VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - just wanted to ask some advice about whether I should start yoga or not.

I get £40 disposable income per week (I'm in college, but part time work & pocket money for helping out around the house), and I was thinking of starting a Hatha Fusion yoga class for ten pounds per week.

However, I'm saving up for an alienware laptop, so it would have to be worth it as if I do the class it will take longer to save for the laptop. I can't try the yoga class, I have to book 6 lessons. What do you think I should do??

·
Registered
319 Posts
Why do you need an alien ware laptop? There are cheaper net book options that would do almost anything you need them to do.

Also, why are you interested in pursuing yoga?

The motivations for each are very important to consider.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I love yoga, but it's up to you whether you want to invest in it. You could try a couple of video classes (download or there might be some on youtube) to see if you can feel the benefits. Or see if another studio will let you just do 1 class. Here, most studios have an intro week rate which gives you unlimited classes for a week, or a month for really cheap.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vepurusg View Post

Why do you need an alien ware laptop? There are cheaper net book options that would do almost anything you need them to do.

Also, why are you interested in pursuing yoga?

The motivations for each are very important to consider.
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I'm saving up for the alienware as I'm very into gaming and I wanted to 'splurge' on one of the best gaming laptops out there, also my current laptop is falling to bits, I /think/ by the time I've saved up for it my current laptop will have packed itself in.

Yoga - I currently do things like running and circuits, which are quite hard work as I push myself hard, I also don't do it in a class. I think it'd be nice to try a relaxing/'spiritual' exercise with the guidance of an instructor.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'd say get a net book, and a small, portable tower for gaming (there are some little larger than a toaster). It's not actually all that useful to be able to run next gen games when you aren't at home.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Typing this, actually, I've found myself defending the laptop in my head (I've already saved up £300 towards it), so sorry for the waste of time. :p It's like when you flip a coin for something, it turns out on the 'wrong option', so you do 'best out of three'...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I stand by doing online classes anyway. Free and still good for you. You can watch them on your alienware

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

I stand by doing online classes anyway. Free and still good for you. You can watch them on your alienware
Thanks, I reckon that's what I'm gonna do.
I'm just scared I'll get the moves wrong without noticing?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
For the most part, if it feels good, you're doing it right
You could do it in front of a mirror for a while to see that it looks right.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vepurusg View Post

I'd say get a net book, and a small, portable tower for gaming (there are some little larger than a toaster). It's not actually all that useful to be able to run next gen games when you aren't at home.
I think what's useful about a gaming laptop is that you can move it around your house easily. My friend who had an Alienware laptop could play in his bedroom, at his desk, and on a couch with a small table. I don't think he ever left his house with it

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I think what's useful about a gaming laptop is that you can move it around your house easily. My friend who had an Alienware laptop could play in his bedroom, at his desk, and on a couch with a small table. I don't think he ever left his house with it
It cuts both ways, because having that kind of flexibility is only asking for orientations that demand bad posture.
All the more need for yoga.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I started yoga over 10 years ago by buying a vhs, then dvds. If you listen to your body and focus on deeper breathing instead of deeper posture, you're less likely to hurt yourself and I've never hurt myself. I have only taken a couple yoga classes in all my years and am fine with it. If you have medical issues, then consult a teacher. I have arthritis and still am good. As for your bad ass computer, if you're a broke college kid maybe its not the best time to splurge that big? That's a lot of dollars.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Yoga Benefits:

Yoga brings flexibility in your body,
Yoga stable autonomic nervous system balance
Yoga reduce high blood pressure,
Yoga improve the mood and the subjective well being,
yoga reduced cholesterol level....

·
Registered
24 Posts
yoga classes can be great depending on the teacher but if money is tight i really wouldn't waste it on a class

You can learn all you need to know from your own body/mind and the interwebz. Lots of videos up these days that help

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post

yoga classes can be great depending on the teacher but if money is tight i really wouldn't waste it on a class

You can learn all you need to know from your own body/mind and the interwebz. Lots of videos up these days that help
I agree.
The quality of some of the online yoga is amazingly good. I have taken a lot of yoga classes, but I find myself practicing more at home now. Part of it is that I made a nice little area for yoga and meditation in the house, so I enjoy being there now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love yoga and have done it for years with no classes what so ever. I just wanted to echo what some have already posted, if you want invest in a good dvd or something. Here is a great website with free yoga classes on it.

http://www.doyogawithme.com/

I am not a spammer, just trying to help a college person out. I never have paid a lot for yoga and I have been a practicing yoga for a decade now.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have a Toshiba laptop and its 2 years old and still plays new games. I didnt get an alienware as I wanted something streamlined and everything out at that time was bulky (as is their signature style). plus I do think you pay for the brand (plus theyre owned by dell now!). Maybe research other (cheaper) brands, you may still find what you want. IF I won the lottery I'd buy an alienware though haha.

Anyways, £60 worth of lessons isnt really going to affect your savings of £1000+ is it? Only a small setback! Id just go for it. I want yoga lessons too, this thread has prompted me to get on google.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Going to a class is important. I was practicing yoga on my own using dvd's and books and when i went to my first class I was constantly being corrected by the teacher because I had bad form in a lot of the postures. You will not know this unless you work with a teacher and bad form is hard to correct when you've been doing it wrong for a long time. Go to at least one class to start with and then later on down the road just to make sure you are still doing it right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I see this is a really old thread, but genuine yoga studios usually have the spirit of making yoga accessible to everyone. Some have karma yoga programs, where you do a little bit of helping out in exchange for free lessons. I've been doing this at my studio, so for me, I do some flower arranging, plant watering, and mat cleaning, which takes me about 2-3 hours per week, and then my lessons are free. Which is perfect for me, as my options are basically housewife or work menial jobs until my Dutch is fluent (and thankfully it's almost there, I'm American but moved to Holland to be with my husband).

Anyway, don't be afraid to ask yoga studios in your area, and good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
As mentioned above most studios will take "interns" who clean, check ppl in etc in exchange for free classes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts