VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Some of you might find it a bit woah, but I've NEVER used PDF on my OWN PC...

1) most importantly, I NEED TO ENSURE: is this above "the link" to FREE and RECOMMENDED or BEST COMPARABLE LATEST download for *Free* PDF reading software????? IS THERE NOT A LITE VERSION some place else on the site?? How do I define recommended and latest would be for me, to have LITENESS and the basic PDF Reader which I suppose is what the free version offers anyway despite to me appearing big at 20.8 MB, hmmmm.

I guess not so important: BUT errrrr Whoa is the "acrobat" part Adobe has for some of its products? Just a name with no association maybe?

oh and I don't want a huge file to dowload, but the one in the link is 20.8 MB !! That not real big IS IT??? I'm not very good at gaging stuff like that....But even if it is big I no doubt I have room for it, except to ask WHY that big(?) or big-small
to quote a stupid car advert using the term

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

Is PDF quite an comprehensive application ? I guess so right??... (to repeat my opener line, some of you might find it a bit woah, but I've NEVER used PDF on my OWN PC/ and on public internet etc, with PDF I don't think I've seen the substance of the PDF program, but there is substance to it right? ....else why would it exist and be so popular AND necessary!!!)

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA~goth~UK View Post

www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Some of you might find it a bit woah, but I've NEVER used PDF on my OWN PC...

1) most importantly, I NEED TO ENSURE: is this above "the link" to FREE and RECOMMENDED or BEST COMPARABLE LATEST download for *Free* PDF reading software?????
Yes, that appears to be the link for downloading the latest version of the Adobe (Acrobat) Reader for Windows ME. If you have Windows XP, there are later versions for that, but you can't use them with ME.

Yes, it's free.

Quote:

IS THERE NOT A LITE VERSION some place else on the site?? How do I define recommended and latest would be for me, to have LITENESS and the basic PDF Reader which I suppose is what the free version offers anyway despite to me appearing big at 20.8 MB, hmmmm.

I guess not so important: BUT errrrr Whoa is the "acrobat" part Adobe has for some of its products? Just a name with no association maybe?
It's 15.9 MBs, according to the site. Yes, after v. 5, they've dropped the term "Acrobat" and have just been calling it "Adobe Reader," but it is the same program.

There is no "lite" version of the program, although there are earlier versions, which might or might fulfill your needs, yet be smaller downloads.

Quote:

Is PDF quite an comprehensive application ? I guess so right??... (to repeat my opener line, some of you might find it a bit woah, but I've NEVER used PDF on my OWN PC/ and on public internet etc, with PDF I don't think I've seen the substance of the PDF program, but there is substance to it right? ....else why would it exist and be so popular AND necessary!!!)
It is very commonly used and presents basically the same "image" of text on everyone's computer, whether they have a PC or a Mac, regardless of what printer they are using, etc. This is an incredibly useful feature, once you have a final document. PDF files are also often smaller and easier to transmit than files in other formats.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

It's 15.9 MBs, according to the site. Yes, after v. 5, they've dropped the term "Acrobat" and have just been calling it "Adobe Reader," but it is the same program.
I see, semantics in namesakes, so names not really relevant if that part of the name carries no purpose. It just identifies the brand in some nonsense way probably, lol. Speaking of purpose, I dig what you're saying the PDF

products, (each and every/ all and none) are for, namely the PDFs. Its a universal format promoting a standard for versatility of image of text I gather. Thats kind of how I've always thought of it and the more you see it everyhwere over the net, the more you realize how widely used it is and why, etc....

Now I want to ask first of all where do you see 15.9 MBs? for which version is that, not the product version 8 is it? because I've stated the size of that which is 20.8 MB. I don't really know what my ideal version would be, as there's no "lite" version as such, but I don't suppose it can't be too big a problem, except just I need to fathom one or technical counterparts applicable in the olds: For instance I will want to know how come I think I saw a version which is something bearly more than a mere 1 MB ??? THAT would be a "lite" version surely, unless I'm seeing something which is not a full package/program.

Quote:

There is no "lite" version of the program, although there are earlier versions, which might or might fulfill your needs, yet be smaller downloads.
So there's no "Lite" version (as such we ascertain) unless I backtrack and consider using one of the older smaller versions maybe?....

Are many of the older versions reliable and functional enough, do you know? I suppose in a nutshell as with all software, its all relative to what is expected with each version and older ones may always I guess be compared to what the latest may have over and above the olds.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My biggest bane about anything 'Free' is that products of any software, especially renound ones like PDF for being ~inverted commas = "Free" are not free after long??...so why is it then manufacturers websites will generally say "on trial"....Do they mean it literally as a trial???
Is it really a 30 day trial like what they tell you (stated) or do sites as big and essential as PDF software sites make it free for all time but just not tell you that??

I suppose failing that, its just a case of renewing each trial download for each version so you always have a free copy, to avoid ever having to buy??????

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:

Now I want to ask first of all where do you see 15.9 MBs? for which version is that, not the product version 8 is it? because I've stated the size of that which is 20.8 MB.
I think that was a mistake on my part. When I looked at the download page you linked, I was using my older Win ME machine. I did not realize then--although it occurs to me now--that that page seems to be reading information about the user's machine before selecting the recommended download. So when I view it, it sees that I am using ME, and refers me to v. 6, while if you view it, it will see that you are using XP, and refer you to v. 8.

Quote:

I don't really know what my ideal version would be, as there's no "lite" version as such, but I don't suppose it can't be too big a problem, except just I need to fathom one or technical counterparts applicable in the olds: For instance I will want to know how come I think I saw a version which is something bearly more than a mere 1 MB ??? THAT would be a "lite" version surely, unless I'm seeing something which is not a full package/program.

So there's no "Lite" version (as such we ascertain) unless I backtrack and consider using one of the older smaller versions maybe?....

Are many of the older versions reliable and functional enough, do you know?
Here, there are two problems, as I see them.

First, if you install the latest version on your computer and then try to install an older version, you may not be allowed to install the older version. The newer version will generate an error message during your attempted installation of older version and prevent you from installing it. This happened to me on my XP machine, where v. 7 was pre-installed and it would not allow me to install v. 6

So, what I'd suggest you do is find a copy of v. 5 and install that. Try it. Then install later versions in chronological order.

Second, as to whether the older versions are reliable, etc., the only answer is to try it and see. I don't mean to be flippant, but it does depend on what you use it for. For example, most of the PDFs I get are just documents or notices or such that I just read. While I'm using v. 6 now, my guess is that v. 5 would read these just as well.

Now, some of what I do with PDFs is to use them to file tax returns. The Internal Revenue Service here in the US makes tax forms available in PDF format. Now, one could print these out on paper and fill them out like any other paper form, but the newer versions of Adobe Reader (5.1 or 5.2 or higher) allow one to "write" in certain sections of forms and to save the written forms in PDF format. I find this very useful in preparing my tax forms and storing them as records. So, for this function, you would need a newer version than v. 5.0.

In addition, I sometimes come across PDF documents that just don't read properly using v. 6. I suspect that I would need to use a newer version to view them. So far, these have been fairly few and far between.

So, I'd suggest that you try downloading v. 5 and seeing how well that would meet your needs, then incrementing to higher versions.

You can find older versions to d/l here:

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you're into scientific/technical stuff it's useful to have a PDF viewer because a lot of those type of documents are in PDF form and you need a viewer to see them. Acrobat reader only reads PDF files; it can't be used to create them. The reader has been free for a long time and I suspect the reason for that is to popularize the PDF format. If you want to create files Adobe also has a writer but that costs about $200 last I checked. There is a free program that creates PDF documents; it's called the openoffice.org office suite. It's a really nice office suite and it's available for Windows and Linux.

Evince. I didn't know what it was so I googled it and it seems it's another PDF viewer. I've tried some other PDF viewers myself like ghostview and KPDF but I like Adobe Reader the best so I'm using that. I'm interested to know more about Evince. Is it new? Does it work well with large documents and have search text and copy text functions.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Evince is a pdf viewer (it can view other documents) and uses the poppler backend. Poppler is a desktop neutral pdf renderer. KPDF may use poppler but I don't know for certain. Evince aims for GNOME integrations which is something I really appreciate as a GNOME user.

It is simple, clean, free (as in freedom) and gets the job done very well.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo View Post

If you're into scientific/technical stuff it's useful to have a PDF viewer because a lot of those type of documents are in PDF form and you need a viewer to see them. Acrobat reader only reads PDF files; it can't be used to create them. The reader has been free for a long time and I suspect the reason for that is to popularize the PDF format. If you want to create files Adobe also has a writer but that costs about $200 last I checked. There is a free program that creates PDF documents; it's called the openoffice.org office suite. It's a really nice office suite and it's available for Windows and Linux.
There are other programs that will convert files to PDF format; some are freeware. The question is: how good are they? I.e., how perfect/imperfect is the conversion? Many of these are a lot smaller than the approximately 100 MB download of OpenOffice.

A converter to PDF format is built into Word Perfect/Corel Office Suite v. 9 and above. Some versions of this program can be purchased for $15 or less.

I doubt the OP would want to change his OS to Linux to view PDFs using Evince.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Quote:

I doubt the OP would want to change his OS to Linux to view PDFs using Evince.
Evince works on BSDs too

Jokes aside, the OP didn't post the OS, so I don't like to jump to conclusions. But if the OP does need to change OSes to use Evince he/she might find a lot of other reasons to changes than simply viewing PDFs in a sane app.

Who knows maybe evince will compile for non-free OSes with a little work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts