VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ya know. i have wanted to make something from tempeh, and what can i make with tempeh? am i spelling that right ? and do you need a period after a question mark when your done with the question?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
No - you don't need a period after a question mark

This will probably get moved to the food/recipe discussion area, but I'll answer anyway.

My favorite way to eat Tempeh is deep fried and salted (like french fries). You can alternately bread it like you would fried okra or fried zucchini.

It's also good grilled or pan fried and made into a sandwich (if you have a sharp knife and a steady hand you can slice the tempeh "width wise" to make more of a sandwich sized piece).

You can also chop it and add it to stir fries - or mix it with rice.

"The Book Of Tempeh" is a good resource. That is how I learned how to actually make Tempeh - it's fun if you are into that sort of thing (or have no actual life....like me)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
ok try this:

TEMPEH AND MUSHROOM STEW ON A MASHED POTATO BASE

from The Single Vegan by Leah Leneman (Thorsons, 1989)

Note: each recipe from this cookbook is intended as a complete meal for one person. Multiply recipe by number of guests to get correct amount.

Tempeh:

4 oz / 115g / ½ cup tempeh

1/3 cup water

1 Tbsp soy sauce

Sauce and potatoes:

1 small onion

1 small clove garlic

1 Tbsp vegetable oil

4 oz / 115g / 2 cups mushrooms

1 small tomato

1 bay leaf

1-2 tsp soy sauce

6-8 oz (170-225g) cooked potatoes plus soy milk, vegan margarine and seasoning to taste

1. Bring the water and soy sauce to the boil in a small pan, place tempeh (defrosted if frozen) in it, lower heat, cover pan and simmer for 10 minutes; turn the tempeh over and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.

2. Chop the onion and garlic and sauté in the oil for a minute or two. Slice the mushrooms, add them to the pan and cook for another minute or two.

3. Dice the tempeh. Chop the tomato. Add them to the pan, along with the bay leaf and soy sauce. Cook, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

4. Heat and mash the cooked potatoes with soy milk, margarine and seasoning to taste (or alternatively use a packet of vegan instant mashed potatoes). Make a mashed potato base, remove the bay leaf from the tempeh mixture, and pile it onto the base.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts