VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went back to my hometown yesterday to be with family. I went with my dad and my beloved to a local restaurant that used to be the cat's meow. To my chagrin, the veggie burger they offered consisted of lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles and a bun.

No patty of any kind. Just bread and vegetables.

But it's a small town surrounded by farmland so I didn't bother to disabuse them of their ignorance.

That was the first restaurant I'd been to since I became a vegetarian. But on the plus side, I went to an Ethiopian restaurant I love and they had all sorts of vegetarian fare!

Long story short, do you guys and gals run into that problem, where restaurants don't have much vegetarian food, or none at all? Am I just damned by living in the buckle of the bible belt?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Yes you are doomed!
Every big city I've been to has at least a couple very good veg*n restaurants. Some have so many I could go to a different one every day. I'm loving the options in Montreal, having just moved there. Las Vegas wasn't bad either. NYC was amazing. But until I get my work permit for Canada I'm still driving across the border to Plattsburgh, NY to work, and like any small town, it's restaurant selection is severely lacking.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I live in a tiny town in central ohio and even the little family-owned restaurant here has a veggie burger, complete with a patty. So yes, you may be doomed. LOL I can't imagine it would be hard for restaurants to keep veggie burgers on their menu. They come FROZEN so it's not like they'll be going bad every other week if people don't order them much. Oh well. You could always suggest to them that they add a couple of vegetarian items. There are some restaurants I end up at that all I can find is a side salad and french fries. Kind of makes for a blah eating experience. But I know, I know it's about the *company*, not the food.

·
Registered
824 Posts
LOL "buckle of the bible belt".....yea probably
I grew up 40 minutes outside of NYC so I never realized what a desolate hell pit the rest of the country was.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I live in central Florida in a city of 85,000 with no veg options, though I can get a cheeseless vegan pizza from Papa Johns. TBF I only have to drive a few miles to the next town to get a few big chain restaurants that offer a few veggie options. AND if I want to travel the 30 miles or so into Orlando... veg heaven there.

Back home in the midwest farming country... not so lucky... I doubt I could find much there but I haven't been there since changing my lifestyle.
And whoever heard of a veggie burger with no burger???

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I went to this little diner in rural Michigan last weekend. The only vegetarian option was an egg salad sandwich

My mom said she was going to order the veggie burger, but I semi-jokingly told her that it was probably just a regular burger with lettuce/tomato on it
I guarantee these people don't even know what it means to be vegan

Now I wonder what they would have brought out! Even if it truly was a veggie burger, I am sure it would have been cross contaminated

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmr4815 View Post

I went to an Ethiopian restaurant I love and they had all sorts of vegetarian fare!
Ethiopian places are usually good for veggie food.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
A "veggie burger" without an actual burger is truly bizarre. Most chain restaurants that offer a veggieburger know what it means - an actual patty between two pieces of bread. It may be vegetarian and not vegan, but at least it's a choice for those who want it. Sometimes the other choice is pasta.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2steps View Post

I've often found places don't have much veggie food and when they do it is almost always pasta based
I positively deplore pasta based food. Generic Italian is only a few notches below war and dumb people on my list o' hates.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:

i positively deplore pasta based food. Generic italian is only a few notches below war and dumb people on my list o' hates.
lmao

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:

I positively deplore pasta based food. Generic Italian is only a few notches below war and dumb people on my list o' hates.
why?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live in northern Kansas. Most people around here hardly know what a vegetarian is, let alone a vegan. The closest option to vegan in the nearest town to me is a chef salad without eggs, cheese, ham, bacon, or the dressing. (Has anchovies in it.)

I seriously don't know if there's even a vegan restaurant in Kansas, except maybe the big cities like Wichita and Kansas City. But those are six hours away from here.

I'm jealous of all you people around New York City, Miama, and the Californian cities. Me is JEALOUS!!!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I ordered some of the cards too. I was very disappointed when Ruby Tuesdays changed their veggie burger to some concoction with feta cheese in it.... That was the one local chain restaurant where I could get a decent meal other than just the salad bar.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
there is one vegetarian restaurant that i know of in my area. i believe its all veg chinese food and very high calorie so thats a no for me...maybe ill treat myself on my birthday

1 - 20 of 55 Posts