VeggieBoards banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selke View Post

Yes. 1 pound = 1 pound. They just have different density. Fat is fluffier and takes us more space. Muscle is compact and takes up less space.

1 pound of feathers will take up far more space than 1 pound of potatoes. (Think how many thousands of feathers it would take to make up one pound, but 1-2 potatoes is a pound.)
Why is weight the default unit for expressing the quanitity of two things that you are comparing the weight of? That is stupid and circular isn't it? When someone says fat weighs less than muscle they mean comparable volumes of each. If that weren't true we would never compare the weight of two things.

Why attempt to neuter the language because you want to make some vapid point about the density of fat and muscle that everyone understands anyway?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Why is weight the default unit for expressing the quanitity of two things that you are comparing the weight of? That is stupid and circular isn't it? When someone says fat weighs less than muscle they mean comparable volumes of each. If that weren't true we would never compare the weight of two things.

Why attempt to neuter the language because you want to make some vapid point about the density of fat and muscle that everyone understands anyway?
I have an English degree. That's what I do. Sorry. I'm specific when it comes to language. It was not "vapid." It was accurate. And a LOT of people do not realize they are comparing comprable volumes, so how am I to know that everyone understands the principle anyway? I don't make assumptions about people- I listen/read their words. People with English degrees do that and personal trainers get sick of this line of "muscle weighs more than fat." It doesn't and no, most people do NOT understand that principle at all. On top of that, I wrote about much more than just that.

Why the attack? Like I said, I was just trying to help. I'll just go screw off. No need to be an ******* about it.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selke View Post

I have an English degree. That's what I do. Sorry. I'm specific when it comes to language. It was not "vapid." It was accurate. And a LOT of people do not realize they are comparing comprable volumes, so how am I to know that everyone understands the principle anyway? I don't make assumptions about people- I listen/read their words. People with English degrees do that and personal trainers get sick of this line of "muscle weighs more than fat." It doesn't and no, most people do NOT understand that principle at all. On top of that, I wrote about much more than just that.

Why the attack? Like I said, I was just trying to help. I'll just go screw off. No need to be an ******* about it.
So you really think you are being helpful when you say "one pound of muscle weights the same as one pound of fat" well gee whiz thanks I thought one pound of muscle weighed two pounds. Where is your english degree from, Devry?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think the comments on fat/muscle/weight/volume are helpful. Someone who might be losing too fast or focusing only on what the scale says (the basic info from the original post) may be afraid to exercise appropriately. A lot of women in particular seem to be afraid of gaining muscle.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts