VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I'm tired of thinking about the 80's. I was a kid of the 70's!

what do I remember?

Buying my first set of platform shoes - the camel colored, suede ones - that I thought were SO hideously ugly, but SO trendy.

Satin pants - everyone had to have a pair

rainbow suspenders - just like MORK!

Nanu, nanu (to follow a theme)

Making out to Earth Wind and Fire's "Reasons" when it had just come out.

Chicago - the original group - and "color my world"

having to learn how to use a sliderule

being amazed by the first Texas Instruments calculator.

having no: answering machine, cordless phones, call waiting

having 3 (sometimes 4) TV stations, and because I was the only kid in the house, being the one who had to get up and change the TV by hand.

8 tracks

Being so cool that I had one of those black cassette players in my room.

AM radio

The very first time that frozen yoghurt came out. It tasted like....yoghurt. No one remembers that real tast anymore. Not even yoghurt tastes like yoghurt anymore.

When the first Burger King came to my town. Up until then, it was Shoney's Big Boy or A&W drive in. McDonalds came later.

Eating every meal at home. Going out came around once or twice a month.

Being shocked and amazed that ANYONE would pay $20 to mail something overnight. FedEx had made their appearence.

Dungeons and Dragons were played by the weirdos.

Using a computer meant punch cards, and who the heck would want to mess with that when you had a slide rule at hand!

Seeing Saturday Night Fever in the theater and dying to take Hustle lessons.

Later, competing in Hustle contests on lighted floors, in platforms, satin pants and glittery tube tops.

blue eye shadow.

Lip smakers

Trolls

Pet rocks.

I could go on and on - anyone want to join me?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
"You got chocolate in my peanut butter!"

"You got peanut butter in my chocolate!"

My first bell-bottoms: they were bright orange and had pandas on them. I loved how they flapped around my feet when I walked.

Going to the skating rink and skating to disco. (I hated disco, though.)

String art!

Owls, owls, everywhere.

My brother saved his lawn-mowing money all summer for one of those Texas Instrument calculators. He was so pissed when the price dropped drastically a year or so later.

Having a crush on David Cassidy.

Scholastic Book Club. Do they still have that? I used to get so many books from them.

Holly Hobby. I hated her, but everyone seemed bent on giving me Holly Hobby stuff for my birthday and Christmas.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had forgotten about string art - how is that possible????

And remember learning how to do macrame'? So that we could make all kinds of cool bracelets? Do that and wear our patchouli oil so that we smell like the big kids.....

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EquiPro

I had forgotten about string art - how is that possible????
I found 70s string art kits on eBay! I was so amused.

Quote:

And remember learning how to do macrame'? So that we could make all kinds of cool bracelets? Do that and wear our patchouli oil so that we smell like the big kids.....
I made a couple huge macrame wall hangings. My mom still has one of them, she won't let me get rid of it...

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I had a troll doll with orange hair.. I'd cut little armholes in squares of fabric so it would have little tops to wear... then for the bottoms I'd just tie a little skirt type thing around its middle.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Hmmmm, off thetop of my head....

Blacklights

Mood lights

Disco Balls

Velvet Elvis

Funky carpets in your home

Beanbag chairs

Platform boots

Bell Bottoms

Leisure Suits

Having no: microwave or vcr

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ouu, can I play?

How about having to cram a matchbook underneath your 8 track in the machine so that it wouldn't drag?

The Shure V15 Type 4 cartridge, and how it made any turntable suddenly explode to life?

Billy Jack. "An Indian isn't afraid to die. Don't ever expect the white man to understand that".

Pong. How many weeks were spent swatting that electronic blip back and forth?

The Honda CB750 motorcycle, the baddest thing on two wheels.

Cars had 140 on the speedometer and they MEANT it.

16mm movies and those projectors with the sliding screen on a stand.

The Midnight Special.

Lee Majors running at 65 mph.

"Book him, Danno. Murder One"

Rock shows with 3 or 4 big bands, festival seating, and tickets for around $9 or $10.

"If you don't get that stuff out of my house right NOW then YOU'LL be out of my house before sundown".

Oops, perhaps the last one was unique to just me . . . .

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Coca-Cola's : "I'd like to teach the world to sing.. in perfect harmony" on that grassy hilltop.

Love American Style

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
One time at my grandparents house I found this card/discussion game from the '70s and one of the cards said "Experts think that by the year 2000, 1 in every 4 cars will have a microwave. What do you think will happen by the year 2000?"

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
M*A*S*H in it's original airing ( not reruns )

designer jeans with the stiching on the back pockets

Logan's Run

Star Wars !

Corvette Summer

Charlie's Angels (the first time around)

Farrah's hair

Tube socks

Sweat bands

The beginning of the jogging craze

pot, incense, black-lite posters

oh, yes, macrame... lots and lots of macrame

fondue pots

everything was "burnt orange" "avocado" or "harvest gold"

yep, those first digital calculators were amazing!!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WonderRandy

Farrah's hair
Oh man.. how could I forget... I have to wonder how many 12 to 15 yr old boys did NOT have that (in)famous Farrah Fawcett "red swimsuit" poster back then.

Speaking of that... the amount of dances where Led Zep's Stairway to Heaven was the last song of the night.

Stubby Beer bottles

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Bobby Sherman!!! Oh, Bobby, I loved you so much! And I was so certain that if we met, you wouldn't mind that I was only 9 years old. I know we could have made it work.

Does anybody else remember this song? (Sing along, if you do) "Julie, Julie, Julie, do you love me?"

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea - we had a house built in 1973ish. The kitchen color was golden yellow and all the appliances were either yellow or avacado. We had a very cool couch (in burnt orange) that converted into a round bed. the couch itself was sort of a half moon shaped thing. I still have that couch and I recovered it in bright aqua. It is the coolest thing, and people can't believe that it was from the 70's.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
My mom and dad had lime green shag carpet in their room and gold shag carpet in the spare room. I had light blue shag in my room!
My brothers had normal carpet.

Ugh.. and the curtains they had. I'm not ready to get into that.

Was everything really that ugly or did my mom have bad taste?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
btw, speaking of hair, I tried to do the Dorothy Hamill thing. it was a disaster. They didn't have the great styling products that we do now, and I would do the curling iron thing in the morning and by 10 it would be this flat pixie cut. Not a good thing. I was so jealous of the girls in my Jr. High who could pull off either the Dorothy Hamill or the Farrah cut. eeerrrrrrr.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts