VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a pet chicken and I do eat her eggs or give them away to be eaten when she lays them.

I don't like to eat eggs from the store because the chickens that lay them are abused horribly.

My dearest Sunshine is a happy chicken who usually lives outside (except in extreme weather when she stayes safe in the guest bathroom until the weather passes) and has many wild bird friends who visit her aviary. When I am working in the garden she joins me so I can supervise the stray cats and keep her safe while she gets to play outside a bit. She loves eating the roaches in the banana trees. Whenever she sees that we are going to work in the banana patch she does this cutie little happy dance where she scratches her feet in the ground and stomps in a circle.

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
I'm just wondering if chickens react to losing their eggs at all?

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
To the OP: No I would not. There are many threads here that discuss why people may be against this.

For me, it's simple: They are not mine to take. I am repulsed by the thought of eating them. I may be allergic also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post

Some do, yes.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post

I too have companion chickens. The dogs, the parrots and I eat their eggs.

A hen doesn't care about her eggs once she lays them, unless she's broody (wants to sit on them). A broody hen doesn't care whether she's sitting on her eggs or on other hens' eggs. (Hens tend to lay eggs in a couple of places, with multiple hens using the same spot.) When one of my hens goes broody (it's the same one that does once or twice a year in my flock), I mark some of the eggs with a magic marker and leave them for her to set on until she gets over it. Now that a rooster is part of the flock, I'll boil those eggs first, since I don't want chicks.

One of my duck girls occasionally goes broody, but she's so sporadic about it, leaving the eggs for hours at a time, that I don't have any concern about ducklings hatching.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would. 'cause i know the chicken/s would be well looked after and lead a happy life. x

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I wouldn't buy chickens to keep as my own, as I'm fairly sure they would all come from breeders who kill at least some of the male offspring as they serve no commercial need. However if one day I owned recscue chickens I wouldn't consider it immoral or wrong to eat their eggs - there are reasons people have against this, but for me they're simply not compelling enough to say it would be wrong to do so.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Personally? No, I wouldn't as I don't feel they're mine to take (this is coming from an animal rights point of view). Another argument is that domestic chickens have been bred to lay many, many times more eggs than is natural and their bodies can be leeched of nutrients so some choose to feed the eggs back to their chickens to replenish those nutrients.

From an animal welfare perspective, if the chickens are well cared for throughout their lives, many are fine with taking some of the eggs laid. Also, my preference would be to adopt rescue chickens as opposed to buying them from a hatchery. Standard practice in most hatcheries is to kill male chicks through gassing, suffocation or being put through a meat grinder alive. Another issue I have with hatcheries is that I've heard chicks can be shipped from hatcheries through postal/UPS/Fed Ex services to endure harsh conditions. :/ Not a great way to start a chick's life.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I most likely wouldn't. But I wouldn't have a massive ethical issue with it if someone else did.

The general idea of taking something from an animal that isn't mine to take doesn't sit well with me, even if taking the extra eggs (after giving the chickies back ones to eat) from chickens I knew were leading fabulous lives at my house doesn't really bother me. So I wouldn't. But if I had egg-eaters in my family, I'd make sure they ate eggs from our chickens, never from the store, because I would feel ethically okay with that...

I dunno if any of that made sense. I haven't had enough sleep.

*gestures vaguely*

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

Personally? No, I wouldn't as I don't feel they're mine to take (this is coming from an animal rights point of view). Another argument is that domestic chickens have been bred to lay many, many times more eggs than is natural and their bodies can be leeched of nutrients so some choose to feed the eggs back to their chickens to replenish those nutrients.
The problem with feeding the eggs to the chickens is that, the higher the protein content of their food, the more they lay. I feed the egg shells to the chickens, because that replenishes their calcium. But I don't want to make them lay more, so they don't get the eggs fed to them.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I most likely wouldn't. But I wouldn't have a massive ethical issue with it if someone else did.

The general idea of taking something from an animal that isn't mine to take doesn't sit well with me, even if taking the extra eggs (after giving the chickies back ones to eat) from chickens I knew were leading fabulous lives at my house doesn't really bother me. So I wouldn't. But if I had egg-eaters in my family, I'd make sure they ate eggs from our chickens, never from the store, because I would feel ethically okay with that...

I dunno if any of that made sense. I haven't had enough sleep.

*gestures vaguely*
that made sense and i agree, except with the "Most likely wouldnt" - make it definately wouldnt. i would give them away to friends and family though, if there were enough, to stop them buying commercial eggs

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

From an animal welfare perspective, if the chickens are well cared for throughout their lives, many are fine with taking some of the eggs laid. Also, my preference would be to adopt rescue chickens as opposed to buying them from a hatchery. Standard practice in most hatcheries is to kill male chicks through gassing, suffocation or being put through a meat grinder alive. Another issue I have with hatcheries is that I've heard chicks can be shipped from hatcheries through postal/UPS/Fed Ex services to endure harsh conditions. :/ Not a great way to start a chick's life.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

The problem with feeding the eggs to the chickens is that, the higher the protein content of their food, the more they lay. I feed the egg shells to the chickens, because that replenishes their calcium. But I don't want to make them lay more, so they don't get the eggs fed to them.
The group I used to volunteer for boiled the eggs, minced them, and fed them to the chickens. They never noticed an increase in laying caused by this practice. I suppose it could depend on the breed of chicken though.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

The group I used to volunteer for boiled the eggs, minced them, and fed them to the chickens. They never noticed an increase in laying caused by this practice. I suppose it could depend on the breed of chicken though.
Probably also depends on the total amount of protein they get. Mine find and eat a lot of insects, worms, etc.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

that made sense and i agree, except with the "Most likely wouldnt" - make it definately wouldnt. i would give them away to friends and family though, if there were enough, to stop them buying commercial eggs
Though yes, I could say I definitely wouldn't, I am attempting to have a bit of a "never say never" attitude.

I don't KNOW what might happen. I might end up in some post-apocalyptic horror show, living on a farm in Tennessee where I used to work (because, hey, it's a farm and we can grow crops and have a well with hand-pumps, and it's the closest thing I know to self-sufficient, so I would run there post-apocalypse), and it comes down to butchering the cows or eating the chickens' eggs. And then I'd eat the eggs.

What? It's EXTREMELY likely.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I really want a few pet chickens, and if I get them, I'll give the eggs away to friends and family. I wouldn't see an ethical problem with it because I still eat eggs if they're in something (like bread or a cake) but they gross me out on their own. :p

·
Registered
770 Posts
If they are rescues I don't see an issue with it. I have no interest in it but no problem with it either.

A few people have brought up an issue about taking something that belongs to the chicken, not to them. I understand this standpoint when talking about milk from cows, honey from bees, etc. but what does a chicken do with an unfertilized egg? I have no idea.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Unless you're rescuing chickens it's hard to get laying hens wherein their male counterparts weren't destroyed. IF I had rescue chickens AND they laid eggs... my husband would eat them. He's omni :p

·
Registered
193 Posts
I do want to raise chickens. I know my partner will eat them and my daughter. I don't eat eggs because they gross me out (all I think is chicken periods), but before being vegan I did use them in baking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.