VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have learned that many people suffer from having their body the wrong PH.

In order to correct this you have to eat either acid or alkaline foods depending on which is the problematic area?.

Anyone else heard this before?.

Teh source person is very vigerious and healthy so I'm inclined to believe there might some truth behind it.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I've heard this from several sources. In fact I have a chart on my fridge which tells me which foods to eat to become more alkaline (buy I don't do a very good job of sticking to alkaline foods). I think that those who adhere to this theory believe that most people are too acidic and must consume more alkaline foods. One of my favourite vegan athletes is into this acid/alkaline theory:

Quote:
I have heard about maintaining a pH balance in the body, but I don't understand why it's important. Could you explain pH and why alkaline foods are important?

It amazes me how little attention the value of balanced pH has garnered from the mainstream medical world. Positive acid/alkaline balance is one of the most important factors in athletic performance. In my opinion, by disregarding this fact, sport supplement manufactures have significantly reduced the effectiveness of their products. In fact some of the energy bars currently on the market are the worst offenders. Processed for the sake of shelf life and convenience, and consequently denatured and acid forming, many energy bars are not much more than disguised junk food.

When acidic forming food is consumed, starting with digestion and continuing until elimination, it produces toxins that the body must deal with. Denatured foods are toxin producers and as a result have the greatest negative impact on pH balance within the body. Highly refined and processed, denatured foods are void of any usable nutrients, yet retain their caloric value - the worst combination. Toxins in the body lead to premature aging through cell degeneration. Aside from food, most prescription drugs, artificial sweeteners and synthetic vitamin and mineral supplements are extremely acid forming...
http://www.vegparadise.com/athlete7.html

He goes on to give a more complete answer.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
I don't know Mr. Sun. The content of your quote sounds a bit funny to me. What does the author mean by denatured?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Well, he's an 80% raw foodist so I think he might be talking about any kind of overly processed food. I don't even know what denatured means, though, so I'm only guessing.

Later on that same page he writes:

Quote:
The paradox is this; most protein sources are highly acid forming, yet the highly alkaline forming foods are generally low in protein. This can be overcome if the protein sources are chosen carefully. Raw, unprocessed, natural, hemp protein, for example, measures at about 50% protein, yet is greatly less acid forming than common denatured ones such as soy and whey. Hemp's higher pH level can be attributed in part to chlorophyll content, responsible for its green colour.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

Well, he's an 80% raw foodist so I think he might be talking about any kind of overly processed food. I don't even know what denatured means, though, so I'm only guessing.

Later on that same page he writes:
He makes some great points. I'm thinking he might be using the word denatured incorrectly but maybe there are other uses of the term that I don't know about. In my lingo, denatured means deconformation of a protein (like that helps lol) or loss of structural shape of a protein, which is necessary for it to function. That's what our stomach acids do to proteins. Also, I never know what people mean when they speak of toxins. That one usually confuses me. Again tho, it looks like a pretty informative article tho I suspect it's mostly gearged towards atheletes.

**please forgive any spelling errors, it's late over here**

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Ahhh, deconformation. Now it all makes sense. Yes, when a nucleic molecule undergoes deconformation it's substrate becomes disconbobulated and therefore is rendered ineffective for metabolic purposes. But it's getting late for me too and I may have just written a bunch of gibberish.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

Ahhh, deconformation. Now it all makes sense. Yes, when a nucleic molecule undergoes deconformation it's substrate becomes disconbobulated and therefore is rendered ineffective for metabolic purposes. But it's getting late for me too and I may have just written a bunch of gibberish.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Excessive acidity creates a breeding ground for disease. Extreme acidity can be an indication of disease already present.

Excessive alkalinity is rare and doesn't seem to be as big of a problem, but can result in digestive issues and discomfort.

Most of the information online seems to be from people selling products to correct one's pH balance, but http://www.naturalhealthschool.com/acid-alkaline.html, http://www.happyherbalist.com/alkaline_acid_balance.htm, and http://preventdisease.com/fitness/nu..._alkaline.html give an overview of the subject.

http://www.reynoldsoffice.com/ph.htm offers a decent chart of acid/alkaline foods.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The little bit that I've read claims that saliva pH is reflective of blood pH. See http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/salivaphtest.htm for one example. A couple of authers imply that saliva pH is a precise indicator of blood pH (i.e. if saliva pH is 7.0, then blood pH will be the same), but this theory doesn't seem to mesh too well with other claims that blood pH must stay within a relatively narrow window in order to sustain life.

All that said, I'm just another interested party researching this topic for personal benefit. My mom has been having some rather serious health problems that the family doctor can't seem to get to the bottom of. She started doing the pH testing at the recommendation of a natural health practioner, and the results have been rather alarming ... especially in light of the fact that we have a strong family history of cancer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts