VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am new to veggieboards.com and would like to share my thoughts about something that just happened to my daughter and may be get some feedback, opinions, similar stories from other vegetarians.

My daughter has been a vegetarian since birth and never ate meat in any form, she is now 7 years old. On december 9th, 2006, and January 8th 2007 (yesterday), she had a seizure and vomitted, she had an EEG in between that was normal but suggested a possibility for seizure activity.

My concern is that her second seizure happened at school in the cafetaria and when I got to the E.R. she was still covered with vomit that obviously contained meat. After questionning her, she admitted to have eaten at the cafetaria sometimes for the past month, and had meat several times (I have always packed her lunch and she made sure she emptied it before I got home). I went to her school to obtain a copy of the dates when she ate their food, and it surprised me to realize that she had meat for the first time on December 7, followed by December 8 (pork that day) which was the day before her first seizure. She also just had finished a meatball sub before she had her second seizure and heavily vomitted. I can't help but thinking that it cannot be a coincidence and that meat toxicity is strong enough to provoke something of that nature. I have withdrawn her from school and we will start home schooling and refused to put her on the suggested lifetime harsh medicine.

Has anyone faced anything similar, I would really appreaciate any thoughts because doctors and non-vegetarians think I simply do not make sense.

Thanks,

Florence

·
Registered
278 Posts
ohmigosh, i dont know anything that will be of use to you, but i just wanted to say that my heart goes out to you. thats a very scary thing to have happen! and the dates are uncanny.

good luck with everything, and i really hope that you get the help that you need!

ETA: I work with people who seizure, so I'm interested to hear what people have to say about all this

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
What *do* the doctors think it is? I think the most important thing is to get the most accurate information possible so you can make the most informed medical decisions for your daughter. I am not surprised that most doctors wouldn't know much about what affects eating meat for a girl who grew up vegetarian would be, but what about contacting more doctors? Or finding out if there is something your daughter is allergic to?

It could just be a coincidence. It's quite possible your daughter has been eating meat off other kid's trays every day for a long time, but that for some reason tends to get seizures at lunch time. Or it could be something in the school's food, not necessarily meat.

First priority should be to find the actual cause and prognosis. Seizures can result in injury or death. They can cause a child to grow up feeling like a freak with constant worry of embarassment. They can mean she never drives. I think you just need more information before you decide to not give her pills.

Do you have a particular substance in mind when you say "meat toxicity"?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Please check out, if there were flickering lights in the cafeteria, as they might provoke seizures. And then you had to tell yoput daughter better stay away from those.

·
Banned
0 Posts
flo220675, that is so scary indeed. Well here's what I read, epilepsy is a seizure disorder. Seizures can have many causes in children, most of them neurological. However, a child that has seizures does not necessarily have epilepsy, many children who have a single seizure will never have another.

·
Registered
375 Posts
There is no 'meat toxicity'. Meat isn't inherently toxic and almost nobody, aside from a few of the more... interesting... members are going to claim it is. There are too many factors to take into account and too little evidence to suggest, with accuracy, that meat caused her seizures. Correlation is not causation; this is basic material. Cafeterias often use fluorescent lighting, so I like that idea because I, although without epilepsy, am particularly sensitive to them and they bother me quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

this thread is 3 years old and was bounced by a spammer. the OP hasn't been back.
Remember not to long ago how baffled I was about an old threads being reserected being a bad thing. Honestly, I didn't get it until this morning. I had typed out a long involved post right here and then had a lightbulb moment about the dates given IN the post (yes, it took me THAT long!) and thought durrrrr.

11,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post

it would seem I have been made a fool
well maybe not. you've clarified the situation for lurking peeps who might have been bruising the web randomly, stumbled across this, and mistakenly got the idea that there is this thing called meat toxicity that causes seizures. and for the rest of us too. and the OP could have this thread set in her subscriptions, and might get an email letting her know there have been new posts, and may come back. never know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts