VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone not sure what made me decide to go veggie but this past week I have had no desire for any meat whatsoever and the thought of it is just turning my tummy! (no I am not pregnant either LOL). Anyway I adore all the fake meats out there and pretty much have been eating those over real meat for over a year (but of course have had meat as well).

I admit my first choice is to do it for health reasons but I am thinking of the animals too. I watched an episode of The F Word (chef Gordon from Hells Kitchen show that is on over here in UK that focused just on the chef and his family etc...) well anyway one of the episodes they showed the slaughter of his two pigs he raised....although they were raised like kings and supposedly slaughtered in the most humane way possible (that seems like an oxymoron) it was really hard for me to watch and instantly turned me off bacon which I seriously ADORED before....

Anywhooooo I am just starting to dapple into cooking more veggie friendly meals and hopefully my hubby will enjoy some of them (I know he won't give up his occasional meat but that is on him) and my daughter too. I bought the Garden of Vegan and How it all Vegan cookbooks and have tons of sites bookmarked....

So as of right now I will start out as a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian and see how it goes from there...not sure I will ever make the leap to full on vegan as I just don't think I can say goodbye to my beloved cheese....but I will never say never

Anyways I am happy to have some message boards to make new friends and get more informed.

Steph

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Pear girl..it's a temporary thing for Halloween, so it shouldn't be around so much longer.

Welcome to VB!

Congratulations on your choice to become vegetarian, and yeah..cheese is hard.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Welcome to VB!

(yeah, I didn't like the dark background, either).

1. Check out the Vegan Discussion forum. You'll find a thread on Weaning Off Dairy. If you're interested in making the transition to veganism, you'll find support in that thread.

2. If you'd like your daughter to be veggie also, check out the Raising Vegetarian Children forum. You'll find lots of good information and support (very important in a meat-eating society!) there. (You didn't say how old your daughter is, so I'm taking a giant leap in assuming she's young and still at home).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Amy! Not ready to wean off the dairy yet...I can get off milk easy since I hate it and always choose soy milk over it but it's the cheese thing I cannot let go of quite yet ha ha....

My daughter is 4 but goes to school full day. All the kid lives on is pb and bread , yogurt,and cheerios for most part anyways so she is not hard to convert LOL. Of course she loves the McD's horrid chicken nuggets but she only gets those maybe once a month. We have been trying to get her into fruits and veggies since she was a baby but there is no changing her attitude still.

We let her help her cook all the time (my husband is especially good and even lets her peel carrots etc...) but she still won't give them a whirl ha ha. I think it is out of pure stubborness at this stage and our doc said she is doing just fine on her pb, cheerio, and yogurt diet LOL.

I will pop over there though! Thanks again all for the welcomes!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pear_girl View Post

HI everyone not sure what made me decide to go veggie but this past week I have had no desire for any meat whatsoever and the thought of it is just turning my tummy! ...

I admit my first choice is to do it for health reasons but I am thinking of the animals too. ...

Anyways I am happy to have some message boards to make new friends and get more informed.

Steph
Hi pear girl!
welcome aboard

I have got to jump in here. if you're looking for any reasons to go towards more plants, my page might be something you'd like to see. (and welcome to read since you're already veg right now) it's all peaceful and easy to read, and should give you some reasons to value veg even more

http://www.helpusall.com/foodsummary.html

nice to have a UK'er here

Jon

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the welcomes. LOL about the black background I have bad eyes and I take 5 online college courses so I think my poor eyeballs just cannot handle so much staring at the screen in general (maybe it's a clue to stop being at the computer so much ha ha!).

I will check out your page JonJan thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts