VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
All Yogi Teas are fair trade, organic, and and far as I've ever seen are completely vegan!
They're all just herbs, spices, and sometimes real tea.
I love Yogi Teas and got a case of assorted Cold Season last year. I still have a box left for this season. Very soothing and tasty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ty, But i believe i'm being an idiot and doubting the natural licorice flavor, I'm guessing its vegetarian then?
Yep. Licorice flavor is extracted from the root of a plant, so it's vegetarian. Licorice flavored candies, however, sometimes contain gelatin as a binding agent and to make them chewy. A lot of people (at least in my area) use the term "licorice" to describe the candy, not the root, so that may be what confused you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yep. Licorice flavor is extracted from the root of a plant, so it's vegetarian. Licorice flavored candies, however, sometimes contain gelatin as a binding agent and to make them chewy. A lot of people (at least in my area) use the term "licorice" to describe the candy, not the root, so that may be what confused you.
If that's true, then why are these things listed as "natural [...] flavor"? As far as I'm aware, "natural flavor" is basically a synonym for "artificial flavor".

·
Registered
16 Posts
If that's true, then why are these things listed as "natural [...] flavor"? As far as I'm aware, "natural flavor" is basically a synonym for "artificial flavor".
Huh. That's a good point, that "natural licorice flavor" wouldn't be listed if it was actual licorice extract but from other sources in order to give the taste of licorice. As far as I'm aware, anise, star anise, and fennel are usually used to successfully imitate licorice flavor, though there may be other substances used. Would any of them be of animal origin? The only times I considered the term "natural [x] flavor" to be suspect were when I was looking at savory foods.

Since the nutrition facts do not elaborate on the source, maybe it'd be best if you (madison) contacted the company to be 100% sure.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
What are "natural flavors"?
According to our research department, the exact definition of natural flavorings and flavors from Title 21, Section 101, part 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations is as follows:
"The term natural flavor or natural flavoring means the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional."

Taken from:
http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/faqingredients.htm#natural

I quarentee Yogi Teas are vegan, but send an email.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts