VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At supper today, my dad (who's basically a carnivore) made sausages and hot dogs. And guess what?! I didn't eat any! I had a hot dog bun with peanut butter lol.

I wasn't going to tell you that I had spaghetti with meat sauce
for lunch, but I guess it wouldn't be fair.

WHY CAN'T I DO IT?!?!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
You need some veggie options so that you won't be tempted to eat whatever is available. I don't know what your living situation is but if the family is eating the same thing and it has meat in it, I can see why it would be hard for you to sit there and just eat pb on a hog dog bun. I would think you need to plan ahead, buy some staples to keep in the house and hopefully cook for yourself, if you have no one to do it for you. It's easier for some than for others, depending on the situation. Don't give up!

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
You also could've had spaghetti with magarine/butter and parmesan cheese, or if it was homemade sauce, you could've taken some regular sauce out before they added the meat.

You could also have some veggie dogs/burgers for when the rest of the family cooks out.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hang in there. One meal without meat is better than two with meat. I agree with what the other posters said. Try to plan ahead and keep some veggie meal options on hand.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey there,

I believe planning is very important. I also believe that knowledge is more important that willpower.

If you want some more motivation go watch some slaughterhouse videos.

Or/And you could read some books on why not to eat meat for health reasons vs just animal reasons alone.

Educate yourself on the health aspects of this lifestyle and you will have a better chance of success. And of course plan ahead as mentioned above.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey, you'll get it eventually! I quit cold turkey, (no pun intended.. again) but some people need a little time to get used to abandoning meat. Just keep the cause in mind. And don't focus on what you CAN'T have, focus on what you can!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You'll get it! It is tough at first, especially when you have no help. It might help to offer to cook or help with cooking, so you have some sides as options, at least. Make yourself a baked potato while they grill their meat, then share the sides, etc.

It can help to go shopping with whoever gets the groceries at your house, too, so you can suggest something and say you will make/eat it yourself if they don't want it.

I bet if you sit down and talk to them and let them know you just would like more options around that you can eat, they would be open. They don't want you to be hungry.

Hang in there! And even if it is only one meal a day that you do veggie, it's a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I always ensure that there are veggie dogs/burgers in the house for when my dad bbq's... I've desensitized him to my veggie ways, so he doesn't mind substituting a meatless option for me. Maybe you could work something like that out with your parents??

Good luck
!!

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
As long as you know in your heart that you're trying your best, don't worry about it. If you slip up, don't beat yourself up and don't let anyone tell you you're a bad person for doing so. Many people don't stick to veggie diets because when they slip up, they have the attitude that it's the end of the world and they can't do it. It's possible! Just get back on the veggie wagon and go on. Have you tried the vegetarian hot dogs/sausages? Both Morningstar Farms and Boca have really good ones! Morningstar Farms has awesome veggie crumbles (replace ground beef with it). Try meatless substitutes. They're REALLY good and much better for you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts