VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I've been searching for good, active Vegan/Vegetarian forum communities for a few days now, and this seems to be a good place to settle down. Yay!

I've veryrecently become a vegan, the last time I had meat was Tuesday (nasty pepperoni, gasp.) and the last time I had dairy was last night (Dove bar, OH GASP!!). But now, I promise myself, I'll be a good little vegan and refrain. :]

I realize it's a huge leap going from twice-a-day-meat-eater to >POOF!< Vegan, and I know I could of at least became a Vegetarian first to get used to it, but I figured if I could get over the first 30 days I'll be golden. Plus, I hate eggs anyway. Skim milk (and Dove bars, :\\) is my only painful vice. Although I've found Chocolate Silk tastes JUST like skim milk with Ovaltine in it!! I just need to break my addictions. That is all.

So, well! About myself. I'm a 20yr old gal from the wonderful world of upstate New York. (A place where rouge cows, goats and llamas pose as road hazards.)

I'm finding it very easy to eat Vegan, what with this HUGE internet giving me awesome recipes and forums like this! But I have to say, I hate tofu and fake meat. Texture is very important to me and those are just way too ewww.

I've been surviving on fruit smoothies for breakfast, veggie sammich wraps (with awesome garlic hummus I made!!!) for lunch and whateverIcanfind for dinner. I can't wait to try the recipes I've found, like lasagna and stuff, but I'm just not a dinner eating person.

Luckily for me, my parents have been very supportive and got me a (slightly used) Magic Bullet food processor, and a food dehydrator.

I have some bones to pick over the Magic bullet but that's for another time and place...

The reason I became Vegan is, outright, I don't want to eat all the crap they pump into the animal like hormones and antibiotics (not to mention the sanitary issues and all the corruption in the industry). Second to that, I don't want to eat animal meat that suffered a horrible life.

What I don't believe, is by my abstinence from meat I can make a difference in the industry. No defiantly not... it's truly sad. Animals will still be raised, slaughtered and butchered if I eat them or not. I just don't want any part in it.

But why not vegetarian? I think of it this way: if I drink milk I'm supporting, first, the suffering of cows and secondly, the Veal industry. Plus, babies drink milk. Not I. I can get my calcium elsewhere.

And eggs? I hate eggs anyway unless they are in my brownies/other baked goods. I have a family friend who owns an egg farm with 15 or so free-range chickens anyway, so if I am in dire need of an egg or two, I'll hop over there and bother them (I don't find that cruel, either. Those chickens are damned happy, they enjoy chasing the dogs around the driveway.)

What I'm finding hard is buying organic. I live on my own with my (extremely carnivorous) boyfriend and organics are so expensive! I worry about pesticides and whatever but I just have to deal with it. I wash my food very well. I guess nothing can be perfect, eh?

Anyway. I always do this, I make my "hello" post long. Sorry! I apologize! I just like talking!

Glad to be here. :]

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Welcome to VeggieBoards! It is a big leap foward straight from omni to veganism, as it took me about a week to adjust. And btw veganism does indeed help to stop the slaughter of animals. One less person eating meat=lower demand= fewer animals being slaughtered. According to PETA, a vegetarian will (indirectly) save ninety-six animals per year from slaughter. You can make this number much higher by spreading awareness of the meat industry and the cruelty associated with it, which will hopefully make others go vegan, thus another 96 animals/year saved, etc. Remember you are actually stopping the meat industry and congrats on your diet!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.