you can eat are some raw carrots and the potato chips.

If somebody wants to know why you're not eating the barbecued meat(s), laugh and say "I forgot I'm a veg*an now!" Besides being true, it will keep the mood light. Don't say anything at the time, but the next time you talk to your friend, casually mention that you've adopted a veg*an diet and will happy to bring something veg*an to their next barbecue.

3. You finally agree to go to a restaurant with others that they picked out, and you have no clue what's on the menu. When you get there, there doesn't seem to be a single thing on the menu that you can eat, and you're too embarrassed to say something to anybody.

The better restaurants will accomodate you. All you have to do is ask! No reason to be embarrassed about your diet. Make a meal out of side orders. If they have pasta entrees, ask for pasta without meat, or cheese if you won't eat cheese now. Ask that the pasta be cooked in oil instead of butter, if you're avoiding butter. If they have just vegetables, ask for that with the pasta. Or ask for vegetables and a baked potato if they offer a potato. Sometimes you will have to "make do", but that's better than going hungry.

4. Your coworkers or your schoolmates suddenly start making fun of your healthy veg*an lunches, and you don't understand why.

Their view: by adopting a veg*an diet, you have chosen to alienate yourself from them, and from the "majority". Why would you want to do that? You limit your choices. You're no longer part of "the team" or "the gang". You can't enjoy pizza or a nice, juicy hamburger anymore (they think). Solution: make something veg*an, but don't tell them it's veg*an, and share it with them.

There's more, but I'm at work right now.

·
Registered
773 Posts
These are great Amy. They're kind of like the pocket version of the New Vegetarian Tips thread. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5. You haven't told most of your relatives yet because they wouldn't understand your new diet. As a consequence, for the first time in your life, instead of looking forward to their annual "special" holiday dinner, you're afraid to go.

Research the holiday you're celebrating. Make the gathering about the holiday, and about family, rather than about the food, even if the food is a major part of the celebration. Prepare a special presentation about the holiday. Involve any children who are going to be present. if you want. Also, prepare a veg*an dish to bring along. Don't tell anyone about it. Simply say this is something special you wanted to share (but don't forget to save some for yourself).

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Research the holiday you're celebrating. Make the gathering about the holiday, and about family, rather than about the food, even if the food is a major part of the celebration. Prepare a special presentation about the holiday. Involve any children who are going to be present. if you want. Also, prepare a veg*an dish to bring along. Don't tell anyone about it. Simply say this is something special you wanted to share (but don't forget to save some for yourself).
That's a great idea, Amy! I'm definitely going to do that!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Rock on, Amy, great idea for a thread.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6. You're not used to checking labels for certain ingredients, and when you get home from grocery shopping, it suddenly occurs to you to look, and you discover that certain items do not "fit" in your new diet because of their ingredients.

This happens to a lot of people. I've done it, too! Simply return these items, if possible, but not before making a list of these items so you'll know what to avoid in the future. Do some research to see if there are veg*an alternatives to what you returned. If they cannot be returned, make them a gift to somebody you know who might appreciate them. Or, donate them to a food drive, food bank or homeless shelter. Learning "the hard way" is an unfortunate part of being a veg*an in an omni society.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudVegan View Post

I wish I can add on.. but none of it applies to me. :p
Well, of course not, because you're not a new veg*an.

You know you're a veg*an now when:

7. You get so bored with the same 'ol fruits and veggies that you reluctantly try something you previously insisted to the entire planet that you hated - and then wonder why you never liked it before.

Changing tastebuds! Now that you've gotten animal flesh, and, hopefully, a lot of other highly processed "foods", out of your system, your sense of taste and your sense of smell have returned to a more innocent time! (similar to what happens when a smoker quits the habit <cough cough>)

·
Registered
773 Posts
^^ I've noticed that some already. There are a lot of things that taste better to me know fruit and veggie wise than they ever did before. Makes me want to try more stuff!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
You Know You're a New Vegetarian When...

You click on a thread entitled "Honey..." thinking it to be a joyfully fun analysis of Pooh Bear.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

You Know You're a New Vegetarian When...

You click on a thread entitled "Honey..." thinking it to be a joyfully fun analysis of Pooh Bear.
Awwwww

·
Registered
203 Posts
The only places I eat out at is where I can watch them make my food and I know the ingredients are vegan
Subway/Quiznos hates me b/c I make sure they change their gloves and if they screw up and put cheese or something on the bread I make them change gloves and start over
One time I brought tofutti and had them put it on lol. That was kinda funny cuz they said noone's ever brought their own cheese before

·
Registered
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

Or when you think that, since you've become vegan, you'll never eat out again!
Or when you do eat out.. you must call the place before hand and do research to be sure what you will eat.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Subways gave me a small hunk of meat with my garden burger sub once.

It was loose in the wrapper so I assume they picked it up by mistake.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

Or when you think that, since you've become vegan, you'll never eat out again!
... but you find that with a bit of imagination and maybe some sweet talking to the waitstaff
you can get something that makes even the hardest omni go "OOOOOHHHH! I sooo wish I had ordered that!"

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
The only places I eat out at is where I can watch them make my food and I know the ingredients are vegan Subway/Quiznos hates me b/c I make sure they change their gloves and if they screw up and put cheese or something on the bread I make them change gloves and start over One time I brought tofutti and had them put it on lol. That was kinda funny cuz they said noone's ever brought their own cheese before
Haha, that's awesome. Sounds like something I would do, lol.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottsMom View Post

You Know You're a Veg*an Now When...

it takes 3 times as long to buy groceries than it did before.
Yes, but you only shop in one quarter of the store!!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.