VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love reading advice columnists, and Carolyn Hax at the Washington Post is one of my favorites. Now she is my favorite, after this week's column:

"Dear Carolyn:

My boyfriend and I will be spending Thanksgiving with his relatives. I'm a vegan, and his family is anything but. I'd like to bring a vegan dish that everyone can share, but my boyfriend says this would be "rude" and I should just eat what everyone else does. I don't want to insult his relatives, but I'd like to eat more than just a plate of cranberry sauce. What do you suggest?

M.M.
"

Carolyn: "I suggest that your boyfriend open his hand, turn his palm up, and slam it against his forehead.

"People on restricted diets, for whatever reason, can't just un-restrict them for a day -- not without risking, at minimum, great discomfort to body and principle.

"While the ideal guest takes pleasure in whatever a host cares to serve, the ideal host wants to know what guests are unable to eat. Your boyfriend needs to accept that and put you in touch with your hosts, so you can plan without making a fuss.

"Or, more bluntly: Your boyfriend needs to accept you. He knows who you are; no fair asking you to change just because he feels the need to fit in."

Source link.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
that is awesome.

i wish my in laws would figure it out. we're hosting thanksgiving this year. typically, i go to my ILs and have a meal of cranberry sauce, raw carrots, and a roll or two. this year, i'm making so much food that i can eat--so many yummy vegetarian things! it's gonna be super yummy this year!

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
That's cool.
I DON'T like the fact that she refers to a vegan diet as a "restricted" diet - IMO that's perpetuating a myth that vegans don't get enough to eat without meat in their diet - but at least she was sympathetic to the vegan.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

That's cool.
I DON'T like the fact that she refers to a vegan diet as a "restricted" diet - IMO that's perpetuating a myth that vegans don't get enough to eat without meat in their diet - but at least she was sympathetic to the vegan.
That doesn't bother me. We are restricting certain food items from our diet. I would say the same about a diabetic or or someone with a food allergy. The word "restricted" doesn't have a negative connotation for me.

I do think this is really nice. I remember a while back Ann Landers had a letter about someone refusing meat broth at a guest's house. I don't remember her response, but I do remember that a couple really haughty responses were sent in my omnis afterwords.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm lucky in that my boyf's family are really considerate and phoned up the restaurant we're going to in advance to see if they'll cater for me. They're diabetic, my boyf's a diabetic vegetarian and his sis is a pescatarian so the whole group are restricted in one way or another!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.