VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometimes chat on IRC. Dunno how many of you have done this, but seems like most IRC clients allow you to chat on several channels at once, or have several private conversations at once, with a separate "window" for each conversation.

However, it is easy to start typing comments meant for your private conversation with one person and sending them by mistake to the public channel or another person instead, i.e., sending them to the wrong window.

I thought I'd start a thread about amusing or revealing or embarrassing comments sent to the "wrong window" in IRC. Share your experiences here.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was chatting with my friend Sondra, whom I had not chatted with for several weeks, in a private chat. Another woman, Honey, came on the public channel and (apparently) Sondra was in a private chat with Honey. Sondra must have told Honey that she was also chatting with me, and Honey must have asked what we were chatting about.

Sondra answered as follows, but sent the answer to me by mistake:

Quote:

yeah, Joe is asking me a bunch of absolutely rediculous questions, havent seen him in ages and he wants to know about somebody elses love life, web page, mexican foul hand gestures, jeeeez louise what a wierdo
I had asked about a channel regular, Suzanne, who had been away from the channel for a number of months. She is a foreign language teacher who had a wonderful webpage about teaching French, the French language, French language resources on the web, etc. She had had a sort of storybook romance with a fellow born in France. They began corresponding with each other and fell in love through their letters. He eventually came to the US from France, they got married, and Suzanne used to talk about him all the time.

Then Suzanne left the channel for a number of months, coming back briefly just to let us know that she and her husband had separated, but might be getting back together. I tried to visit the webpage recently, but it was taken down. So, I asked Sondra if she knew what was going on with Suzanne, her separation, and her webpage.

I also asked Sondra--who was married to a man born in Mexico, speaks fluent Spanish, has visited Mexico numerous times, etc.--about the hand gesture that Clint Eastwood's character makes toward a Mexican-American police officer in the film "Blood Work," which I had just seen recently.

I guess I didn't see these questions as being all that strange, but I guess "weirdo-ness" is in the eye of the beholder.

It's fascinating to find out what other people really think of you.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Personally, having seen what a weirdo you are around here at veggieboards, I tend to believe Sondra's version of what happened, and think that all the stuff you are telling us about what you said, is a total fabrication.

I mean, I don't even have to read anything you say, to know you are a weirdo. I can tell by your choice of screen names. Joe. Hahahahahaha. Who would call themselves Joe? A regular guy? No way. A weirdo, that's who.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I haven't had anything too dramatic get put in the wrong AIM window. Pretty innocous stuff like someone new IMs me, and I'm still typing a message from a previous window. A few times its gone the other way around and in the middle of an involved conversation, I ask someone "How was your day?", intending the question for a person who just got online.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I read on another site about an incident that happened a couple weeks ago on IRC. A 21 year old kid was goofing around. From what I read, he had drug problems in the past. Well, he was chatting on IRC with a bunch of his buddies and had his web cam running as well. I don't know what he was trying to prove or if he was just trying to act like a bad ass, but dude started taking all kinds of medications and chasing it with 151. Others encourage him to take more and he does. He passes out, wakes up for a little, and then dies. People on IRC freak as they try to figure out what to do as the realize that he's actually dieing. The story's been verified to be authentic and not some internet hoax. So sad....all the while he was dieing his mom sat in the other room doing crosswords. This story bothered me for days and actually made me feel ill. In case you want to read it, here it is.

A memorial page

http://www.dovee.org/

his obit:

http://www.legacy.com/azcentral/Lega...ersonId=725033

the IRC chat log:

http://www.dovee.org/ripperlog.txt

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
wow that's awful.

i haven't had any embarassing chat mixups i don't think. i vaguely remember sending to the wrong window once or twice but nothing incriminating so i just laughed and told them.

Joe those don't sound like wierd questions at all. how did you respond to her?

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is amazing, RuthieB. I had not heard that story before, nor anything quite like it.

I also had not heard of Bacardi 151. Do people (besides this unfortunate fellow) really drink that stuff?

They sell grain alcohol at the liquor store that is 190 proof. I asked the manager once what people use it for, and he said they put it in punch bowls, that sort of thing. But I can't imagine drinking it, or even 151, straight.

In case it is not obvious, I do not approve of "enabling" the self-destructive behavior of others. Egging this fellow on, encouraging him to "eat it/eat more," take more drugs, etc.--very bad, very immoral. All in all, a very sad story.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LadyFaile

Joe those don't sound like wierd questions at all. how did you respond to her?
I just laughed. We have been cyber-friends for years, so it is not a big deal. She also said she was tired when she first came on the channel, but felt like stopping in before going to sleep, so I make allowances for people being tired and a little cranky.

Besides, she may be right. Maybe I am a real weirdo.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ruthie, speaking of such stuff, I used to know this lovely lady who unfortunately had a real drinking problem. She and I were talking on AOL one night years ago and she told me that she had taken a lot of Halcion and was chasing it with a couple botttles of wine, and she really was disoriented. After a bit she just quit talking and I figured that she passed out, but I started to get a bit worried thinking that she might die, so I tried to call her. Her number was busy, busy busy, for like half an hour. I called the operator and convinced them to check and they said that it wasn't in use, must be off the hook. Well, I toyed around with what to do and finally I decided that I needed to call an old buddy and former classmate of mine, who was then the District Attorney in her county (about 3 hours away from me). I woke his ass up at 1 am and told him that I needed him to make a call for me and get some cops to go over there to see if she was all right. He cussed me for a while, told me it wasn't his job to tend to my paramours, he had enough trouble with is own, yada yada, but he finally said he would. Turns out that the cops jumped all over it when the head DA called to request a check and they sent two squad cars out there. They couldn't get her to the door and wound up breaking it in. That woke her up and after they talked to her a while they decided that she was ok and didn't take her to the ER. Now SHE was pissed at me for sending the cops over there, my buddy was riled up that I woke him up, it was just a no win situation

Eh, drunks, whatcha gonna do ???

Bank, no longer so quick to be the good samaritan . . .

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ugh! But if it had turned out that she was really in need of medical attention or die, then you would have been a hero (along with your DA buddy). I believe you did the right thing. Better safe than sorry....some people though. The net has certainly opened some new doors to issues that would have never been talked about except for behind closed doors. And then you have the fact anything you put out there is a solid record for use for whatever reason. IRC and chat rooms are more dangerous if you ask me because once you hit enter, it's out there for the world to see. No taking it back. Like in Joe's scenario. I'm sure his perception has changed of the lady who type her message in the wrong window.

·
Banned
559 Posts
how funny..(but not really)- that's how i got into the mess with a certain alcoholic - some chat thing and this freak was drunk as all get out and suicidal and ****, and ah, me, i felt bad for him and then took the physcho under my wing for way too long. i continue to kick myself over it. this is why i dont do those chat things anymore (well, that and i have better things to do with my time).

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i saw a story like that on the news a couple months ago. some kid was talking to a cyber friend in Finland (i think) and she told him she was having an asthma attack and couldn't breathe, but was home alone or whatever. so he called his local 911 and they patched it through to the girl's town in Finland and in a little while an ambulance showed up at her house. saved her life. pretty cool

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
LF,

I heard about that, too. It was pretty neat to read about something positive that people have done via the internet, for a change.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Right. There is a big difference between an asma attack and people intentionally making themselves sick with drugs. I'm not surprised the asma story worked out well, and the drunk stories worked out poorly. If you are someone's friend, you help them do what they want to do. If that is poison themselves into permanent injury and death, then helping them requires helping them do just that, not helping them live. If you insist on going contrary to their self-destructive wishes, the only thing that can happen is they will make you self-destruct too; it never works out where you make them better. I say, be a friend, and help them get kill themselves quicker and more humanely, instead of prolonging their agony.

I find people who use alcohol excessively and self-destructively, to be ugly and repellant. Yech. I don't understand why anyone has any sympathy for them.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
um.

alcoholism is a disease. people often can't admit to themselves that they're sick and need help, so they'll continue to harm themselves until they die or until they figure out or someone helps them figure out that they are ill. just because a person lashes out at themselves because of whatever may be going on inside them or in their lives, does not mean we should not help them and i resent you saying so.

if a friend of family member of mine was sick with an addiction i would do everything i could to help them even if they made it difficult for me to do so.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
This topic reminded me of part of that fictional AIM dialogue between Pres. G.W. Bush and Bin Laden. Here's the copied and pasted part of the dialogue that I was thinking of:

BinLaden9151: and ur troops will be like, relax yall, just have a happy meal!!

XprezbushX: so whut r u wearing

BinLaden9151: ???

XprezbushX: sorry wrong window lol

BinLaden9151: lol

XprezbushX: ok so whut were u saying

BinLaden9151: like

BinLaden9151: basically

BinLaden9151: a lot of all the jets and tanks and gunships that terrorize us might as well be painted red, white and blue

XprezbushX: a/s/l

BinLaden9151: ???

XprezbushX: sorry wrong window again

·
Banned
559 Posts
LF - i agree - if someone close to me suddenly became reliant on alcohol or drugs, an eating disorder, etc, whatever- i would no doubt help them. i was just trying to say that i wouldnt go out of my way to help someone i didn't know. having been there done that, and put way too much effort into and having very little positive outcome, i'm bitter, oh yes. so be it when he dies of liver damage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts