VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm writing a small research paper on veganism. It is really small and only needs to be about 7 pages long. I'm looking for credible sources to answer the question "Is veganism healthy to the human body and to the environment".

What I'm going to try to prove is that you can get all of the nutrients needed for the human body from plant-based sources. I have to use scientific research or common knowledge (such as green leafy vegs have vitamin A and protein). So nothing can really come from vegan.com or anything. I also want to prove that being vegan really does help the environment.

I went with these two points instead of the AR route because I think that these will be something that a broader range of people would take notice on.

Plus, when I turned in my abstract my prof said "oh, I didn't eat meat for about ten years. But then I just HAD TO HAVE SOME MEAT". I just looked kind puzzled. And then he went on to say that he would be interested to see if you can get all of your nutrients on a vegan diet. Sounds like a challenge to me!

Okay, any helpful links or studies you know of, please let me know. I will be googling on my own as well. Thanks in advance for any tips!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

So, I'm writing a small research paper on veganism. It is really small and only needs to be about 7 pages long. I'm looking for credible sources to answer the question "Is veganism healthy to the human body and to the environment".

What I'm going to try to prove is that you can get all of the nutrients needed for the human body from plant-based sources. I have to use scientific research or common knowledge (such as green leafy vegs have vitamin A and protein). So nothing can really come from vegan.com or anything. I also want to prove that being vegan really does help the environment.
IMHO, your agenda is too broad for a seven-page paper. Your best bet is to not try to conclusively 'prove' anything, but merely discuss the big-ticket items. For example, on the health front, you can discuss the role that saturated fat (largely derived from animal foods) plays in vascular disease. On the environmental front, you can discuss deforestation, herbicide/pesticide usage, and animal waste disposal.

Your prof sounds flaky. I would give him/her a wide berth

Good luck!

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

This is the BEST place for info on the vegan diet with regards to health:

http://www.veganhealth.org/

Here is a summary of the health research:

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/research

Table of Contents for the rest of the site:

http://www.veganhealth.org/sh

Good luck with the paper!!
I agree. I was going to recommend PCRM but then you said you wanted credible sources.

If you want credible, use the references cited on veganhealth.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you have time, you might read The china study. I've heard excelent things about it, altough it's gathered some negative reviews. I just got it from my library yesterday so I haven't gone over it myself.

Like Runswithfoxes said, your topic might be too broad for a seven page paper. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I know it may indeed be too broad. Maybe I'll just focus on the healthy environment with a few paragraphs explaining how people can get essential nutrients from plants that are commonly thought to only come from animal based foods.

Think that would work?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think the China Study will be far too complex for a paper such as this. That book is actually a summary of many research studies aimed at defining the role of nutrition in disease and it is considerably controversial.

You may consider starting with a intro-level biochemistry textbook to first layout what nutrients are actually essential for human consumption and why they are essential (i.e. amino acids, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, minerals, etc.) Then research on how much of these nutrients we need each day (search for "dietary reference intakes" in google). Then see if you can find references that show what foods these nutrients can be found in and in what quantities (finding credible scientific sources for this part could be a lot of work, you can try PubMED if all else fails... of course focus on the veggies!).

Tie all those components together, and I think you could have a very nice 7 page research paper (theres definitely plenty to talk about)!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^ Exactly. Very sad. And really that is all he could say. And when I started going into why veganism was good for you he just sat there and said "oh really, I didn't know that..." with nothing to reply.

I hope my paper can at least make him think about going back to veg.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE: I got my vegan paper graded and I got a 99% on it! He must have really liked it. I ended up just going the health route with it because that gave more than enough information as some VBers had guessed.

Thanks for all of your help guys. This thread really helped me to get started on it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

UPDATE: I got my vegan paper graded and I got a 99% on it! He must have really liked it. I ended up just going the health route with it because that gave more than enough information as some VBers had guessed.

Thanks for all of your help guys. This thread really helped me to get started on it.
Congratulations!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts