VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure this deserves its own thread, but ... As you may have seen in the "Stupid things omnivores say" thread, I recently came up against the accusation that eating yeast (e.g. bread) is not vegan. From everything I've seen here on VB, it is considered vegan. Any additional thoughts from anyone?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Yes. Silly

Even if you draw the line for vegainsm at the biologist's definition of animals.

Yeast is a fungus. Not an animal, not a plant. For some it's a plant. I have not ever heard yeast getting referred to as animals by any scientist.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I read your other post.

It sounds just like something my boyfriend said to be a few weeks back (although he isn't into healthfood at ALL). He said that yeast is a once celled ORGANSIM which must make it a living animal of some sort. I got kind of defensive but I wasn't sure what to say about it considering I'd never even concieved of the fact that my bread may have caused suffering.

I just told him that I don't know of a single Vegan that avoids bread for that reason- so I was sure that if I had a chance to talk to another one about the issue I'm sure they'd have a logical explanation. Maybe yeast doesn't feel pain? I don't know- does it have a neverous system? I have no clue.

I should definetly do some research, today.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stellar26

I'd never even concieved of the fact that my bread may have caused suffering.
LOL
!

Yeah well you may find it difficult to find nerve cells in a single celled organism.

BTW do nerve cells feel pain?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yeh well if you went that far, you wouldnt wash yourself for fear of a microscopic organism falling down the drain, you wouldnt bleach the toilet to keep it clean, you wouldnt 'zap' nits/headlice with combs or formulas, you wouldnt walk around for fear of squashing bacteria under your feet.

Hmmm... fun

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
" eating yeast (e.g. bread) is not vegan. "

--------------------

yeast is vegan ............. but all those tiny insect bits in bread aren't .... but who can be 100% pure vegan ;-) ...hehe

·
Registered
0 Posts
insect bits in bread?!?! ahh I'll be checking all my bread now!

do any breads have egg in them?? i'm always afraid of what i buy from the bakery

·
Registered
892 Posts
i used yeast the other day and I must admit I did feel a little guilty because you can see them jumping around. If they jump, they must be alive is what I was thinking. I still ate it, but there was a flash of guilt.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
"do any breads have egg in them??"

they would say .... some have milk derivatives (like that sterol lactylate

and insect bits are inevitable (IMHO) and wouldn't be visible (part of the flour )

----------------------

"i used yeast the other day and I must admit I did feel a little guilty because you can see them jumping around."

--------------------------

Are you kidding ... that sounds odd, I've never heard of that :O

·
Registered
0 Posts
good grief people yeast is kinda a plant, arguably a fungus, probably has a different phylum if u wanna get really techy...

doesn't matter - i find it unlikely that yeast can have fun, and so i can't really imagine it suffering

after all, that's what it's all about surely?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rigmarole

DON'T MOVE ANYONE. YOU KILL MILLIONS OF MICROSCOPIC PEOPLE EVERY TIME YOU MOVE!!!!!!!
Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Lisa creates an entire civilization in a petri dish!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts