VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't usually like intro threads, but they seem to be the norm around here so...

Hello everyone. I've been a vegetarian (lacto ovo) for 5 years, but have recently decided to go vegan. I've been taking notice of my dairy/egg/honey intake for the past few weeks and discovered that I've actually been extremely close to being vegan (I would go whole days being vegan without consciously trying). So today's my first *official* day as a vegan, but I think I've been vegan for a few days now...

Some of you might notice that today also happens to be the first day of Lent, and yes, I'm using it as my excuse to finally make it official. My mother's been very supportive of my vegetarianism, but she hates the idea of me being vegan. She thinks it'll be a burden on her, even though I'm 17 and cook for myself anyway. I'm telling her it's for Lent, but I do plan on maintaining it after.

So anyway, that's my story. I hope to make a few friends here, seeing as I don't have many vegetarian friends and don't know any vegans in real life (other than this stupid girl who calls herself vegan but who's always eating Altoids (gelatin)).

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Welcome to VB!
You'll find plenty of support for your veganism around here.

As for the girl who calls herself vegan but eats Altoids, perhaps she doesn't know about the gelatin, or know where gelatin comes from. Perhaps you should give her the goods on gelatin (but gently!).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eh, maybe I'll bring it up next time. Mostly I'm just frustrated with the amount of people I know who call themselves vegetarian but eat chicken and stuff. Maybe I sound terribly pretentious right now, but it just really bothers me. In the past, when I've tried correcting people nicely, they just get defensive and try to argue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congrats on your decision, and good luck. I'll be celebrating my 1-year vegan anniversary in a month or so...

It sounds like you are already doing well as a vegan-if you want any advice I just posted a long-winded reply to the "vegetarian switching to vegan" post (also in the intro section). I hope you find some of it helpful.

Go you!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Welcome!! Congratulations on going vegan! =] Hopefully your mom will get more comfortable with the idea of veganism after you show her you can be happy and healthy with a vegan diet. Also, maybe some of your friends will be inspired by you and make the switch to veg*ism as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I feel great since going vegan. Even my mom has noticed that I've been eating healthier, so I think she's becoming more okay with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts