VeggieBoards banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vegan Fashion blogger
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You can be a vegan and like fashion!

Since becoming a vegan, people are usually really surprised because I don't fit into the typical 'hippie hollywood stereotype'. Has anyone else been judged for being a vegan?

Attachments

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Gorgeous outfits! I love cute (and vegan) clothes. *o*

Oh yes, most people seem curious and I answer questions as best as I can. But I've received quite a few judgmental comments as well.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
The only way I have been judged as a vegan based on appearance is that I was underweight for a number of years, so of course many people assumed that veganism contributed to this which is so far from the truth. I finally reached a normal weight range AS A VEGAN for the first time in six years last year. I was a lower weight when I was an omnivore than a vegan actually but no one judged my being an omnivore at the time as the cause or the fact that I cut out so many foods when I was an omnivore.

Even other vegans would tell me I was a bad influence because of being underweight and not healthy and fit looking at times. Maybe they didn't tell me this directly, but in vegan magazines and blogs where fitness gurus would preach that how we eat and keep fit and all that has an impact on how veganism is seen by omnivores and we have to be responsible for being as healthy as we can for the cause bla bla. I dislike this attitude that we all have to look ideal and fit a perfect fit body type and never get sick to champion the vegan cause otherwise we aren't doing it right. I think being yourself as you are no matter what size you are or how fit or unfit is a better strategy instead of trying to fit some mold. Vegans come from every background and every size, and not all of us are athletes or models or personal trainers or nutritionists nor do we need or desire to be.

In fact, my Mom was more inspired to give it a try after seeing average people with struggles just like hers on the movie "Forks Over Knives" having success or seeing average everyday people in the documentary "Peaceable Kingdom" caring about animals than reading about Brendan Brazier or Robert Cheeke or some other athlete or fitness model promising great health and so on. She was vegan for six months before gong back to eating meat but for her it is more to do with health issues (diverticulitis) and fears over nutrition than anything else for not being able to stick with it.

I have seen blogs where vegans are protesting at some animal rights event and commenters call them hypocrits for wearing leather shoes and so on. Funny thing is there are so many faux leather products nowadays you can't tell the difference but people are sure quick to point out every detail they can find to downplay veganism and justify their own habits.

·
No flesh since 99'
959 Posts
Everyone gets judged for something. I do think veganism is becoming more mainstream now and that more people who aren't especially "granola" in other aspects of their lives see the ethics, environmental and health benefits of veganism. I think it's good to see some diversity in the vegan community.

Now I am pretty much your imagined "earth muffin" vegan and I get judged from all ends;) While I am pretty "granola" with my diet and overall lifestyle, I get judged harshly by many members of the vegan community for not being a far left radical liberal in ALL my political views (like vegans are all perceived and/or expected to be). My ultra conservative, ultra Catholic, meat eating family on the other hand all think I'm a raving liberal disgrace to the family and that being a vegan is an affront to America and God. That's ok. I don't need society or a group of people (even family) to validate what I believe or who I am as a person nor do I need anyone to pressure me into changing ANY of my personal beliefs because it's only acceptable in this society to fit certain stereotypes. Thinking for yourself? Not in 2015 USA you don't! (unless you want to be judged, harshly, by everybody). I don't care to fit a stereotype though and will take the judgement, thank you very much.

·
Vegan Fashion blogger
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was the same, I have put weight on since becoming a vegan because I am far more conscious of putting the right things into my body. I think because I know that being a vegan has made me so much better I try and discard comments but its so odd that people are judgemental for us not hurting animals!

Come check out my website if you like my clothes! www.collatedstyle.com

·
Registered
290 Posts
yes, i get judged, but at my age it's in a good way because i look so much better than my SAD similar age peers.

you will have the last laugh at 50, 60, and beyond.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Since becoming a vegan, people are usually really surprised because I don't fit into the typical 'hippie hollywood stereotype'. Has anyone else been judged for being a vegan?
I am surprised people still think that way. So many vegans now. Well I can imagine a lot of the time people would not know they were looking at a Vegan. I mean most people I know don't know I am vegetarian and if I were vegan they wouldn't either. I don't advertise it. I am sure back in the 70s also there were plenty of vegans that would not fit the "hippie" profile. You can go back years before that and look up well known Vegans and see that most do not fit the hippie lifestyle or look. Whatever you call it. These days there are Vegans of all kinds. I can tell even when I visit the grocery store more ppl buying only vegan foods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts