VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This series helps with gas, constipation, or related problems with elimination. All of the movements are first-trimester prenatal appropriate, and where there is an indication of a 'prenatal modification,' this refers to the second and third trimester modifications.

Warm-up

Salambha Uttanasana (modified forward bend)

Begin in supported forward bend. stand with feet hip distance apart, bend your knees and bring the chest to the thighs. take a number of deep breaths here and then stretch each leg individually by bending one deeper and gently straightening the other leg as much as you can--alternating legs for a few breaths.

Practice: Fierce Mala Sequence

this sequence is repeated three times. if you cannot do it three times the first time, that is ok. just work up to it!

From Salambha Uttanasana, separate the legs a little wider apart--just slightly wider than hips (instep of the foot should align with the outter edge of your hips--this is not as wide as your mat, in general!). this is neither uttanasana nor prasarita paddotanasana or wide leg forward bend. it is simply a forward bend that sets up for the next sequence--so i typically call it "modified uttanasana" just as the previous pose. hang in this wider version of Salambha Uttanasana for 5 breaths.

Salambha Ardha Utkatasana (modified half fierce pose)

Bend your knees so that your thighs are parallel to the floor. You want to send your hips far enough back that your knees are over your ankles and heels--not over your toes. hands stay on the floor (or on fingertips or on blocks) as you lift your chest and tailbone coming to a flat back. gaze moves forward. Hold this position for 5 breaths.

Salambha Ardha Malasana (modified half mala pose)

from salambha ardha utkatasana, bend the knees deeply bringint the hips toward the floor--it looks like a frog. Try to keep your heels down, but it's ok to modify more and lift the heels from the floor. Make certain that your knees and inner thighs are moving outward, not collapsing inward. this is safest for the knees. Bring your hands to heart center and lift your chest--flattening out your back. maintain this posture for 5 breaths.

Parivrttra Salambha Ardha Malasana (revolving modified malasana)

bring your hands to the floor in front of you, lifting your chest to a flat back. reaching as far forward as you can with the left, lift your right hand and reach behind you as far as you can, coming into a spinal twist while in salambha ardha malasana. keep the hips square and the knees in the original position. the twist should be from the navel up. HOld this side for 5 breaths, then switch sides.

after returning to Salambha Ardha Malasana, move back into Salambha Ardha Utkatasana, and then into Salambha Uttanasana. Begin the sequence again from here. Remember, work up to completing three repititions of this sequence!

Practice: Cats and Dogs

This practice is done just once.

Beginning in Salambha Uttanasana, move to Adho Muka Svanasana.

Adho Muka Svanasana (downward facing dog)

This downward dog will be done with a few more movements--an extention of the posture and a drawing in with a rounding of the back as in cat-stretch. this helps work the abdominals and relieves pressure on the area.

Beginning in downward dog, take the right leg up in the air behind you for extended downward dog (uttitha adho muka svanasana). This is your "inhale" position.

As you exhale, draw the knee in toward your chest, bring your forehead toward your knee until the head and knee touch (or as close as you can get). round the back and 'crunch' the belly in as much as you can. Repeat this sequence 5 times. Then switch sides.

***prenatal modification: instead of bringing knee to forehead, bring the knee toward the right elbow--along the outside of the body.***

Practice: Land and Sea

Repeat this sequence three times.

From downward dog, walk or jump the feet forward and come to a seated position.

Salambha Navasana (modified boat pose)

Bend your knees bringing your feet to the floor. lift the chest and sacrum so that you are resting on the "sits" bones and not on the tailbone. Draw the belly inward for support.

Lift your feet off the floor (knees bent is a good modification) supporting yourself with your hands slightly behind your hips. If you feel up to it, lift your hands and reach toward your toes. Keep chest lifting and maintain the balance for 5 breaths.

Salambha Purvottanasana (modified intense east stretch; "bench pose")

From Navasana, bring the feet to the floor hip distance apart. bring your hands behind you about 8 to 10 inches with fingertips pointing toward the toes. Lift your hips off the floor, creating a flat torso and thighs, and relax your head back (looking behind you). It looks like a bench. Hold this posture for 5 breaths.

Closing

From Bench Pose, lay down on your back.

Supta Balasana (reclining baby/child's pose)

bring your knees into your chest, and then grab the instep of each foot. your arms should be on the insides or between, your legs. open the legs bringing a knee on either side of the rib cage and open your feet toward the ceiling--legs make a 90 degree angle. Press hips and shoulders into the floor. Hold this for 5 breaths. If you'd like, rock side to side and massage your back while in this posture.

Pavana Muktasana (wind liberating pose)

From supta balasana, bring the knees into the chest, flattening the back into the floor. extend the right leg, drawing the knee into the chest and bringing the forehead to the knee. the neck and shoulders will lift off the floor.

hold each side for 5 breaths.

***prenatal modification: draw the knee along the outside of the rib cage, rather than in the center of the chest--and then bring the head toward the knee***

Salambha Jathara Parivartanasana (modified stomach rolling pose)

once you have completed pavana muktasana, take your arms out to your sides, left and right. press the palms into the floor. roll the knees toward the right, looking over your left shoulder--if possible roll onto the right hip and keep the knees even. hold for 5 breaths, return to center, and repeat on the other side.

***prenatal modification: from the knees in the chest, bring the feet to the floor and slide the feet to the side edges of the mat (knees bend--left foot on left edge of mat, right foot on right edge). Roll the knees right and left as you would in the 'regular' version of the pose. you'll feel more of a stretch across the hip flexor, but it still works the belly appropriately without affecting the growing 'bebe belly.' if this modification hruts your knees, move your feet further forward (away from the body) or further back (closer to the body) until you can do the pose without any tension or 'feeling' in the knees.

Savasana (corpse pose)

after completing the final posture, come into corpse pose for rest. Lay on your back, arms extended along your sides, legs extended long--resting for about 5 mintues.

***prenatal modification: lay on your side, as comfortable.*

·
Banned
1 Posts
I've started doing yoga, and i'm still a little stiff for some poses...
So I've been wondering, for example, whenever you have to straighten your legs and bend to reach to the floor with your palms, would it be better to place the palms on the mat and bend your legs a little and try to stretch them out, or would it be better to not place your palms on the mat but keep your legs straight?
The instructors always emphasize the importance of your palms on the mat, but they say it's also essential that your legs are straight... So I'm a little confused, what is better for yoga?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flooreyoga View Post

I've started doing yoga, and i'm still a little stiff for some poses...
So I've been wondering, for example, whenever you have to straighten your legs and bend to reach to the floor with your palms, would it be better to place the palms on the mat and bend your legs a little and try to stretch them out, or would it be better to not place your palms on the mat but keep your legs straight?
The instructors always emphasize the importance of your palms on the mat, but they say it's also essential that your legs are straight... So I'm a little confused, what is better for yoga?
Hmm seems kinda spammy but I'll answer just in case

You can do both. Either bend your knees w palms on the floor or straighten w/o palms touching floor. Never force a pose

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Sorry yoga wasn't a solution for elimination for me.
[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]I'm still full of ****!
[/SPOILER]
LOL.....good one

Peace

1 - 5 of 5 Posts