VeggieBoards banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Happy Veggie
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've been a vegetarian for 3 months now (time really fly's by) It's been good but I do consider going vegan only there is a few problems. 1 Most vegans eat nuts and i'm deathly allergic to them! 2 I eat eggs almost everyday and my family eats pizza a lot and I love my pizza. 3 I'm also worried I won't get enough food to eat my family is very large (10 people including me!) so we spend a lot of money as it is.4 Also I'm addicted to candy and chips I really want to make sure i'm healthy and getting enough stuff in my diet i'm only 13 and want to live a long healthy life but don't want to waste my parent's food money.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I don't know, maybe try incorporating more vegan meals into your day? Switch out your grilled cheese for peanut butter sandwiches, your eggs for oats?

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
You dont need to eat nuts (or soy, or any specific food item- really). I've been vegan for over 4 years and I think its been 2 years since I last ate nuts. I quit soy the day I became vegan just to be a radical :cool:
Just build up from the most basic foundation of diet to specifics, based on whats available and what you like.
That'd be like...
¤ Main calorie source. Think grains, potatoes, sweet potatoes, pseudograins, like that.
¤ Some more protein rich stuff like beans, pulses, seeds.
¤ Planty stuff for nutrients. Like green vegetables and other color vegetables and some fruit.
¤ Spices and luxury foods.

Prepackaged and factory made foods really cost a lot. Especially if its made for vegans. If you cook from scratch, and dont rely on recipes that call for exotic and expensive things, you may find your food budget actually goes down significantly.
One of the most useful skills I've developed is teaching myself to cook meals without a recipe. If I am missing an ingredient its never a problem.

The transition doesnt have to be overnight. Progress at the speed you reasonably can, if your serious about the goal it doesnt matter so much if you achieve it in a week or a year, so long as you achieve it.

·
Happy Veggie
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You dont need to eat nuts (or soy, or any specific food item- really). I've been vegan for over 4 years and I think its been 2 years since I last ate nuts. I quit soy the day I became vegan just to be a radical :cool:
Just build up from the most basic foundation of diet to specifics, based on whats available and what you like.
That'd be like...
¤ Main calorie source. Think grains, potatoes, sweet potatoes, pseudograins, like that.
¤ Some more protein rich stuff like beans, pulses, seeds.
¤ Planty stuff for nutrients. Like green vegetables and other color vegetables and some fruit.
¤ Spices and luxury foods.

Prepackaged and factory made foods really cost a lot. Especially if its made for vegans. If you cook from scratch, and dont rely on recipes that call for exotic and expensive things, you may find your food budget actually goes down significantly.
One of the most useful skills I've developed is teaching myself to cook meals without a recipe. If I am missing an ingredient its never a problem.

The transition doesnt have to be overnight. Progress at the speed you reasonably can, if your serious about the goal it doesnt matter so much if you achieve it in a week or a year, so long as you achieve it.
I love cooking from scratch because I can personalize it. Also baked potatoes are my life I could live off of them. Thanks for the tips I'm going to slowly like very slowly work towards being a vegan :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
If you cook yourself you can make a lot of very cheap meals. Vegans are the cheapest people to feed.

As to sharing pizza with your family, there are quite a few vegan pizza options where I live. I still share the occasional pizza meal with my family. Sometimes I will just be there for the social experience though, depending on what there is. Sometimes I will also make something to eat so we can still share the experience.

If you want to make sure you get enough nutrition, check out chronometer. It's easy to use.

·
just add raisins
114 Posts
As well as there possibly being local places you can buy vegan pizza from, it's really easy to make your own! You can either buy pizza dough (a lot is vegan) or easily make your own, load it up with veggies. The Post Punk Kitchen has a recipe for sunflower seed mac and cheesy sauce you might want to check out - http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/sunflower-mac/. To me it doesn't taste that cheesy but the sauce is still good to drizzle over things you might want a sauce on, like pizza.

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
1 Most vegans eat nuts and i'm deathly allergic to them!

-You don't have to eat nuts to be a vegan.

2 I eat eggs almost everyday and my family eats pizza a lot and I love my pizza.

-Vegan pizza exists. Egg substitutes also exist - e.g. The Vegg.

3 I'm also worried I won't get enough food to eat my family is very large (10 people including me!) so we spend a lot of money as it is.

-A lot of vegan food is reasonably priced.

4 Also I'm addicted to candy and chips I really want to make sure i'm healthy and getting enough stuff in my diet i'm only 13 and want to live a long healthy life but don't want to waste my parent's food money.

-Candy and chips (presumably you mean crisps heh) can be vegan. You should take a vegan multivitamin and drink fortified soya/ rice/ almond milk.

:bobo: So in summary yes you can go vegan :bobo:

·
Happy Veggie
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 Most vegans eat nuts and i'm deathly allergic to them!

-You don't have to eat nuts to be a vegan.

2 I eat eggs almost everyday and my family eats pizza a lot and I love my pizza.

-Vegan pizza exists. Egg substitutes also exist - e.g. The Vegg.

3 I'm also worried I won't get enough food to eat my family is very large (10 people including me!) so we spend a lot of money as it is.

-A lot of vegan food is reasonably priced.

4 Also I'm addicted to candy and chips I really want to make sure i'm healthy and getting enough stuff in my diet i'm only 13 and want to live a long healthy life but don't want to waste my parent's food money.

-Candy and chips (presumably you mean crisps heh) can be vegan. You should take a vegan multivitamin and drink fortified soya/ rice/ almond milk.

:bobo: So in summary yes you can go vegan :bobo:
Oh thank you everyone! Next time we go shopping for food I'm going to ask my grandma if I can buy a few vegan food items whenever we go shopping she lets me pick out a few vegetarian things now lets go to vegan things :) Again Thanks everyone!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love pizza too. Before going vegan I use to live off of frozen pizza and it was probably pretty unhealthy. What I would recommend is checking out your local supermarkets and health food stores (you really have to go on like explorational trips) to see what vegan cheese options there are in your area and how reasonably they're priced (keeping in mind that sales may occur to bring the price down- this is another thing you kind of have to familiarize yourself with, which places have occasional sales). Another plus is if you were able to find premade pizza crust (it may not say it is specifically vegan on the package but if there are no obvious animal products you can send the company a quick email to check). Obviously, you can make your own cheese and crust but this might seem a little intimidating if you're just starting out. In my area, the frozen vegan pizzas (brands like Daiya and Amys) are a few dollars more expensive than their non-veg counterparts and I just would never spend that price for a frozen pizza.
The best pizza I've had since being vegan is pretty time intensive but I love it. Sorry, I'm not a professional chef but the recipe goes something like:
Step 1) Refrigerate can of (full-fat) coconut milk until cold.
Step 2) Cut up 3 large tom into thin slices. Bake at 400 degrees in olive oil for approx. 30 minutes, until the tips are looking like they might be burnt.
Step 3) Make dough- this recipe is easy and the dough doesn't require a rolling pin: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe.html
Step 4) Fork the tomatoes out of the pan and into a bowl (try not to take the oil with you). Empty pan oil into sink. Transfer dough to pan and try to pat it down flat into the pans shape. Sprinkle some flour on top of dough and wipe oil on your hands to keep the dough from sticking to you. In the past I've preheated my dough for maybe 20 minutes just to make sure it bakes but this has the result that the dough becomes pretty thick so I'm not sure if it is necessary.
Step 5) Empty the cream at the top of coconut milk can into another bowl with a little bit of the coconut milk (roughly using 2/3 can). Mix up the cream with a fork to smooth it out, pour onto dough. Top with tomato slices, 3 cloves garlic, 1 small onion, 1 red pepper, 9 leaves basil, some spinach, some olives, a tablespoon oregano and salt. Push toppings down into coconut milk.
Step 6) Bake at 375 degrees for approx. 1 hour, covering the top of the pizza with aluminum after about 30 min when the toppings look well done.
It may seem weird to use coconut milk on a pizza but it tastes amazing.

Not sure if you want to be vegan for health reasons but I would really recommend googling some information about egg-laying chickens, dairy cows etc. Love of animals kind of takes over for me but healthy nutrition is also important. You should check out veganhealth.org.

I would also recommend experimenting with different cuisines -Mexican tacos and burritos, Indian curries, Greek bean dishes. There's also some stuff stuff which is particular to the plant-based diet like how to turn tofu into yogurt (light tasting tofu + a few teaspoons lemon + a blender) or using flaxseed meal in baking or making chickpea fudge (we do weird things).
Some quick and cheap meals off the top of my head:
-Chili: Two cans kidney beans or mixed beans, 1 can diced tomato, a few cloves of garlic, 1/2 a large onion (can be fried first before adding other ingredients if wish to bother) whatever random veggies you have- frozen corn, zucchini, celery, pepper, you can even throw in some TVP (textured soy or vegetable protein), about 7 teaspoons chili, a pinch of cayenne for heat, a teaspoon of cumin, (I also like to add about 1/2 teaspoon oregano but not sure if it really does anything), salt. Heat it for like 15 minutes on medium in a pot.
-Stir fry: Cabbage, green pepper and carrot go well together but I usually do a mix of broccoli +/ bok choy +/ zucchini +/ tofu, drizzled with olive oil/canola oil and soy sauce. I like to add in a few cloves of garlic towards the end for a stronger garlicy taste. You can also add ginger and sesame oil for extra flavor. I just cook it all together in a frying pan on medium heat.
-Black eyed peas: Boil 1 cup black-eyed peas for approx. 30 minutes. Drain water. Add approx. juice of 2 lemons and about 1/2 cup good tasting olive oil (it doesn't have to be expensive olive oil, the walmart brand is fine but there are definitely some brands I am not crazy about). It's simple but it's one of my favorite foods. Olive oil + lemon can basically be used on everything. Boil a mix of veggies, add olive oil + lemon and you're set.

Anyway, sorry to flood you with recipes but there are certainly an ample amount of easy, cheap veg meals out there.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Okay so I've been a vegetarian for 3 months now (time really fly's by) It's been good but I do consider going vegan only there is a few problems. 1 Most vegans eat nuts and i'm deathly allergic to them! 2 I eat eggs almost everyday and my family eats pizza a lot and I love my pizza. 3 I'm also worried I won't get enough food to eat my family is very large (10 people including me!) so we spend a lot of money as it is.4 Also I'm addicted to candy and chips I really want to make sure i'm healthy and getting enough stuff in my diet i'm only 13 and want to live a long healthy life but don't want to waste my parent's food money.
Congrats on going vegetarian!

1. Most, but not all, vegans eat nuts. You don't 'have' to eat nuts but you may need to look into alternate sources for the nutrients that nuts provide.

2. Do you need to eat eggs every day? I'm guessing no. I had a tofu scramble this morning for breakfast. It was delicious. There are many ways to substitute eggs in cooking. Is there a particular way you have your eggs? Maybe we can come up with some solutions for you!

Pizza- You can make your own and either leave off the cheese completely, or use a vegan cheeze.

3. You will eat more food on a vegetarian/vegan diet. That's just the way it works. But in saying that, it can often be a lot cheaper to eat as a vegetarian or vegan.

Vegan and vegetarian staples, like lentils, chickpeas and tofu (in my case anyway, without them I don't feel like I've eaten :p) are pretty cheap and easily incorporated into meals in the place of meat.

4. I can't help you with your addiction to chips, they're too fantastically scrummy!

But, I can say that at 13 I wish my parents had followed through on teaching me how to cook. Now might be a good time for you to start learning how to do that. It's a wonderful skill to have and by learning how to cook, you're going to learn which foods you can easily make vegan and which ones might take a little extra time. If you think it's a good idea, sit down with your parents and ask them about the food budget, let them know you're concerned and don't want to put extra pressure on them, while still eating the way you want to eat.

Good luck!

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
Oh thank you everyone! Next time we go shopping for food I'm going to ask my grandma if I can buy a few vegan food items whenever we go shopping she lets me pick out a few vegetarian things now lets go to vegan things :) Again Thanks everyone!!!!!!
Great idea! Let us know how you get on :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts