VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K.: For those of us who are old geezers:

You remember where you were when JFK got shot. You saw Black Jack, the riderless horse, in the funeral procession, and John John saluting, all live.

You remember the building of the Berlin Wall.

You remember hearing MLK's "I have a dream" speech from something other than archival footage.

You waited by the tv to learn whether, by any miracle, Bobby Kennedy might survive the shooting.

You realized with dawning horror that Nixon was going to win the election.

You knew boys who were going off to Vietnam.

You watched live coverage of the "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind".

You remember when designer labels were only for rich society ladies.

You dreamed of one day joining the Peace Corps.

You grew up believing that anything was possible.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I remember as a young child watching the "One small step for man" on black and white television.

I also remember the news on TV about this big rock festival in New York. I never understood what it was (at the time), but remember seeing the pictures from on the news of all these people.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouu, I remember those things myself, though perhaps without the related dread over Nixon

My mother had the flu and the doctor actually came to our house to see her. I remember sitting in a chair in the room with my mom in bed and the doc sitting on the edge of her bed as we all watched Walter Cronkite announce that JKF was dead on our only tv, (black and white of course, with rabbitears) which had been moved into my parents' bedroom due to mom's illness. The doc, a real stoic sort, suddenly jumped up and said as he was leaving, "This will change history as much as anything I've ever witnessed."

What about race riots, and families banding together in their homes hunkered down like armed camps at night, fearing that their homes would be burned or looted? Those are vivid recollections of mine from back then.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, what about when the milkman came to your home every day or so and left glass bottles of milk on the porch? We even knew his name and Mom would leave him a Christmas card with a tip in it for him during the holidays . . .

·
Registered
811 Posts
I was born in '62, but had older brothers, and even though the 70's are more my scope of experience, what I remember was Greatful Dead albums all over the place and these weird druggie cartoon/comics. What were those cartoons?

Oh, and the never ending smell of incense.

·
Registered
811 Posts
THAT was it! Yup - The Furry Freak Bros. My younger older brother (probably about 13 at the end of the 60's) was a great artist, and used to doodle the freaks all of the time. Wow. What a wild memory!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I remember some of it...but I was very young, I remember the 1st moon landing but just barely, black and white TV's, I remember my mom being worried about my uncles having to go to Vietnam, yep and the milkman, race riots...yes, I remember my mom being scared for some reason. Family owed corner grocery stores...there were 3 or 4 within walking distance from my house...I used to stop for candy sometimes on my way home even from kindergarten. Of coarse we walked a lot more back then...we only had one car and dad took it to work...I usually walked to and from school from kindergarten till until high school.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I know where I probably was when JFK was shot, though I don't remember it. I was probably peeing my diaper. I was 3 months old.

I remember the Apollo missions, and the moon landings. I was going to be an astronaut. And I remember having a milkman.

My first crush was on Dick Van Dyke, but it must have been on re-runs... I just looked up some info on the show and it ended in '66.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
i still got my circa 1969 lava lamp. i remember howdy dowdy and romper room. i was in the fourth grade when jfk was asassinated. i was in the 6th grade when the fab 4 were on ed sulivan,it was right after lassie.i remember boys going to nam..wait a sec i was one of them....remember glass milk jugs,and bread came in those cellophane bags with the sticky lable that was supposed to seal it up.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hehehe--yes, the Beatles were threatening to the older generation, with their "long" hair. Now, when you see photos of the young Beatles, with their jackets and ties, they look so innocent and clean cut.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
the lyrics of this song really for myself capture what it was like to grow up in the 60's

Lyrics: Stones In The Road

by Mary Chapin Carpenter

When we were young, we pledged allegiance every morning of our lives

The classroom rang with children's voices under teacher's watchful eye

We learned about the world around us at our desks and at dinnertime

Reminded of the starving children, we cleaned our plates with guilty minds

And the stones in the road shone like diamonds in the dust

And then a voice called to us to make our way back home

When I was ten, my father held me on his shoulders above the crowd

To see a train draped in mourning pass slowly through our town

His widow kneeled with all their children at the sacred burial ground

And the TV glowed that long hot summer with all the cities burning down

And the stones in the road flew out beneath our bicycle tires

Worlds removed from all those fires as we raced each other home

And now we drink our coffee on the run, we climb that ladder rung by rung

We are the daughters and the sons, and here's the line that's missing

The starving children have been replaced by souls out on the street

We give a dollar when we pass, and hope our eyes don't meet

We pencil in, we cancel out, we crave the corner suite

We kiss your ass, we make you hold, we doctor the receipt

And the stones in the road fly out from beneath our wheels

Another day, another deal, before we get back home

And the stones in the road leave a mark from whence they came

A thousand points of light or shame, baby, I don't know

·
Registered
36 Posts
In HS in an afternoon class when JFK was killed.

Glass milk jugs

Brother and I looking for the cheapest gas we could find because of gas wars.

Could mow a lawn for a buck get a gallon of gas, quart of oil and a couple of cokes and have some change.

before 60 I think, as buddadragon stated memory goes first, seeing "sputnik" in the night sky.

beginings of Vietnam

watching the moon landing

The old 20th century tv show

Ed Sulliven, Dina Shore, Whats MY Line tv shoe, Paliden, Rifleman, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Popeye and Olive Oile

max

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by max

Ed Sulliven, Dina Shore, Whats MY Line tv shoe, Paliden, Rifleman, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Popeye and Olive Oile

max
bullwinkle and dinah shore made it into the 70's...i remember both of them. GAWD...i must be old. i can remember stuff from 60's/70's AND 80s (i was 20 in 84) yeesh...i'm a living fossil!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts