VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i think you will be seeing a lot of me from now on! only just found this forum today and this board looks great!

have a 2.5yr old who refuses to eat meat even blended into soup - no idea how he knows but after fighting it for a year we have decided to embrace it and the whole family minus cats are turning vege!

we also have a 8 month old baby who we are weaning at the moment.

what ages are everyone elses kids?

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
congrats!

why are you weaning an 8 mo old? the 'authorities' suggest 1-2 years of nursing. do you plan on bottle or cup feeding pumped breast milk? it's probably the best food for baby all around. i would definately keep that in the baby's diet for as long as possible!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes she will still have milk! but you are advised to introuduce solids from around 6 months. then as the solid portions get bigger the milk portions get smaller until eventually it is just a milk feed for night time

·
Registered
637 Posts
That's great how your kid made you become veggie !

I have an almost-6-year-old girl who is the pickiest kid on earth. All 3 of us are lacto/ovo (minimal dairy) at home, my husband is omni outdoors. The cat eats regular catfood.

I nursed my daughter until she was 26 months old but we introduced solids at 4 months (pureed veggies for starters) because she had major digestive trouble (she's still very sensitive, maybe hence the pickiness too...).

Our kid wants to become a vet or an animal caretaker at the zoo later, she's very good with animals, has great instincts about them, and understands about not eating animal friends. I do occasionally have to keep her away from cocktail sausages though (yuck)... once they start school they're exposed to all sorts of temptations !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i suppose theres always lunchboxes but it depends what thier friends are doing! also when i was at school we used to swap lunchbox contents anyway!

i have a few years to debate this one lol you will have to let me know what you decide!

·
Registered
637 Posts
She does take a lunchbox (her school does not do warm lunches) but yes, she sees what others eat... and then there's birthday treats and whatnot... last year they had a picnic one day on the playground of the school and of course one girl brought this big box of... cocktail sausages... to share ! and so it goes on !

You'll see, the day will come sooner than you think... luckily our daycare (age 3 months-3 years) provided full veggie lunches. I'm still very good friends with the cook from the former daycare, her little girl is the same age as mine, they were there together. But once school starts they sort of claim some independence and start getting defiant (it's MY lunch and I decide what I will eat...) ... you just wait ! LOL !

Sorry if I'm rambling...

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
My 3 girls (16, 13, 6) always took veggie lunches and rarely traded - usually pretty "harmless" stuff like chips or sodas. They have all tried various meat items from time to time out of curiosity, (their Dad is omni) and the youngest will eat chicken nuggets if there's no other options (like when Dad HAS to go to McDonalds - ugh) otherwise they're pretty immune to the rest of the stuff. The youngest can't read labels yet, so I don't have illusions that she's avoiding everything, and that's perfectly OK.

I just provided them with really good lunches, (Have you seen the Vegan Lunch Box site?) and didn't make a fuss if the traded, or whatever. They figured out on their own that they didn't care for a lot of things, or cared more about the animals than what they were eating.

Provide a GREAT example; provide fresh, fun, great-tasting foods; and don't make them feel bad if they choose chicken nuggets instead... you'll be surprised how well they stick to the whole vegetarian thing.

I've worked in many classrooms and childcare centers and it seems that MOST kids naturally don't like meat. Very few of them would eat it as their first choice.

(Oh, and I nursed my kids until they were around 3 - just because you add solids does not mean they'll automatically wean themselves, they wean when they're ready if parents/circumstances don't interfere.)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Welcome, ladyinred! My baby is on the way, lol. My husband and I are both vegetarians and we are very happy to have a little veggie baby on the way. :) Welcome to the board!!!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
lady:

i get what you're saying. there are a lot of different ideas about how to breastfeed and what not after introducing solids. I'm just glad that she'll still get milk! it's so important (nutritionally and otherwise).

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I think by weaning she simply meant introducing solid foods. Not stopping the boobie..

Hi Lady. I have a very small one as well! She's 6 months old, and she is also getting little bites of solid food. How much fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts