VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, maybe it's just me but my pancakes will NOT turn out right. No matter how long I cook them, they will not get done in the middle. The first time I tried I didn't use a recipe, I just winged it so I thought that might be the problem. I tried again this weekend using the banana pancake recipe in "How it All Vegan," and they turned out the same
. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong

-Journey The Poet

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
How thick was the batter? I find that if the batter's too thick then the pancakes turn out thick and they take longer to cook. (Add more water or soymilk if this is the problem.)

Also, did you preheat the pan? It should be good and hot before you put the pancake batter in.

I hope that helps

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The batter wasn't real thick; I could pour it. The pan was hot and I even covered it pan for two batches. Then I tried two batches uncovered to see if that would matter. It didn't. Thanks for the suggestions CookingVeg.

·
Registered
755 Posts
maybe you can turn down the heat a little after pouring the batter so that you can cook it a little longer without buring the pancakes?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Make sure that the batter spreads evenly, and it doesn't pile up in the middle.

But yeah, my pancakes always come out mushy inside ... but I like 'em that way (As I like to say...nice, juicy pancakes!)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Heat for pancakes needs to be nice and low. Give the pancakes a chance to go golden brown on one side (it's okay to peek!), then flip 'em over. Repeat, then eat!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys (and gals). I....won't....give...up...will...make...perfect... vegan...pancakes!!!

-Journey The Poet

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
pancake tips and tricks:

pan should be hot enough to cause water droplets to "dance" over it's surface before you pour the batter in.

only use 1/4 to 1/3 cup of batter per cake.

let the cake cook on the first side until the entire top is covered in bubbles and the edges are very dry looking.

only flip a pancake once during cooking.

don't press down on the pancake while it is cooking.

my vegan pancakes turn out nice and fluffy every time. i use the recipe at http://www.veganmania.com (in the breakfasts section).

·
Registered
177 Posts
What is your recipe for the pancakes? My vegan pancakes are always perfect. They tast like a normal pancake.

I have almost the whole time the heat turned up to highest level. Only in the beginning I have it low. At that time I put some oil in the pan and when the oil is getting hot I put the batter in the pan.

Turn up the heat after a while and wait. Then look if it is good at the bottom and then flip the pancake and bake it at the other side.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Hmm... It's been the exact opposite for me. I could never make pancakes right before going vegan, but then when I started making vegan pancakes, it worked for me!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I can barely cook to save my life, but my pancakes come out pretty good. I just use Bisquick mix and veganize it, using Ener-G egg replacer and rice milk. As long as the batter is a little on the thin side, I haven't had a problem with the middle cooking through.

·
Registered
469 Posts
really? i love that recipe. Maybe your stove isn't hot enough? i know they suggest using a lid so it cooks in the middle. I've never had a problem.

edited because of nonsense-icle typing due to lack of sleep.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I just made the BEST pancakes Sunday morning. I couldn't stop talking about them all day. I've never been able to make a good pancake, vegan or not (boxed mix or from scratch). The recipe is from "The Compassionate Cook" - the PETA Cookbook. I didn't follow the recipe exactly but they still turned out like restaurant quality!

PANCAKES

1 cup unbleached all purpose flour (I used 1 cup W.W. pastry flour)

1 Tablespoon sugar (I used sucanant)

2 Tablespoons baking powder (this seemed like a lot to me, so I used 1.5 Tablespoons instead)

1/8 tsp. salt

1 cup soy milk

2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Mix in the soy milk and oil, and with an electric mixer or wire whisk, beat just until the batter is smooth.

Measure 1/3 cup batter onto a hot, oiled griddle. When bubbles appear on the upper surface of the pancake, in about 2 minutes, lift with a spatula and flip the pancake. Cook the pancake for another 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and keep warm whijle you make remaining pancakes. Serve warm with maple syrup or fruit syrup.

Makes 6 to 8 pancakes

Just a note:

As I was making my batter, it started to rise up to the top edge of the bowl, so be sure to use a large bowl. If you use a small bowl, it may rise up and bubble over the edge!

Please let me know if you try this recipe! It's so easy, fast, and heavenly. Pure comfort food!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
By the way, I used Edensoy milk. It seems like the thickest soy milk to me, so they turned out so much like buttermilk pancakes.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
oops, I also forgot to mention that the recipe states that you could add bits of fresh or dried fruit, nuts or chocolate chips to the recipe. I can hardly wait to try this idea!

·
Registered
177 Posts
You can also do some vanilla (sugar) in it. My recipe is:

500 gr pancake mix (or whole-wheat meal/flour)

1litre soya-milk

maybe about 3 or 4 spoons of vanillasugar

little bit salt

some oil

mix the vanilla with the pancake mix and the salt too. Put a little bit oil with the mix. Then mix the milk with it.

Some oil in the pan. Then the batter in it.

Wait for a while, then look at the bottomside of the pancake if it is turned a little bit goldbrown. (this is in about 1 minute with the heat on the highest level.). Turn the pancake. And then wait again until it is baked goldbrown.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts